Advice for Mavic Air
2104 16 2019-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

I just received my new Mavic Air yesterday, and I was wondering: for a starter with the Mavic Air (I have had the Spark previously, so tips that are specific to the Mavic would be more beneficial), what is one (or more) tips that you would recommend for someone like me? I'm excited to get started, and I would like to begin getting some tips on how to use it to the fullest.

Thanks forum members!
2019-6-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there, Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our valued DJI co-pilots that currently have Mavic Air. Should you have any concerns please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you have flown a spark you are well on the way to flying your Mavic Air , obvious difference is speed and also this will have effect on breaking, sport mode allow plenty of room when breaking.
Enjoy the 4K and excellent WiFi upgrade from spark WiFi .
Good luck and safe flying .
2019-6-13
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look through the manual regarding active track and smart capture as this is different to the Spark. Try out APAS too. Expect speeds of around 19MPH in P mode and around 42MPH in Sport mode which is indeed much faster than the Spark to be prepared for that difference in velocity. Also experiment with the different resolutions and frame rates. Enjoy your new drone mate
2019-6-13
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

The following tips are based on my experience:
a) First and foremost - paste a label somewhere (preferably the battery side) on the drone about your contact details
b) Use UAV forecast app to know about weather conditions before initiating flight
c) Never fly with less than 11 GPS signal bars
d) Do not wear any smartwatch/ apple watch while switching on / connecting / launching drone
e) Do not fly in high winds (strictly)
f) Use tripod mode for cinematic footages and ND filters
g) Use tracking devices like Loc8tor or Marcopolo or GPS devices (for better safety and tracking of your drone)
h) fly in VLOS
i) Have a spotter with you whenever you intent to fly as its a very small device to locate once its above you by few meters
j) Charge the batteries to 100% just before the flight
k) Make sure all firmware and software updates for remote, aircraft and batteries are done. [As of now stay away from .650 FW latest one)
l) Stay calm during any network disruptions and Enjoy your flight and be creative.

As you can notice, most of the tips are for the safe wellbeing of your drone. Because this drone is notorious to be known for its weak wifi network reception and connection issues. And if god forbid, some incident happens, then the tracker and contact details sticker will help you in getting it back. So dont take those points lightly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & regards,
Dinesh
https://www.youtube.com/XplorerDinesh/?sub_confirmation=1

2019-6-13
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats, I made the same upgrade as you, earlier this year.  My tip applies to the camera and stills. Check out all the photo modes as they are a big improvement upon a Spark. In particular, it’s straightforward to take a 3 image HDR image as it’s a menu option, and then easy to merge in Lightroom etc.
2019-6-13
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

XplorerDinesh Posted at 6-13 23:05
The following tips are based on my experience:
a) First and foremost - paste a label somewhere (preferably the battery side) on the drone about your contact details
b) Use UAV forecast app to know about weather conditions before initiating flight

The OP is progressing from a Spark to a Mavic Air so I think he needs to know specifics regarding the differences between those two drones rather than a generic list of actions for someone to consider who has never flown a drone before.
2019-6-14
Use props
Scotty Shep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

You tube has loads stuff for the Mavic Air
2019-6-14
Use props
QQRUCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

a) First and foremost - paste a label somewhere (preferably the battery side) on the drone about your contact details

"As of now stay away from .650 FW latest one" ??

You mean don't update to 650FW??
2019-6-15
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

QQRUCH Posted at 6-15 07:45
"As of now stay away from .650 FW latest one" ??

You mean don't update to 650FW??

yes, as many people have reported for flight issues, drifting etc.
Also the latest update is specific to Panama region and brings nothing much on the table.

Thanks,
2019-6-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spark and Mavic Air are really similar drones should have purchased a Mavic pro for the same price(refurbished) then you could fly further and have ocusync which has way better conncetion than Spark and MA combined.  Just my honest opinion.  Have fun!
2019-6-17
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

fly at radius fifty to one hundred feet, still winds, not too sunny, consume battery until warned low, observe bird's behavior to gain assurance and confidence of your abilities, the soft, and the hardware, esp integrated as one in flights.
2019-6-17
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

Why not wear Apple Watch? Is it because it could interfere? Can I wear it with airplane mode on my watch?
2019-6-18
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-14 05:42
The OP is progressing from a Spark to a Mavic Air so I think he needs to know specifics regarding the differences between those two drones rather than a generic list of actions for someone to consider who has never flown a drone before.

Familiarity, key word.
Get to know the bird 1st at close radius with favorable conditions flying.
Graduate into mediocre favorable conditions, still close radius.
After assurance of YOUR FULL CONTROL, then expand your horizon, retaining prior knowledge accumulated.
If you challenge too greatly, you may err.
The bird is costly. So keep that asset preserved.
It will bring results, that COUNT, for sure.
2019-6-18
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

1. Figure out how many batteries you think you will need. Buy more!2. Get ND filters. You'll hear a lot about motion blur making videos look better, but it can also hide prop shadows that would otherwise show up as banding across the video. I haven't had a shot ruined by prop shadows since I started using ND filters.
3. Experiment with different types of shots. I have gotten good results hand holding the drone for some shots too.
4. When you use an automatic flight mode, hover over the pause button just in case something isn't going to plan.
5. Always use the Mavic Air case to store the drone even though it fits in the fly more bag. There have been a few people to have issues with propellers getting bent in storage. Also, the Mavic Air fits in the goggles bag while in the storage case it came with.
6. If you are getting used to flying, just use the automatic exposure until you are comfortable flying. Once you are confident, you will want to switch to manual exposure and color balance.
7. Fly safe.
2019-6-18
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just do everything you did with your Spark.  It's what I did with my M2Z and P4PV2.0.  The only real difference is the Performance being better in everything.
2019-6-18
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cutis Posted at 6-18 17:32
Familiarity, key word.
Get to know the bird 1st at close radius with favorable conditions flying.
Graduate into mediocre favorable conditions, still close radius.

All very true
2019-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules