Number of Battery Cycles ?
22620 32 2019-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

What would be a fair expectation of the number of battery cycles a bloke could expect from P4P+ batteries ?
I look after mine carefully and store them correctly.
At present they are around 80/85 cycles & still performing well,  but with the re-supply situation I am starting to get nervous.

2019-6-23
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

A lot last more than 200.
2019-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Manxmann. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The charge circle is 300 times under normal circumstances and 200 times under 40-degree centigrade. The battery can still be used if the charge cycle is more than 200 times. The battery's warranty period is 6 months and the Charge Cycle less than 200 times. Actually, the battery life span of your unit, regardless if it's the intelligent flight battery would depend on how you will take care of it. Thank you.
2019-6-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-23 08:23
Hello and good day Manxmann. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The charge circle is 300 times under normal circumstances and 200 times under 40-degree centigrade. The battery can still be used if the charge cycle is more than 200 times. The battery's warranty period is 6 months and the Charge Cycle less than 200 times. Actually, the battery life span of your unit, regardless if it's the intelligent flight battery would depend on how you will take care of it. Thank you.

Do the batteries last longer if you land when it's 50% instead of 25%?  Does it increase the charge circle time by 100% or 5%? 0%? or -5% or -100%?
2019-6-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-23 11:41
Do the batteries last longer if you land when it's 50% instead of 25%?  Does it increase the charge circle time by 100% or 5%? 0%? or -5% or -100%?

As long as batterys are not pushed too hard and they are stored correctly - the difference in life expectancy is down to frequency of use.
2019-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's just math.  50% is half a cycle.  Burning 75% battery and then charging it is three-quarters of a cycle.  But it's always displayed as a rounded whole number.  So in theory if you flew 50% every flight, you could get 600 flights and the battery would show 300 cycles.  But there are not many people who have had batteries that last 300 cycles or even 200 cycles.  The "Percentage of Life" would be 90% with 30 cycles 50% with 150 cycles, and 0% with 300 cycles, and so on.  But percentage of life is meaningless if you abuse your battery.   
2019-6-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 6-23 12:28
As long as batterys are not pushed too hard and they are stored correctly - the difference in life expectancy is down to frequency of use.

I think it's down to how long the battery is at a fully charged state.  Does keeping it at the highest voltage degrade it faster?
2019-6-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-23 16:48
I think it's down to how long the battery is at a fully charged state.  Does keeping it at the highest voltage degrade it faster?

You choosing to keep your lipo battery at the highest voltage is sort of like you choosing to do a swan dive from the 19th floor of an office building.  
2019-6-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How about dropping them on the ground (tarmac) from about 2-3 feet, did it blooming twice yesterday with 2 separate batteries, 1st time i pulled the drone out the bag and totally forgot i have the battery loose in the ac nowadays, second time the other battery slipped from my blooming fingers, so nervous of lipo's so ive left those 2 on the counter so i can keep checking them now :/
2019-6-23
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Bashy Posted at 6-23 19:07
How about dropping them on the ground (tarmac) from about 2-3 feet, did it blooming twice yesterday with 2 separate batteries, 1st time i pulled the drone out the bag and totally forgot i have the battery loose in the ac nowadays, second time the other battery slipped from my blooming fingers, so nervous of lipo's so ive left those 2 on the counter so i can keep checking them now :/

That doesn't sound good Bashy,  I wouldn't think that would do them (batteries) a lot of good - although a good shake up may have re-arranged the memory ?   
Why do you leave the battery lose in the AC ?  I'd have thought that was asking for trouble ?

2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-23 08:23
Hello and good day Manxmann. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The charge circle is 300 times under normal circumstances and 200 times under 40-degree centigrade. The battery can still be used if the charge cycle is more than 200 times. The battery's warranty period is 6 months and the Charge Cycle less than 200 times. Actually, the battery life span of your unit, regardless if it's the intelligent flight battery would depend on how you will take care of it. Thank you.

Thanks DJI Stephen,  I look after my batteries and have only once flown at 40C plus,  the AC wasn't happy & neither was I !  

Any news on the availability of Genuine replacement batteries ?
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 6-23 04:24
A lot last more than 200.

Thanks Alabama,  I have a we way to go then !
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

I think I understand :
Does any re-charge count as  a battery cycle  even if it's a re-charge from say 80% ?
Is that it ?

What do you say DJI ?
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 6-23 12:28

By frequency of use,  do you mean the number of re-charge cycles ?
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-23 12:45
It's just math.  50% is half a cycle.  Burning 75% battery and then charging it is three-quarters of a cycle.  But it's always displayed as a rounded whole number.  So in theory if you flew 50% every flight, you could get 600 flights and the battery would show 300 cycles.  But there are not many people who have had batteries that last 300 cycles or even 200 cycles.  The "Percentage of Life" would be 90% with 30 cycles 50% with 150 cycles, and 0% with 300 cycles, and so on.  But percentage of life is meaningless if you abuse your battery.

That raises the question of how expensive it is to fly ---  assuming you can buy new batteries !
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-23 17:38
You choosing to keep your lipo battery at the highest voltage is sort of like you choosing to do a swan dive from the 19th floor of an office building.

Mmmm,  could be a "one off"  event you reckon ?  
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

It would all be irrelevant if we had a reliable supply of suitably priced batteries
2019-6-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Manxmann Posted at 6-24 02:11
By frequency of use,  do you mean the number of re-charge cycles ?

No...

Frequency of use ... is how often you fly. Lets say two people have same gear. One flies 1x a week - other flies 7x a week. In theory as long as they both fly similar, land at similar %, storage similar ... second guys packs should last 1/7th the length of time of first guys.

Its actually not true though. Yes the second guy should realistically expect his packs to fail earlier, but he's cycling his batterys with less standing storage periods. Do not think that cycling improves a LiPo ... it does not. But Cycling reduces the idle time that can lead to degradation.

Charge cycles ... partial charging increments charge cycle count partially. Therefore very few recharges constitute a full 1 count.
2019-6-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-23 17:38

Sort of !!

Trouble is as we all see now and again ... people posting that they keep their packs charged ready to go and they get reasonable life from them.

What I think gets forgotten there - many of those choose this way because of the call to flight urgency or simply they fly so often they need to keep batterys charged up. Which in effect because of the frequent discharge reduces the full charge effects

I moved from the NiCd to NiMh to LiPo / LiFe battery use and initially treated LiPo similar to NiMh. I still have one or two of those packs in use - albeit on low demand use such as TX's or flashlights. The old NiXX days were to keep batterys full charged even in storage ... and with NiCd to discharge fully and then recharge to keep them performing. (it broke up the r crystalline formation).
2019-6-24
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 6-23 19:07
How about dropping them on the ground (tarmac) from about 2-3 feet, did it blooming twice yesterday with 2 separate batteries, 1st time i pulled the drone out the bag and totally forgot i have the battery loose in the ac nowadays, second time the other battery slipped from my blooming fingers, so nervous of lipo's so ive left those 2 on the counter so i can keep checking them now :/

Wow, when I first got my extra batteries I forgot to close the top of the bag and the batteries flew out.  It hit carpet though as I was wondering where they went but after that, I've realized to always check to make sure everything is sealed before heading out.
2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Manxmann Posted at 6-24 02:06
Thanks DJI Stephen,  I look after my batteries and have only once flown at 40C plus,  the AC wasn't happy & neither was I !  

Any news on the availability of Genuine replacement batteries ?

You are very much welcome Manxmann and I am sorry to know about these additional information that you have shared. As of the moment we still have no information on when will be the availability of the genuine DJI intelligent flight batteries be available on our DJI online store.  In addition you may try to check this link for the availability of the genuine DJI Products and Accessories as well. I hope this can help you.  Have a safe and happy flying always.

www.dji.com/where-to-buy
2019-6-24
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-24 10:02
You are very much welcome Manxmann and I am sorry to know about these additional information that you have shared. As of the moment we still have no information on when will be the availability of the genuine DJI intelligent flight batteries be available on our DJI online store.  In addition you may try to check this link for the availability of the genuine DJI Products and Accessories as well. I hope this can help you.  Have a safe and happy flying always.

www.dji.com/where-to-buy

You added to buy accessories. There is no logic on this end for not having batteries in the DJI store. So why buy (accessories) when you can't fly (batteries). It is just weird.
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 6-24 03:54
No...

Frequency of use ... is how often you fly. Lets say two people have same gear. One flies 1x a week - other flies 7x a week. In theory as long as they both fly similar, land at similar %, storage similar ... second guys packs should last 1/7th the length of time of first guys.

Is it not better to keep batteries fully charged between frequent (every few days)  flights then ?
2019-6-25
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-24 10:02
You are very much welcome Manxmann and I am sorry to know about these additional information that you have shared. As of the moment we still have no information on when will be the availability of the genuine DJI intelligent flight batteries be available on our DJI online store.  In addition you may try to check this link for the availability of the genuine DJI Products and Accessories as well. I hope this can help you.  Have a safe and happy flying always.

www.dji.com/where-to-buy

At least thankyou for your advice re the battery situation DJI Stephen

2019-6-25
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-24 06:57
Wow, when I first got my extra batteries I forgot to close the top of the bag and the batteries flew out.  It hit carpet though as I was wondering where they went but after that, I've realized to always check to make sure everything is sealed before heading out.

That could have been an expensive accident
2019-6-25
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 6-24 03:54
No...

Frequency of use ... is how often you fly. Lets say two people have same gear. One flies 1x a week - other flies 7x a week. In theory as long as they both fly similar, land at similar %, storage similar ... second guys packs should last 1/7th the length of time of first guys.

I just checked my flights vs recharges and find that after 106 flights my batteries have been recharged 1) 50.  and  2) 49 times.
Just saying ................
2019-6-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Manxmann Posted at 6-25 01:03
At least thankyou for your advice re the battery situation DJI Stephen

You are very much welcome Manxmann and thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-28
Use props
JVGB
lvl.1

Hi guys! I am really new in Drone, and I am planning to buy my DJI 3 or 4 Pro for land surveying purposes. I wasn't planning on number of batteries needed for my work until I found this Topic by accident. My work will require 7 flights (using Drone Deploy) a day to measure how much work was done during the day for each step of the work (in which is mining industry). I think for each flight I will need almost a full charge of battery, that's why I am planning to have at least 3 plus batteries to operate. But how long will my batteries last, considering those conditions on average? It seems like I will need a new pack of batteries every 2 months? is it right?
2019-10-1
Use props
JVGB
lvl.1

JVGB Posted at 10-1 08:50
Hi guys! I am really new in Drone, and I am planning to buy my DJI 3 or 4 Pro for land surveying purposes. I wasn't planning on number of batteries needed for my work until I found this Topic by accident. My work will require 7 flights (using Drone Deploy) a day to measure how much work was done during the day for each step of the work (in which is mining industry). I think for each flight I will need almost a full charge of battery, that's why I am planning to have at least 3 plus batteries to operate. But how long will my batteries last, considering those conditions on average? It seems like I will need a new pack of batteries every 2 months? is it right?

I mean, considering that the battery lasts 200 cycles on average, flying 7x/day > 200/7 = 28 days. So 1 new battery/month?
2019-10-1
Use props
solentlife
First Officer

JVGB Posted at 10-1 08:58
I mean, considering that the battery lasts 200 cycles on average, flying 7x/day > 200/7 = 28 days. So 1 new battery/month?

But you will have 3 batterys according your earlier post.

So that means your batterys will perform 2 flights each, with one doing 3.

The frequency of flights ... if you are using them at least 2x each day - will mean they will likely give more than the 200 cycles.

Do not forget that you will be landing at a level that is not full use of battery charge - if you did use all - 1. the Phantom would land out where it is ... 2. You would quickly destroy your batterys far short of anywhere near 200 cycles.

Therefore sensible use and landing at say 25 - 30% would be fine ... recharge to fly again that day ... land out at again 25 - 30% ... that will constitute ~ 1.5 cycles ...
Given 2 flights per day ... 1.5 cycles ... even at 200 = 133 days use ...
2019-10-1
Use props
sohelzx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253901 ft

Bangladesh

solentlife Posted at 2019-10-1 09:32
But you will have 3 batterys according your earlier post.

So that means your batterys will perform 2 flights each, with one doing 3.

Sir, I have a question. I fly my drone 2-3 days Intermittently and I land my drone at 25-30% battery. Should I keep the battery on this percentage or I charged it 50% and store it for 2 days and when want to fly, fully charged it and go for  fly?
2020-10-1
Use props
bigal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65771 ft
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 2019-6-24 02:06
Thanks DJI Stephen,  I look after my batteries and have only once flown at 40C plus,  the AC wasn't happy & neither was I !  

Any news on the availability of Genuine replacement batteries ?

Has anyone tried a compatible (none original) battery  with there Phantom 4 if so  what are the pros and cons
2020-10-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My last flight was logged using a battery that has been charged 90 times and Airdata reports it still having 92% life. It's one of three I bought with the drone and all are 4 years old with similar usage. I reckon there's plenty more life left in them yet.
2020-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules