What's gonna happen when the battery reaches the end of its life ...
6428 27 2019-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans04db85d7
lvl.1
United States

Hi DJI and other osmo pocket users,
I have a question bothering me. What's gonna happen when the battery in osmo pocket reaches the end of its life span? Most likely by the time that happens, the warranty on the osmo pocket would have expired. We know osmo pockets' batteries are biult in the device. If DJI is aware of the issue, do you have any program for the pocket users? What sort of cost are the pocket users expecting in the event of the battery needing replaced? DJI online customer serivce cannot provide any answer to my question. I'm psoting this up in the forum.

Cheers!

2019-6-19
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

great question, I would like to know the answer as well
2019-6-19
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

third party replacement is required.
2019-6-19
Use props
Buzby
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The same reason I opted for  Osmo Mobile instead of the OM2.  I have been stung by the need to replace batteries in products that have ‘no user serviceable’ parts.  The battery is probably the biggest source of failure as it declines during its lifespan and knowing it will happen after the warranty expires is a big problem.  
2019-6-20
Use props
fans1f690efe
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Recycle like you do with your phone
2019-6-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I saw on YouTube a video showing a Pocket whose battery had been disconnected and reconnected - and it was dead as a result.  It may not be a trivial matter for anyone other than DJI.  But I think this has been discussed a number of times before.
2019-6-20
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

by then, I guess ,there will be Osmo Pocket #2 or 3 would be already in the market and neither of us may no longer worry about the dead   battery of outdated Osmo Pocket but upgrade to new model like we do for mobile phones.
2019-6-20
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

Imaging technology does not progress as fast as the mobile phones. My 4k mirrorless camera bought over 3 years ago still produces video on par with current models and I see no need to spend thousands of bucks to get a slightly faster autofocus. Upgrading needs remain a choice, not something forced down your throat. It's wrong on so many levels. If the battery in my OP dies before I organically want to upgrade, I will surely not buy OP2 if it still has a fixed battery.
2019-6-20
Use props
TheBigEddy
lvl.2

Netherlands

Just use it wired with a powerbank
2019-6-20
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

You don't know if it will work with a powerbank if the battery dies completely, some devices wouldn't. Besides, if I have to keep it connected to a powerbank I may as well just use an APSC camera on a gimbal. I love OP because it's so small and I don't want the hassle of cables and powerbanks.
2019-6-20
Use props
fans04db85d7
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys, thank you for the comments. I have also posted this post in OP official group on facebook. It seems like this post has got a lot of criticism, as many DJI lovers think the post is pointless and we should not worry about the battery, even if the battery dies, we can simply get rid off it and buy a new one. As a customer who's paid for the product with his own hard yakka earning, I would like to address economical concerns and environmental concerns to DJI, when you design and launch a new product, your customers value the customer care and your policies on minimising waste and its impacts on the environment.
2019-6-20
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

By the time the battery is completely dead, I'm sure I would have bought a newer camera. I don't worry about these things with my phone which I use 24/7, I'm sure as hell not worrying about it with a device I don't use as much (not even close to). It's just what you get when a device is this compact. If this is an impactful issue for you, then why buy it? This fact that it didn't have a replaceable battery wasn't exactly withheld.

2019-6-20
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

Mobile phones are a somewhat different story though. They are going to lose a of their functionality over the time, because its tied to using external data sources. The OS updates won't come, apps won't update, existing app version won't connect to servers anymore. Sure, you will still be able to make calls, use some apps and even the browser, but its functionality will keep decreasing. so yes, a vast majority of users will want to move to newer products. OP will still produce adequate results three years from now, there will be no 8k prevalence, no magic sensors etc just incremental improvements. I'm fine that some folks are okay to be forced to upgrade in 2-3 years, but I don't understand why it bothers them so much that others would like to see an option to extend the life of the product.
And I bought OP, because it's a great camera that has no competition in its own category. That doesn't mean I can't complain, does it?
2019-6-20
Use props
fans04db85d7
lvl.1
China

I agree with Monio. Seems like there are many people in the group upset with my question. If they actually read my post properly, I was just simply asking if DJI has customer service for the battery and the cost. What makes some people so upset? I dont get it. We are the customers who have paid for the product. Do we not have the right to raise questions about the manufacturer's customer service and product?
2019-6-20
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time for OP2
2019-6-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have a Canon Powershot N which I must have bought 4 years ago - it does have replaceable batteries, and early on I bought extras, but actually have never used them.  The original is still going strong and seems to need only very occasional charging (admittedly with light use).  Point being, it may be a long time before this becomes an issue, and when it does, I'd be surprised if DJI haven't worked out a process to replace the battery by then.

Yup, I'm an optimist...
2019-6-20
Use props
saitron
lvl.3
Mexico

Maybe we should be worried for things that will happen at 2044... relax!
2019-6-21
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

akozc Posted at 6-20 07:20
by then, I guess ,there will be Osmo Pocket #2 or 3 would be already in the market and neither of us may no longer worry about the dead   battery of outdated Osmo Pocket but upgrade to new model like we do for mobile phones.

This should only be a desired option and not a fix to a potential issue.  Running out to buy the latest and greatest to circumvent a fixable issue, doesn't hold companies accountable for standing behind their product and honoring their customers that provide revenue for them.
2019-6-21
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

I believe we will need this...

8C8B4865-E744-4B6A-A0AF-486F6318603B.jpeg
2019-6-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thank for the inquiry. The Osmo Pocket's battery life span would depend on how you will take care of your unit while using it. However, the warranty for the battery would last for 6 months and in any case that the battery of your Osmo Pocket is no longer part of the warranty period, the repair fee will be applied upon replacing it. You may check the possible prices for components of the Osmo Pocket using this link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry. Please see the link below for your references.

2019-6-24
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

189+9+shipping? USD? Bargain...
2019-6-24
Use props
Matt_
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Agree with all the posts here - I was also worried about the long term battery life, especially when it comes to using the device for timelapses.. or anyone that perhaps uses it every day.

189+ (£ or $) for a new battery just completely kills my desire to use it for timelapses since I was hoping to use this device for the long term. It just becomes such a waste too where it's effectively going in the bin once the battery gives in.

Any idea if you use an external battery pack - does it bypass the internal? Or is it continuously recharging the internal battery/reducing lifespan?
2019-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Matt_ Posted at 6-24 17:24
Agree with all the posts here - I was also worried about the long term battery life, especially when it comes to using the device for timelapses.. or anyone that perhaps uses it every day.

189+ (£ or $) for a new battery just completely kills my desire to use it for timelapses since I was hoping to use this device for the long term. It just becomes such a waste too where it's effectively going in the bin once the battery gives in.

Continuously recharging.  This was mentioned in another post some time back, along with how to keep the battery in good condition during storage and use. Basically, the same rules as for a laptop.
2019-6-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

For me Osmo Pocket EUR says 35 euros. In here https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
OP Battery.PNG
2019-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Aavalaakso Posted at 6-24 23:35
For me Osmo Pocket EUR says 35 euros. In here https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry

Neither says which currency so assumed local currency.  In which case both seem reasonable.
2019-6-24
Use props
Matt_
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-24 23:42
Neither says which currency so assumed local currency.  In which case both seem reasonable.

Just checked it and yeah - it's popping up for 35 euros for me which is great. The price quoted earlier was in CNY by the looks of it, which is 189.

In which case, that's great news and makes the battery much less of an issue.
2019-6-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

$31 US it seems to be on their price list.  And free labour??!!  https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2019-6-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-25 02:43
$31 US it seems to be on their price list.  And free labour??!!  https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry

$31 is totally reasonable.  If it can be shaved down to $21, I would probably shoot everyday with my Osmo Pocket.
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules