Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My prop guard design
12Next >
3501 43 2015-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've finally finished designing and printing some prop guards. I've taken a slightly different approach to others. I've opted for 4mm carbon fibre struts rather than printing a guard in one piece. I think the extra weight of the Inspire will be a challenge for plastic struts. This also means I can make the main support (around the ESC hub) a little lighter. The bands are a 3 piece print as I couldn't print in one piece due to its size. However, it does seem to be a little stronger being a multi part design.

IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg
2015-6-8
Use props
busclas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Those are really nice looking, have you tested them yet?  How do they mount?  It almost looks like a wrap around piece.
2015-6-8
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Busclas,

The main mount slide up over the ESC hub and wraps around the whole block (with a cut out for the light on the front). Its secured in place by a slide on in the top. Its fits extremely neatly around this block (took a very long time to get this to fit well, as there are a lot of rad'ed corners).

I would recommend 4mm rods rather than hollow tubes, as its will give greater strength on lateral loads.

Testing to be completed in the next week
2015-6-8
Use props
peter.psilver
lvl.4

United Kingdom

They look good.
2015-6-8
Use props
leoamartinez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Very nice design !!!
2015-6-8
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Once I've finished tinkering with the top slide to make it work better, I'll upload the STL files for anyone who wants to print them off.
2015-6-8
Use props
houston
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

How about a little video showing up how you put them on.
2015-6-9
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.4

United States

post a vid of them in action
2015-6-9
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Chaps,

They really are easy to put on. They slide up underneath the bulkhead of the ESC/Motor and us use the top slider plate to keep it in place.
Will post a video on putting them on and with them on flying later. Meanwhile, as promised, here is a link to the STL files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dofxa9 ... ePropGuard.zip?dl=0

You will need to purchase 4 x 1m lengths of 4mm carbon fibre rods. This needs to be cut down into 8 x 17cm lengths for the side rods and 8 x 17.5cm lengths for the rods at the front.

Printing:
I used PLA to print these, but you can use the material of your choice. I printed everything on a raft on an Ultimaker as some parts are quite thin. It didn't need any further support. Though if you do use another type of material, you may need to do so. I printed the large bands with a 20% fill, as this seemed to provide a little more flex. All other parts were printed with 100% fill.

For a full set of guards you will need to print:

4 x PropGuardBase.stl
4 x CentreBand.stl
4 x TopPlate.stl
16 x SupportLeg
8 x FullBand

Disclaimer
Please feel free to modify or print in original form. My only request is that you don't sell for profit. It was my intention as a gift to the community. Of course I also won't be responsible for any failures

Enjoy

2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here is a schematic.

propguard.jpg
2015-6-11
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

Looks really very interesting. Well done.

How easy/quick is it to put them on?
2015-6-11
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.3

United States

Very impressive. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
2015-6-11
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
Flight distance : 11473780 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These really do look the part,, can't wait to see the video.
Thanks for sharing, will you be making any for sale ?

Regards
Mike.
2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

nebelung Posted at 2015-6-12 00:50
Looks really very interesting. Well done.

How easy/quick is it to put them on?

Very easy, just slide the main section up from under the motor bulk head and slide the top plate on to lock and away you go. Did some test flights today. The joy of only having the 4mm rods is that there is almost no prop wash interference.
2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-6-12 03:29
These really do look the part,, can't wait to see the video.
Thanks for sharing, will you be making  ...

Mike,

Just download the parts from the link and get them printed from a print shop. They will only cost you the price of the printing costs plus the 4mm carbon rods you need to get to go with it.

Enjoy

Peter
2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here is an image with all four guards on.

IMG_0275.jpg

I just need to upload the video
2015-6-11
Use props
whill11
lvl.1

United States

Nice job.  I wonder how it will effect the aerodynamics.  
2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

whill11 Posted at 2015-6-12 05:38
Nice job.  I wonder how it will effect the aerodynamics.

None at all. My aim was to reduce any impact from prop wash on the guard. This was one of the the reasons I used 4mm carbon rods rather than having to print larger arms to support the guards. Carbon also provides much more strength. These are very strong. I will post a video showing  the first test flight. But I can assure you, there is not impact on the flight characteristics.
Each guard only weighs 60g
2015-6-11
Use props
pidetectives
First Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope that inspire can hold the weight
2015-6-11
Use props
whill11
lvl.1

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-12 05:45
None at all. My aim was to reduce any impact from prop wash on the guard. This was one of the the r ...

Look forward to seeing the video.  
2015-6-11
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Fantastic. How heavy are these?
2015-6-11
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Below is a video of the flight test. I still need to upload the one where it shows putting the guards on. The Inspire is being flown vigorously on purpose. We were looking to see if there was any flex (which there wasn't) and we also wanted to make sure they were holding tight to the bulkheads.
http://youtu.be/0Yt4ZB90qDI
2015-6-12
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-12 07:19
I hope that inspire can hold the weight

They are very light compared to a fully printed guard. The carbon fibre adds strength and reduces they overall weight.
2015-6-12
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-12 05:26
Mike,

Just download the parts from the link and get them printed from a print shop. They will onl ...

Thanks Peter,

I'll go that way.

Regards
Mike.
2015-6-12
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-6-12 19:59
Thanks Peter,

I'll go that way.

Hi Mike,

Just make sure you order the correct quantities of each part as per the post earlier up

Regards

Peter
2015-6-12
Use props
whill11
lvl.1

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-12 17:59
Below is a video of the flight test. I still need to upload the one where it shows putting the guard ...

Beautiful.  Thanks for posting it so quickly.  
2015-6-12
Use props
Grimtheviking
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-12 20:10
Hi Mike,

Just make sure you order the correct quantities of each part as per the post earlier up

Thanks for info Peter, will do.
I am just looking for a 3D printer company to use.
Watched your test flight video, solid as a rock,,
Regards
Mike.
2015-6-12
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4
United States

Like I said before, it looks great and I like the idea of using the carbon rods.

But looking at the images and the video (thanks for posting), it looks to me like the midsection (on the left and right side) are still exposed and that there is redundant coverage on the "inside" of the nose and tail areas. I hope this makes sense…let me know if it doesn't.

Do you think it would be possible to angle the slots that hold the rods slightly (maybe by 25 degrees or so) to achieve a better coverage in the mid section of the craft by effectively rotating the bands?
2015-6-14
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

nebelung Posted at 2015-6-15 02:51
Like I said before, it looks great and I like the idea of using the carbon rods.

But looking at th ...

You are more than welcome to make your own modifications, that why I posted up the files. I'm sure they can be improved upon. Please feel free. Post them up when you are finished. Help others, contribute, thats what it all about.
2015-6-14
Use props
cziakas
lvl.4

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-12 05:45
None at all. My aim was to reduce any impact from prop wash on the guard. This was one of the the r ...

If my conversion is correct that 60g (x4) is a little over 1/2 pound of extra weight.  How much time do you lose of each flight with that much weight?
2015-6-14
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

cziakas@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-15 07:43
If my conversion is correct that 60g (x4) is a little over 1/2 pound of extra weight.  How much ti ...

No idea, haven't tested the duration. But I think duration a secondary to safety when flying indoors or near people. You could make it lighter with carbon tubes rather than solid rods, but you'd loose strength.
2015-6-14
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

nebelung Posted at 2015-6-15 02:51

But looking at th ...

Just a thought, the support legs and bands are interconnecting, the band protrude into the 8mm wide support leg by 4mm. In theory, you could run straight band from then end of one guard to the other covering this vulnerability without having to change the design. Just a thought
2015-6-14
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Kalle Posted at 2015-6-15 15:48
Nice job lethbrp, now you can start a new business

Is it possible to sell this prop guards to ot ...

Hi Kalle,

I decided not to sell them, just give the design to the community. That way people can either just get them printed off locally, or modify them as they see fit. In the post above, you can find the STL files for the guards and just get them printed off. There are quite a few print shops around. Just email them the files and tell them the quantities of each part you need.

Regards

Peter
2015-6-15
Use props
nebelung
lvl.4
United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-15 15:28
Just a thought, the support legs and bands are interconnecting, the band protrude into the 8mm wid ...

Interesting thought. Sounds like I'll have to get some printed to check them out and see what the best solution might be.
2015-6-15
Use props
Davide
Flight distance : 464757 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

This is great, thanks.
I have found a local company that will print these for me but they use PLA filament, I believe ABS filament is stronger but haven't a clue as to how this is measured.
Would you happen to know if PLA filament would be suitable for this?

Regards

David
2015-7-14
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Davide Posted at 2015-7-15 05:45
Hi Peter,

This is great, thanks.

Hi David,

I used PLA on mine. Its fine. The bands are printed length ways, so are quite strong. The strength of an impact is taken by the carbon rods which are very strong. The casing around that holds it altogether is only 1mm thick. But it doesn't need to be thick because its only acting as a skin for the main Inspire ESC housing, so its the housing taking all the load. I did print one band in ABS, but found it to be more brittle than the PLA oddly enough.

Regards

Peter
2015-7-16
Use props
Davide
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-7-16 20:49
Hi David,

I used PLA on mine. Its fine. The bands are printed length ways, so are quite strong. T ...

Hi Peter,
Having a bit of a nightmare finding a printer that'll print your files at a reasonable price, have had two quotes, one of £500 and one of £300, do you know of any reasonably priced printing company's, I'll pay for postage. I'll have to buy a 3d printer at this rate :-)
2015-7-28
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Davide Posted at 2015-7-29 06:55
Hi Peter,
Having a bit of a nightmare finding a printer that'll print your files at a reasonable p ...

Hi David,

Can you send me an email at peterlethbridge@btinternet.com

Regards

Peter
2015-7-28
Use props
Davide
United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-7-29 15:15
Hi David,

Can you send me an email at

Hi Peter,
Sent, thanks

David
2015-7-29
Use props
MechEng

United States

Thank you for developing and sharing your prop guard design.  
I have used a differrent prop guard design that was fully printed.
I have a suggestion that might save some weight.  The guards in your very first picture show the prop guards protecting about 180 degrees on the front of the prop circle.  You only need to about 90 degree on each corner to protect the entire copter.
2015-8-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules