Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Circular Polarizer / PL Filters Useless on M2?
1071 6 2019-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TsynNInYh8ji
lvl.1

United States

I have been researching use of CPL / PL Filters on this forum & others, and have now learned that they have to be adjusted based on shooting conditions.

So with the exception of any filters that have rotatable bezels for constant adjustment, I don't see how the ones that screw / snap on to the M2 cameras are in any way realistically useable?

The typical snap ons for the M2 Pro have no adjustment, and the screw ons for the M2 Zoom cannot be realistically adjusted by loosening / tightening, because if you don't screw them all the way on, they stay loose and move around in flight.

Are all these CPL / PL filter a waste of time & money?

Any opinions appreciated!

2019-6-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation and information from our valued DJI co pilots who uses the CPL / PL Filters on there DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and on there DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

CPL are about as useless as nipples on a Batman suit. ND filters yes are a must for all daytime flying .
2019-6-21
Use props
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

Hello,

IMHO are Polfilters of any kind hardly useful for drones.

I use polfilters for foto and video, but not very often (far less then 5%). They are userfule only on some light conditions. They are really userful only in static situations, best when the cam is on a tripod. You must adjust them by turning when looking through the viewfinder. So far, so good.

With drone you have some problem. You can adjust the filter, when the drone is on the ground. But you would need to adjust it in flight for each new  sight. Hardly to  be done.
ND filters are userful for drones, polfilters not.

DJI only offers ND... any question?  

2019-6-21
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DrohneSG Posted at 6-21 09:56
Hello,

You can use the adjustable ones like Polar pros, but sparingly. Of course they are a bit of work but are helpful when wanting to look into water or defining clouds for example, but you need to be prepared to put the work in to get pro shots. Do a test on the ground and turn the aircraft to the direction you will be facing for the shot, then set polariser. Take shot, come down, repeat.
2019-6-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

CPL is about the only filter i ever use on my drone.  By far the most useful, especially if you do photos.

Firstly, most of the ones ive seen have a rotating circular central part which allows you to correctly set up the polarisation level.
The way i do this is prior to flying i already know roughly the angle and sort of images i want so i look through and adjust the polarisation before fitting the filter to the drone.  I find this more accurate than trying to guess the effect on screen.
Then i launch, get the images from the angles i wanted and thats it.
If you shoot around water and other surfaces with glare its a massive help.

Now the limitations, this is really only useful for stills and for when you already have a rough idea of angles of the shots you want (as it requires preflight setup).  Its a lot less useful for video where youre turning around a lot more.
Also for stills it needs to be removed before doing scenes with wide fields of view such as panos or 360s or you'll get light/dark sky patches as the effect varies with angle from the sun.

So in my case CPL is the filter i use all the time but (i) i do very little video and (ii) know what images i want before launching the drone.  In the right conditions with the right planning they can make a huge difference to the quality of images obtained.  Unless im flying at dusk the CPL stays on my drone all the time and is adjusted prior to every flight (or multiple times per battery if needed).
2019-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DrohneSG Posted at 6-21 09:56
Hello,

Filters particularly CPL are incredibly fiddle to work with on drones, for every one good picture I see using CPL, I see twenty with absolutely no effect, I have yet to see any picture posted here where water reflection was a help or a hinderence to any photography taken with drone and CPL. but I have seen great work in post of photos taken no filter and processed from raw.
ND filters are a must for filiming for drones CPL’s are a complete waste of time and money with such small sensors, yes for photography with bigger sensors with bigger interchangeable lenses used with Inspire2.

Maybe somebody who uses them will post a with and without CPL showing this miraculous change in the photo as a result of using CPL .
I have seen some stuff on YT but for the amount of time spent and the total inaccuracy of the photos fro using was nothing short of crap .
2019-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules