Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action Car Stability Test .
3082 13 2019-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Osmo Action Car Stability Test,  rig used, old car rig for orignal Osmo, I had intended to to test it on side door, but unfortunately rain came in pretty heavy , will do some more in the future.

Although video is 4.30 long, I wanted to test on all road surfaces on one continuous drive.
Some roads very narrow bumpy some windy roads and through the village taking in speed ramps.
Speeds travelled 20kph to 110 kph, I was moving as fast as I could trying to keep within speed limits (to no avail) I didn’t try to avoid any bad parts of the road, I travelled over 3 speed ramps as fast as I could, I drove approximately 9 minutes, I leveled Osmo Action before taking off, and checked when finished, the movement was negligible and Osmo Action returned pretty level.

I was surprised at how well the OA preformed,  up and down movements where minimal mostly confined to when I travelled over the speed ramps , no breaks in video recorded, there were some breaks in WiFi video feed from phone to OA, but not a problem.
I drove a diesel car which has some vibration, you would notice this if you leaned on the bonnet (hood) but it never showed in the video.

At high speed on rough roads RS seemed unflappable and I know I could have taken this a lot further without much problems.

I tried similar testing with Osmo Pocket but couldn’t get past 40kph without gimbal failure.
So thinking Osmo Pocket better kept inside car.

The video was done to test how Osmo Action preformed on a rig outside of a vehicle, it was not about video quality.
However I shot in 4K 24fps reduced to 1080p 24fps for you tube, onl6 editing was to cut video and add music , all video was shot on one continuous run .

All speed is as it was taken , I used ND 16 could have done with ND 32 as I had to up shutter to get correct exposure.

Apart from breaking and travelling fast over ramps I saw very little harsh movements, I could be picky and go through every frame , but I won’t for me I certainly was impressed and would find no problems using the footage , so well done OA .

2019-6-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day hallmark007. Thank you for sharing you experience in creating this video and for sharing this wonderful test video that you have created using the DJI Osmo Action. Wonderful work and thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-16
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - that is very stable - good work!
2019-6-16
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Video UNavailable!
2019-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ff22 Posted at 6-16 14:14
Video UNavailable!

Are you sure, I’ve just checked and all seems to be ok .
2019-6-16
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-16 14:28
Are you sure, I’ve just checked and all seems to be ok .

Odd.  It shows the PLAY screen but when I hit the play, it shows unavailable

2019-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ff22 Posted at 6-16 18:18
Odd.  It shows the PLAY screen but when I hit the play, it shows unavailable

[view_image]

Not sure what you’ve picked up there .
2019-6-17
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 06:17
Not sure what you’ve picked up there .

Not sure - other embedded videos seem to work.  But I managed to view it - right clicked on your video and copied the link and opened it on youtube.

Impressive.  
2019-6-17
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

Had to turn off that music.... ;)

I played this at 1080p and to be honest the quality in the image is not there and its very dark in parts and very bright in others.

The bit where you driving back down through Enniscrone with the car in front of you.... you can't read the reg number even when you overtaking it. I have a 1080p dash cam that is 5 years old that has better quality if im honest and makes reg numbers clear as crystal.

Stability wise its impressive even going over those speed bumps, which i know are big.

Thanks for sharing hallmark007,  i am glad i didn't pruchase this camera. Can you share the link to the osmo pocket video review you done please.
2019-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FuZZyPiLOT Posted at 6-21 04:15
Had to turn off that music.... ;)

I played this at 1080p and to be honest the quality in the image is not there and its very dark in parts and very bright in others.

Music personal choice.
Focus on the license plate I think combination of auto focus and how YT dilutes even 1080p on a 1080p screen direct from card licence plate is perfectly visible.
Reason for dark bright is simple and is just iso was set at 100 in this situation going from dark to bright auto iso would have coped better.

Wasn’t really trying to show cameras film quality, just how the Rock Steady works, the footage when normally videoing is exceptional particularly in 50fps and slow motion.
Don’t judge the cameras ability to produce great footage by this video , it is a true action camera but I think it would also make a great camera for family shooting etc .

I’ll post review for Pocket soon .
2019-6-22
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very nice test, thanks for sharing!
2019-6-26
Use props
hallmark007