camera on top of drone
2055 5 2019-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GreatCanadian
New

Canada

I am doing a mixed media presentation for a very old and historic church http://www.museeeglisesaintemariemuseum.ca/en/ I am doing a still with a DSLR at night and plan to equip the drone with high intensity lights to illuminate the church (multiple shots). The second is a video of the exterior of the church with a final shot descending to just above the roof, then ing inside to shoot the drone descending from the ceiling to the floor (I wil use a transition effect in post to appear as the drone is flying through the roof). This will change to the DSLR  and panoramic camera for interior pics. So far pretty straight forward, now comes the tricky part. While I was discussing the shoot with the manager, he asked if I could do a video of one of the church's main "attractions". One of the paintings on the ceiling (the Sacred Heart) when viewed from the alter is normal, but when viewed from the back of the church, it appears to be a motorcycleist. Anyone know if I can mount a camera (eg a GoPro) on top of my Phantom 4 Pro?
2019-6-16
Use props
Lonesome Crow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Two things come to mind on this.  First, you are changing the natural flight characteristics of the drone by adding weight to it.  Secondly, a GoPro on the top would need testing for prop clearance.  If the props are not in the prop rotation field, during your filming using the GoPro, your props might be in the video.  I am sure there are some others in here that might have some other suggestions.
2019-6-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sorry that we don't recommend using third-party accessories or any modification to the drone. This process may affect the performance of your drone and lead to an incident that would possibly void the warranty of your unit. However, it would still depend on your preferences and discretion. Thank you for understanding.
2019-6-17
Use props
djiuser_TzESloLZaDiI
New

Vietnam

This is very interesting information. Thank you for sharing. For sure your suggestions will help me with

2019-6-17
Use props
MalikDixon55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1387402 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Everyone. I would like to add my 2 cents in the conversation. Adding equipment to the drone is never a good idea. When modifying the equipment, you have be mindful of the additional weight and balance issues to the drone. If DJI did not make any modifications, you should not consider it. Be safe.
2019-6-24
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

MalikDixon55 Posted at 6-24 20:50
Hi Everyone. I would like to add my 2 cents in the conversation. Adding equipment to the drone is never a good idea. When modifying the equipment, you have be mindful of the additional weight and balance issues to the drone. If DJI did not make any modifications, you should not consider it. Be safe.

Ditto on MalikDixon55 comments.  DJI drones are well designed, taking into account things most of us don't even think about.  Add on devices more than a few ounces is bound to upset the weight balance, how power to the motors is distributed, not to mention shortening battery life/flight time.  I would think a top mounted camera would make a Phantom very top heavy, possibly causing it to flip over in flight. That would be the end of the Phantom and the camera.  A regular DSLR with video or a video camera on a tripod would be far better suited for your ceiling shots.  Good luck with your project.
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules