Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Direction indicator
1689 15 2019-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi, using the Dji go app, the direction indicator on my tablet (Samsung S2) is showing a different direction to what is actual. I can see the front of the drone but on the tablet it's showing almost the opposite. Does my tablet have to be conected to the internet and do I need to have the maps showing ? I dont have data on my tablet and WiFi is too far away. what must I do ? Ps Drone is Phantom 3 Pro.
2019-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Pitsmoor Col. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to use a different recommended mobile device for your DJI Phantom 3 Pro to see if the issue will still persist and for us to be able to isolate the said issue. In addition I will be posting the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to help you further. Thank you.

2019-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Here's a real answer instead of what's been offered above.

No, you don't need to be connected to the internet, or have maps showing, or have data or wifi.
None of those would have any effect on the direction your red paper plane icon is pointing.

The most likely cause of the issue you describe is that you need to calibrate the compass in your tablet (not the drone).

2019-6-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

mmm

I would like a bit more clarification on the directions ...

Default 'radar' as some like to call it is NORTH up ... and so is map display unless you tap icon to change it.

My clarification is basically a question :

When you are flying ... on the map - a trail line should extend out from your home point to where the drone is - this is a guide to let you turn and fly home along it if you lose sight. Do you have that line on screen ?
When the drone is facing you - that may not be shown as directly UP the screen .. but should be in the required compass direction .. ie along that line on the map screen. If you are WEST of the drone ... the arrow will point to the left ... if you are SOUTH - the arrow will point down etc.

Are you confusing HEAD UP with NORTH UP ? Thinking that when drone is flying toward you - the arrow should be pointing UP or DOWN ?

2019-6-23
Use props
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 6-23 10:53
mmm

I would like a bit more clarification on the directions ...

Hi, I don't have a trail line, and there is no map it's just a dark Orange square with an arrow pointing to me, the drone is on the floor facing away from me,  when it takes off and I rotate it the arrow rotates but is not orientated the same as the drone, it is always pointing in the opposite direction from the drone. How do I get the maps on my tablet with out WiFi, there is no data on the tablet.
2019-6-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Pitsmoor Col Posted at 6-23 11:56
Hi, I don't have a trail line, and there is no map it's just a dark Orange square with an arrow pointing to me, the drone is on the floor facing away from me,  when it takes off and I rotate it the arrow rotates but is not orientated the same as the drone, it is always pointing in the opposite direction from the drone. How do I get the maps on my tablet with out WiFi, there is no data on the tablet.

1. You will never get correct indoors - which is what I understand by you saying 'on the floor'.

You have no data on the tablet ? Samsung S2 ? That has WiFi capability.

OK when at home with your WiFi
Go to tablet settings and enable WiFi
Power up everything and let the tablet start displaying map (tap the map small picture to make full screen) ... as the map clears and becomes good scroll around so that tablet caches the maps it needs for flight.
You can scroll to any other area to cache if you intend to fly elsewhere as well.

Once you have the map areas cached. Power down and disable WiFi on the tablet.

Now go outside to clear area and power up. Hopefully now that you are 1. Not indoors, 2. Have cached maps - you will have better orientation.
2019-6-23
Use props
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 6-23 12:25
1. You will never get correct indoors - which is what I understand by you saying 'on the floor'.

You have no data on the tablet ? Samsung S2 ? That has WiFi capability.

I was outside, Should have said "on the ground" My mistake. The trouble is I am out of WiFi range, I will have a go at what you suggest first chance I get. Many thanks.
2019-6-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Czechia

Pitsmoor Col Posted at 6-23 14:28
I was outside, Should have said "on the ground" My mistake. The trouble is I am out of WiFi range, I will have a go at what you suggest first chance I get. Many thanks.

Here's a short video of cacheing maps

Here is a screen recording of a flight ... ignore the camera talk .. main thing is to watch the smaller map display bottom left and the Arrow / RTH and trail lines

2019-6-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Czechia

"Pitsmoor Col"

Any success ??
2019-6-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Czechia

Here's a video I made today to illustrate the mapping and lines ...

2019-6-25
Use props
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 6-25 08:09
Here's a video I made today to illustrate the mapping and lines ...

https://youtu.be/kfu5wIb3KUg

Hi mate, not had much time to fly my drone yet. The vid's are very informative, many thanks for your help.
2019-7-3
Use props
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have managed to spend a bit of time with my Phantom 3 today, I have managed to improve the direction indicator on my Samsung S2 tablet it's just a few degrees off now. One thing I did notice, the vid I made did not record to the sd card instead it recorded to the tablet. How do I alter this ?   many thanks.  Colin..
2019-7-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Pitsmoor Col Posted at 7-14 02:42
I have managed to spend a bit of time with my Phantom 3 today, I have managed to improve the direction indicator on my Samsung S2 tablet it's just a few degrees off now. One thing I did notice, the vid I made did not record to the sd card instead it recorded to the tablet. How do I alter this ?   many thanks.  Colin..

the vid I made did not record to the sd card instead it recorded to the tablet. How do I alter this ?   
For the P3, the video always goes to the SD card.
What you've got on your tablet is a low-res cached version, not the real video.
Maybe you did not stop the recording before shutting down the drone?
2019-7-14
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Sweden

"Maybe you did not stop the recording before shutting down the drone?"

As long as he didn't pull the battery immediately he should have the video on SD card ... when we shut down - the video will complete even if we do not tap STOP video ... as its part of the shut down.
DJI manual does say that in event of video not completing - to repower the machine and let it complete ... as long as no flight since the error.

To "Pitsmoor Col" .... did you see any warning on screen when you started up or tapped start video ? Bad card or too slow card would throw up a warning on screen ...
2019-7-14
Use props
Pitsmoor Col
lvl.2

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 7-14 09:17
"Maybe you did not stop the recording before shutting down the drone?"

As long as he didn't pull the battery immediately he should have the video on SD card ... when we shut down - the video will complete even if we do not tap STOP video ... as its part of the shut down.

I did not see any warnings on the tablet.
2019-7-14
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Sweden

How are you checking SD card ?

Are you removing card and reading on your PC ?

There are two USB ports on the P3P ... one on the body of the AC ... other is in the side of the camera gimbal board. You can view the SD card via the camera gimbal board - but its very slow and requires AC to be powered up. The USB on the AC body does not give access to the video card.
Best is removing the card and reading direct on computer.
2019-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules