How come calibration always is faster the next time?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

How come the calibration sequence is faster than it was before every next time?
2019-6-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Calibrating what?
2019-6-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I still haven't calibrated anything on my drone that's >2.5 years old.
Why are you calibrating yours so much?
2019-6-13
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What are you referring to?
2019-6-13
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrating the IMU.  When you do it after not doing it for a while or a refresh because of the batteries, it will take a Super long time to go through Step 1.  After you run it again, Step 1 is faster.  Then again after that is even Faster by like 2x.  Then 2x again, then pretty much instant.
2019-6-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Probably because the IMU has heated up..... the reason why it takes a while the first time you calibrate is because the IMU is getting data on this exact thing so it's checking temperature as it's calibrating that's why they say it's always better to have a cold drone when you calibrate ( keep it outside if cold if not stick it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes ) you definitely do not want the IMU to be warm when you calibrate  or hot  you basically  at least want it to be room temperature or colder..... also this way you're not sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for your drone's IMU to initialize and then warm up for flight ....instead most of the time you will just have to wait about a minute or less. When I first got my Phantom 4 Pro back a few years ago It used to take about 4 minutes for the IMU just to warm up well I did an IMU calibration after one update, well actually kind of forced me to do one because It wouldn't let me fly...anyway after having done it this way IMU and GPS
2019-6-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are ready to go and usually about a minute to a minute and a half..... and really DJI you limit our comments to a thousand letters got to love the changes they make to this forum
2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 6-14 02:49
Probably because the IMU has heated up..... the reason why it takes a while the first time you calibrate is because the IMU is getting data on this exact thing so it's checking temperature as it's calibrating that's why they say it's always better to have a cold drone when you calibrate ( keep it outside if cold if not stick it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes ) you definitely do not want the IMU to be warm when you calibrate  or hot  you basically  at least want it to be room temperature or colder..... also this way you're not sitting there for 5 minutes waiting for your drone's IMU to initialize and then warm up for flight ....instead most of the time you will just have to wait about a minute or less. When I first got my Phantom 4 Pro back a few years ago It used to take about 4 minutes for the IMU just to warm up well I did an IMU calibration after one update, well actually kind of forced me to do one because It wouldn't let me fly...anyway after having done it this way IMU and GPS

So running through the IMU calibration after 20 times isn't good as just doing it once?  Also, how come the IMU after a while has high numbers?  Shouldn't it reset back to 0.001 instead of 0.007?  When I let it sit sometimes it says 0.000 after calibration
2019-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-14 02:59
So running through the IMU calibration after 20 times isn't good as just doing it once?  Also, how come the IMU after a while has high numbers?  Shouldn't it reset back to 0.001 instead of 0.007?  When I let it sit sometimes it says 0.000 after calibration

So running through the IMU calibration after 20 times isn't good as just doing it once?
What made you think you even had to do it once?
What made you think you had to do it again and again?
Do you have any idea what you are doing and why?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to understand what you are doing before you start messing with things?

2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-14 04:47
So running through the IMU calibration after 20 times isn't good as just doing it once?
What made you think you even had to do it once?
What made you think you had to do it again and again?

Because I have new batteries and had inconsistent firmware asking me to update while I was in the air.  I did it at home.

I did an IMU calibration after firmware to be safe.
2019-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-14 05:28
Because I have new batteries and had inconsistent firmware asking me to update while I was in the air.  I did it at home.

Why?
What makes you think that will improve safety?  (it won't)

2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-14 05:37
Why?
What makes you think that will improve safety?  (it won't)

It was at 0.006 sitting, now it sits at 0.001 or 0.000.
2019-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules