Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark continues to drop and crash.
123Next >
9264 93 2019-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RJB1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

My Spark has been doing this way too regularly. The last three flights its done it everytime. I've noticed I hear the engines surging and then it drops but still under power. In the flight records there doesnt seem to be any warnings notifcations. I have had a "engine blocked" I think it was called, but I think that was when it crashes under power and the motor cant turn because its stuck in the grass. Today I thought Id test it in just a straight up flight. I took it up and you can hear the engine surge but then it recovers and carries on up. I do a rotation and then it starts to drop. I pushed up on the control, then wondered if pushing down might do something, but it doesnt so I release and it just carries on down and hits the ground.  Im wondering if something is stuck in an engine or an engine is failing? Or could it be a bad prop? They all look OK, but I need to get yet another replacement set and test it again.

Flight record
https://app.airdata.com/flight/8b0ad129c6f0622ee8b1e1238041725a/GENERALNotifications&val=detailed
2019-6-15
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Does it happen when you are not shooting video? What kind of SD card do you have?

I have a theory. But then, one might say you'd know better than to listen to Tentoes.
2019-6-15
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Tentoes Posted at 6-15 04:48
Does it happen when you are not shooting video? What kind of SD card do you have?

I have a theory. But then, one might say you'd know better than to listen to Tentoes.

Oh interesting. I can't say that I've even been flying when the camera wasnt running. Are you thinking the SD card is somehow draining processing power?
2019-6-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble that this has caused. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason for the issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided.  Please note that DJI will not provide a warranty repair for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you for your understanding. Cheers!
2019-6-15
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-15 08:57
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble that this has caused. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason for the issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided.  Please note that DJI will not provide a warranty repair for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you for your understanding. Cheers!

I'll give it a try, but i havent had much luck with DJI replying before.
2019-6-15
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

RJB1 Posted at 6-15 04:50
Oh interesting. I can't say that I've even been flying when the camera wasnt running. Are you thinking the SD card is somehow draining processing power?

Somebody noticed a few weeks ago that their spark quit acting out when they bought a fast SD card.

So I bought the fastest I could find for Phoebe. She quit acting out when I bought a new phone. Now my phone is worth more than my car.
2019-6-15
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Tentoes Posted at 6-15 18:47
Somebody noticed a few weeks ago that their spark quit acting out when they bought a fast SD card.

So I bought the fastest I could find for Phoebe. She quit acting out when I bought a new phone. Now my phone is worth more than my car.

haha yeah phones have become ridiculous, what happened to leaving a message at someones home or office and having them call you back?

I think what is frustrating is sometimes you think you have fixed something that turns out to just be a coincidence.
2019-6-15
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

I changed the props out today and gave it a test flight in a open field. Took off fine but within about 40 seconds it came down again hit the ground bounced and went straight back up again with me full on the stick. Then had the best flight I've had in a long time and just flew around with no problems. Even flew in sport which believe it or not I'd never done before, wow that is exciting! I think I'll fly in this field as much as i can while the weather is good and see how it goes rather than going to risky locations where I'll loose it if it drops again.
2019-6-16
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Wow there is something very odd about DJI support. Ive been online with them and on the phone to them. They want me to send my drone to Melbourne 3000km away to their "service centre" but they refuse to give me the name of anyone working there or a phone number for the place. When I asked for the address the person gave me a garbled address and I said OK so if I go there with a film crew and wait someone will show up from DJI to fix my drone yes?" He said yes, so i said why can't you just tell me who that person is then and give me a phone number! But they refuse, why is this? Why if I'm sending my drone to someone will DJI not allow me to know who I'm sending it to and why can't I speak them before I send it to them? I've seen the reports on here from others that sent their drones to these "service centers" only to be told that their drone is now in pieces and can't be fixed. THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH DJI and in Australia you are likely going to get yourself sued.
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 6-15 18:47

isn't V30 the fastest?  The Samsung EVOs don't cut it.  They don't advertise speed for a reason.  Slow write speed is Bad when you need to shoot Now but you can't.
2019-6-17
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-17 18:52
isn't V30 the fastest?  The Samsung EVOs don't cut it.  They don't advertise speed for a reason.  Slow write speed is Bad when you need to shoot Now but you can't.

Well, I just read an article about speed ratings which did not clear anything up.  Mine says "Class 10," which is anything about 10MB/S, though mine says "up to 100MB/S," so "Class 10" seems to rather understate things.
2019-6-17
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Tentoes Posted at 6-17 21:13
Well, I just read an article about speed ratings which did not clear anything up.  Mine says "Class 10," which is anything about 10MB/S, though mine says "up to 100MB/S," so "Class 10" seems to rather understate things.

V30s are the ones "recommended" and I assume it's to address the slow write speed issue.
2019-6-18
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

Hmm. So it doesn't sound like your SD card is the problem.
2019-6-18
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-18 08:31
V30s are the ones "recommended" and I assume it's to address the slow write speed issue.

recommended for a Spark? That doesn't sound right since the Spark is only shooting in 1080. Here is an article explaining it all for the Spark.

https://www.videoproc.com/vlog/best-sd-card-for-dji-spark.htm
2019-6-18
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Tentoes Posted at 6-18 11:59
Hmm. So it doesn't sound like your SD card is the problem.

yeah, nope I don't think it is. I flew yesterday and although I didn't try flying without the video, I didn't experience at drop at all during the whole flight. In some ways that's more frustrating as i still don't know what is causing it and so presumably it could happen at anytime.
My card is also a speed class 10 which although is bottom of the speed cards its still adiquate for a Spark according to the article I posted above.
2019-6-18
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 6-18 18:33
recommended for a Spark? That doesn't sound right since the Spark is only shooting in 1080. Here is an article explaining it all for the Spark.

https://www.videoproc.com/vlog/best-sd-card-for-dji-spark.htm

I had slow write speed on the Spark and the P4.  The only one that has Never had issues was the M2Z but that has a V30.
2019-6-18
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-18 19:41
I had slow write speed on the Spark and the P4.  The only one that has Never had issues was the M2Z but that has a V30.

But was that slow write speed causing your drone to fall out of the sky?, which is what my issue is.
2019-6-18
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 6-18 20:18
But was that slow write speed causing your drone to fall out of the sky?, which is what my issue is.

None of my drones fell out of the sky.  It just stops recording so you have to restart it.
2019-6-18
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-18 20:22
None of my drones fell out of the sky.  It just stops recording so you have to restart it.

Yep, I'm more worried about finding out why mine keeps dropping from the sky.
2019-6-19
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sudden drops in altitude are typically caused by erratic VPS - though that is when hovering in lower altitude. Faulty props and/or a faulty motor or ECS's are more than likely the cause. Put a fresh set of props on the drone and test it again. If it persists then I would recommend sending the drone into DJI as not fit for safe flight.
2019-6-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 6-19 02:39
Yep, I'm more worried about finding out why mine keeps dropping from the sky.

Calibrate the IMU perfectly.  Every time I calibrate perfectly where the sensors are 0.000 or 0.001 stable it's solid as a rock.
2019-6-19
Use props
Tentoes
Captain
United States

Yea, I'm with AJC-W on this. But then, before I got the S10+ phone, I thought Phoebe was in that same condition.
2019-6-19
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AJC-W Posted at 6-19 02:52
Sudden drops in altitude are typically caused by erratic VPS - though that is when hovering in lower altitude. Faulty props and/or a faulty motor or ECS's are more than likely the cause. Put a fresh set of props on the drone and test it again. If it persists then I would recommend sending the drone into DJI as not fit for safe flight.

Yep I changed the props the other day and flew it and although it did drop from about 10 ft, it hit the ground bounced and then flew up again and never did it again. Flew it the next day and it didn't drop at all. So it's difficult to say if it was the props and i haven't tested it enough yet to say for sure it's not doing it anymore. DJI have been completely useless and un helpful. Basically as soon as you have run out of warranty then you might as well throw it away if you have a problem. their technical service centre is 3000 km away and they refuse to give me a phone number to the place so i can talk to someone there. Im not comfortable sending to them as they aren't going to pay for anything and Ive heard horror stories from people in the same position who then had their drone stripped down by the "service technicians" and then told its broken you need a new one and we can ship your drone back to you in pieces but its now costing you more than the drone cost new. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
2019-6-19
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Had a great flight a couple of days ago, everything worked perfectly and I drained a battery down to about 23% at landing. Switched batteries and took it up again and it went up then dropped then started the hop again. Eventually managed to get it to stop by yawing it into the ground. I wondered if it might be a battery issue, so switched to the drained battery just to try and it again would take off and hop, yaw controlled seemed to work, then it shot up a few feet then refused to come down, then finally came down and again I had to side yaw it to make the blades touch the ground to stop it.

First perfect flight
https://app.airdata.com/flight/1 ... ations&val=detailed

second flight with it dropping and hopping. I do notice the baro altitudes are not accurate to the height reached of the Spark before it dropped to the ground and started hopping. Also the Sonar altitude is way off from the baro altitude. If you look at the first flight data the baro and sonar are much closer matched all the way through.
https://app.airdata.com/flight/a ... ations&val=detailed
here is the raw footage from the second video. It does seem that I managed to climb at least 20 ft before the problems started and it dropped. Looks like I had only started videoing at the point just before it dropped.

2019-6-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You need to send it in!
It is another version of this, I suppose:

I had that with one of my birds, too.
Since the last service, all is good.
Are you starting with the App or with the remote CSC?
2019-6-25
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 6-25 07:01
You need to send it in!
It is another version of this, I suppose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=_9Vo_1nBUQk

Sending it in doesn't seem to be an option as DJI refuses to say who works in their service center 3000km away and that have said since its out of warranty I'll be paying for everything. I've read too many reports of others that have sent them in only to be told, "we've taken it all apart and its broken, you need a new one and do you want to pay to have your parts shipped back" I'm just not comfortable sending it away without even being able to talk to someone in the service center.

Yes it has the Spark Hop issue, but mine this flight at least dropped, then started the hop with no control over height, but yaw and roll left and right seemed to work, which seems to imply something is going wrong with the height sensor. I was hoping someone could look at the data and verify that with sonar and baro being so much out of sync.
2019-6-25
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Just be aware people that DJI doesn't give a ... about you once your product is out of warranty. If you have a problem with it you might as well throw it away.

2019-6-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RJB1 Posted at 6-26 14:37
Just be aware people that DJI doesn't give a ... about you once your product is out of warranty. If you have a problem with it you might as well throw it away.

[view_image]

Sorry for the late response. The repair process will be arranged in the name of DJI and we worked as a group. I'm afraid that a personal name or phone number cannot be offered. Hope for your understanding.

Also, I've checked your post and very sorry for the situation. It is recommended to send the unit in for diagnosis. We'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment.

As for the screenshot you offered, the service plan is not available as there is no DJI Care Refresh plan linked with your SN, sorry for the confusion caused.
2019-6-30
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 6-30 22:47
Sorry for the late response. The repair process will be arranged in the name of DJI and we worked as a group. I'm afraid that a personal name or phone number cannot be offered. Hope for your understanding.

Also, I've checked your post and very sorry for the situation. It is recommended to send the unit in for diagnosis. We'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment.

"I'm afraid that a personal name or phone number cannot be offered。 Hope for your understanding. "

No I don't understand at all. You want me to send my drone to a place 3000km away to nameless people who I've had no contact with, and who I can't contact. You refuse to give me any support because the warranty of a year which is the very bare minimum you can legally give in Australia has expired, regardless of how much flying the drone has done. Wouldn't a more fair system be to warranty to hours flown? Of which I have very few and most have been with issues. You have the ability to monitor how many hours someone has flown through your 4go app.

As I'd said in a previous thread, there are a lots of threads here from people that have sent their drones off to your "service centers" who then were simply told, "your drone is in pieces, you need a new one". With no one to talk to at that service center, that is simply not good enough.

Tell you what, the symptoms my drone has had are all symptoms you have replaced other peoples drones if they were under the 12 month warranty. So go ahead and send me a replacement drone and then I'll send this one to your service center. OK? I hope you understand... trust is a two way street.
2019-7-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RJB1 Posted at 7-1 15:37
"I'm afraid that a personal name or phone number cannot be offered。 Hope for your understanding. "

No I don't understand at all. You want me to send my drone to a place 3000km away to nameless people who I've had no contact with, and who I can't contact. You refuse to give me any support because the warranty of a year which is the very bare minimum you can legally give in Australia has expired, regardless of how much flying the drone has done. Wouldn't a more fair system be to warranty to hours flown? Of which I have very few and most have been with issues. You have the ability to monitor how many hours someone has flown through your 4go app.

According to the current policy, the warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered. If the unit is under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment. If you need further assistance, please kindly send the unit in and provide us with your case number, we'll keep following up, thanks!
2019-7-2
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 6-26 14:37

[view_image]

You have no icon so the drone must have been activated somewhere else therefore 2nd hand.

People have lost way more money with Bitcoin, so if you lost $300-$550, there is nothing we can do but move on.
2019-7-2
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

AntDX316 Posted at 7-2 19:59
You have no icon so the drone must have been activated somewhere else therefore 2nd hand.

People have lost way more money with Bitcoin, so if you lost $300-$550, there is nothing we can do but move on.

Well spotted. This man is either a crook or a psychopath. He opens a new thread every month reporting his "problem" and if you have been following his old threads, you will know that he keeps bashing DJI support but doesn't want to send in his drone. And then suddenly out of the blue he would post another thread with a video claiming that his Spark flew without any problem that day. There is every chance that his Spark is a stolen one and that's why he doesn't want to send it to DJI for fear of getting caught. So this guy is either pretending to be very smart or may be he is just a jobless nincompoop who has nothing better to do. Just ignore him mate.
2019-7-2
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 7-2 22:53
Well spotted. This man is either a crook or a psychopath. He opens a new thread every month reporting his "problem" and if you have been following his old threads, you will know that he keeps bashing DJI support but doesn't want to send in his drone. And then suddenly out of the blue he would post another thread with a video claiming that his Spark flew without any problem that day. There is every chance that his Spark is a stolen one and that's why he doesn't want to send it to DJI for fear of getting caught. So this guy is either pretending to be very smart or may be he is just a jobless nincompoop who has nothing better to do. Just ignore him mate.

Wow, you are an utter and complete moron, as has been shown before when YOU created another user account specifically to abuse me because you had got caught out in your lies. yet again you have jumped in on something with abuse and lies.
2019-7-3
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-2 19:59

People have lost way more money with Bitcoin, so if you lost $300-$550, there is nothing we can do but move on.

Correct, I bought it just about a year old back in December. He sold it because he also had a phantom and found he never had time to fly the Spark. I have had flights where everything worked, then other times the hop or drop happens. So I have never been able to fly it with confidence that something wasn't about to happen. Either way if the warranty was based on flight time his limited flights plus my total to date of 1hr 2 minutes seems a bit unfair that I have absolutely no support from DJI.

I'm not sure what the F@%^ you are going on about Bitcoin for, are you suggesting everyone that buys a DJI product is taking as big a gamble as buying Bitcoin?
2019-7-3
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-2 18:35
According to the current policy, the warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered. If the unit is under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment. If you need further assistance, please kindly send the unit in and provide us with your case number, we'll keep following up, thanks!

And again, you don't think a fairer warranty would be to do it by hours flown? And again, you are asking me to send in my drone to someone, or some company 3000km away where I'm refused to be told who is working on it, and refused to be allowed any contact with them. Why so much secrecy with your service centre?

If I was putting my car in for service it would be ludicrous for the dealership to tell me, "ok, leave it at the corner of such and such street. We're not going to give you our phone number and we wont tell you who is working on it or what they are going to do, when we've finished you pay any amount we demand or you don't get your car back." That is the service you are offering.
2019-7-3
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 7-3 01:19
Correct, I bought it just about a year old back in December. He sold it because he also had a phantom and found he never had time to fly the Spark. I have had flights where everything worked, then other times the hop or drop happens. So I have never been able to fly it with confidence that something wasn't about to happen. Either way if the warranty was based on flight time his limited flights plus my total to date of 1hr 2 minutes seems a bit unfair that I have absolutely no support from DJI.

I'm not sure what the F@%^ you are going on about Bitcoin for, are you suggesting everyone that buys a DJI product is taking as big a gamble as buying Bitcoin?

Just eat the $500 and buy a Mavic 2 or something.  It's worth it if spending the money for it doesn't make you homeless.  I mean, it's not really worth it.  It was worth it when I was making money but now people don't really hire any more (probably because people bought the drones and taking the jobs away which means you can't pay your drone off).

If you are going to spend more than 50% or more trying to get the Spark repaired (which may not even fix the problem entirely) upgrade or find another hobby.

I still want to use the drones for training (which was the original intent) but I never really got around to do it in full-bloom yet.
2019-7-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

RJB1 Posted at 7-3 01:26
And again, you don't think a fairer warranty would be to do it by hours flown? And again, you are asking me to send in my drone to someone, or some company 3000km away where I'm refused to be told who is working on it, and refused to be allowed any contact with them. Why so much secrecy with your service centre?

If I was putting my car in for service it would be ludicrous for the dealership to tell me, "ok, leave it at the corner of such and such street. We're not going to give you our phone number and we wont tell you who is working on it or what they are going to do, when we've finished you pay any amount we demand or you don't get your car back." That is the service you are offering.

For the phone number for AU official service center, it has been listed in DJI website, you can reach us via +61 1300 090 802.
And the designated team already sent the shipping address to you in the email under ticket#2178667, you may check later. Here is the link for your reference: https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
Also, the repair progress can be tracked in DJI official website: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace If you do not want to repair, please kindly advise, we'll return the unit without repair.

Alternatively, you may contact the local dealer to help to send the unit in for service, thanks!

AU Service Center.png
2019-7-3
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-3 01:39
For the phone number for AU official service center, it has been listed in DJI website, you can reach us via +61 1300 090 802.
And the designated team already sent the shipping address to you in the email under ticket#2178667, you may check later. Here is the link for your reference: https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
Also, the repair progress can be tracked in DJI official website: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace If you do not want to repair, please kindly advise, we'll return the unit without repair.

That's the number that goes to someone in China, or some call center, that last time I spoke to them they could hardly speak English and all he kept saying was the same thing over and over, "we can not give you name or number of people in your local service center"
2019-7-3
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-3 01:39
Just eat the $500 and buy a Mavic 2 or something.  It's worth it if spending the money for it doesn't make you homeless.  I mean, it's not really worth it.  It was worth it when I was making money but now people don't really hire any more (probably because people bought the drones and taking the jobs away which means you can't pay your drone off).

If you are going to spend more than 50% or more trying to get the Spark repaired (which may not even fix the problem entirely) upgrade or find another hobby.

Everything costs way more in Australia. A spark is about $700 bucks now and to upgrade to a Mavic is over $2000. But yes I still agree, that there are way too many people with problems with the Spark for it to be worth taking the risk with DJI service center which also gets reports of nameless people taking them apart and then telling the customer "its broken you need a new drone" and then being charged for having it taken apart to tell you nothing, and still having to shell out yet again for another Spark which has as much chance of being bad as the first one.

Did you get your part 107 licence? Seems like you went from total novice 6 months ago with a Spark to flying drones for paying customers and night flights.
2019-7-3
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-3 01:39

Why haven't you banned this person? I've reported him three times for abuse and for making fake accounts. Or do you now condone calling people "crook or a psychopath"
2019-7-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules