2019-6-22
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22936 ft
Australia

Suren Posted at 6-22 22:18
Thankfully no major damages and you still in the Air

Suren, I’ve had crashes before, all minor.  This one was the worse.  Just needs a new landing leg ($30 or so on Amazon.). It’s being repaired on Tuesday.  Lesson learned - don’t be too cocky, don’t push boundaries too far.
2019-6-23
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

Suren Posted at 6-22 22:18
Thankfully no major damages and you still in the Air

Suren, I’ve had crashes before, all minor.  This one was the worse.  Just needs a new landing leg ($30 or so on Amazon.). It’s being repaired on Tuesday.  Lesson learned - don’t be too cocky, don’t push boundaries too far.
2019-6-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch. I agree with you know your limits. At least your still flying.
2019-6-23
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

First off, thanks for posting this.  I really appreciate you dissecting the crash and owning up to mistakes rather than somehow blaming DJI.  You're kind of a unicorn, actually admitting that it was your fault.

For the kind of shot you are doing, one thing that *might* be something to try is doing the shot in reverse and then reversing it in your video editor.  It doesn't always work well because anything that already has motion (like tree movements) can look very unnatural when reversed if the wind is moderate.  I've done a few real estate shots that use your move (in reverse and then flipped) and those look really nice, but again, it's very urban and there's not much in the way of natural movement.
2019-6-23
Use props
winkiel82
First Officer
Flight distance : 4059806 ft
Poland

It's always sad to crash the drone.
2019-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Si_Co. I am sorry to watch what happened you your DJI Mavic Air and thank you for sharing this video with us on what happened with your previous flight. If in the future you feel that the said drone is not working properly. Please try to contact our support team for us to be able to help you further at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to help you and corresponding resolution would be provided. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-23
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-23 10:58
Hello and good day Si_Co. I am sorry to watch what happened you your DJI Mavic Air and thank you for sharing this video with us on what happened with your previous flight. If in the future you feel that the said drone is not working properly. Please try to contact our support team for us to be able to help you further at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to help you and corresponding resolution would be provided. Have a safe and happy flying always.

Thanks DJI Stephen.
2019-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is hard to watch
2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Si_Co Posted at 6-23 12:17
Thanks DJI Stephen.

You are very much welcome Si_Co and thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-24
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 6-24 06:29
That is hard to watch

Yeah Montfrooij, we were on a short holiday at the time and, even though the drone was still working properly, and I was able to keep using it, I couldn’t help but reflect and re-think the episode, with that crappy feeling you get in the pit of your stomach.  I’m over it now though I’ve  moved on.
2019-6-24
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

What are the odds you'd hit that chimney. The chimney was likely jealous because it can't fly and slapped your drone. I've had the same trouble in tight locations, and like you, I try to learn from my crashes. After several similar crashes, I decided to order some prop guards. I don't fly with the guards on often, but I pop them on If I'm nervous around obstacles. They won't help much in a high speed crash, but they help you breath easier when shooting in tight spots
2019-6-24
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

A lesson for us all. Glad it was nothing major
2019-6-24
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

TrevorSK Posted at 6-24 14:01
What are the odds you'd hit that chimney. The chimney was likely jealous because it can't fly and slapped your drone. I've had the same trouble in tight locations, and like you, I try to learn from my crashes. After several similar crashes, I decided to order some prop guards. I don't fly with the guards on often, but I pop them on If I'm nervous around obstacles. They won't help much in a high speed crash, but they help you breath easier when shooting in tight spots

TrevorSK, hahahaha, nice one re the chimney.  Unfortunately for me, my favourite shots are the ones flying low and close to things.  Crashing and minor bingles are an occupational hazard.  The lesson for me is all about not pushing limits so far, trying to get that perfect shot.  The risk/reward equation doesn’t compute if the drone crashes.
2019-6-25
Use props
zahi.m
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15387 ft
Israel

lesson learned , thanks.
2019-6-25
Use props
Edward Smith's Replacement
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1837444 ft
United States

Wondering why you turned off OA?
2019-6-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Si_Co Posted at 6-24 12:16
Yeah Montfrooij, we were on a short holiday at the time and, even though the drone was still working properly, and I was able to keep using it, I couldn’t help but reflect and re-think the episode, with that crappy feeling you get in the pit of your stomach.  I’m over it now though I’ve  moved on.

I totally get that feeling thinking about that.
You can only draw your conclusions from it, learning from the things you could have done differently and hope bad luck stays away....
2019-6-26
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Jeez, so easy done though but at least you're still flying
2019-6-27
Use props
Daltair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1167723 ft
United States

I'd better make reversed video. Fly from top to the ground much safer.
2019-6-27
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

good news in the end and valuable experience gained. nice video
2019-6-27
Use props
Si_Co
Second Officer
Australia

I had turned them off for a previous shot where I flew through the open doorway of a ruined building and forgot to turn them back on.
2019-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules