12Next >
7590 57 2019-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Screenshot_2019-06-21-06-10-05-772_dji.mimo.png
This time it is real. Updated without a problem.

1. Added phase detection auto focus to increase focus speed!
2. Added support for the Osmo Pocket Extension Rod.
3. Added underwater mode for the Osmo Pocket Waterproof Case.
4. Increased download speed when using playback.

* The accessories will be released in July.
So all my interest is in the Phase detection. Cause normally phase detection requires special hardware to built in.
I am quarious if DJI planned phase detection all along and built hardware in from the release or they find some sofeware tricks.

It is night in my timezone and only had initial impression but I feel something is different.

Basic idea of phase detection is that it is great for cuntinueous auto focus for video because it does not hunt for a focus.
So I give it a little moving focus test and it was not hunting and do feel faster.
I actually had taken moving focus sample with previous firmware. So later when sun is up, I will take the same shot with new firmware and will see if it is improved.

Great job DJI!

2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Playback speed is much faster when you connect to the phone.
2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Tide. Thank you for sharing this information regarding the released of the new DJI Osmo Pocket V01.08.00.20 firmware and for your insight as well. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-24
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Ill check this out later today..thanks for the info
2019-6-24
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Thanks Tide for your first  impressions.
I'm really looking forward to your results
2019-6-24
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

New auto focus works great!
2019-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

No Problems my end. So far Mimo now works better with my phone than before. Less lag to the screen and controls on the phone more responsive than before. Battery drain from the Osmo Pocket to phone seems to be slightly higher though. Focus is definitely faster but I don't know if it's more accurate yet or produces less or any pumping. What I will be looking for is the slight out of focus you get when panning to see if that improves.
2019-6-24
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

To me it seems that there is more focus pumping, or that is more noticeable. I kinda regret upgrading. Is there a way to downgrade?
2019-6-24
Use props
NeonAura
lvl.2

United States

My attempts to update to 01.08... still getting either 0% or 50% and then stuck.  I have reformat a 128 SD twice to no avail.
2019-6-24
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

andrei193 Posted at 6-24 12:31
To me it seems that there is more focus pumping, or that is more noticeable. I kinda regret upgrading. Is there a way to downgrade?

That would be bad if the auto focus would occur again.
2019-6-24
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

Udo13 Posted at 6-24 12:51
That would be bad if the auto focus would occur again.

Yeah, I mean the last firmware pretty much made autofocus great and had no problems. The only reason I updated is because they said in the description phase detection. I will test more tomorrow.
2019-6-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Firmware can only be updated. It's not normally a rollback situation as you can do with software.  
2019-6-24
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

NeonAura Posted at 6-24 12:44
My attempts to update to 01.08... still getting either 0% or 50% and then stuck.  I have reformat a 128 SD twice to no avail.

Clear all data of DJI Mimo (reset app), it should install then.
2019-6-24
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

I think that the focus pumps will be reduced by hybird-af although it is faster than cdaf.
2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I will make a separate video about it but from the test...
It focus faster than contrast detection in two ways.
1. Faster detection.
    (Yellow focus marker become solid faster. A little faster)
2. Faster getting to focus.
   (From foreground focus to in-focus, phase detection is focus in faster. A little bit faster)

However it is not like continuous tracking focus of Sony mirrorless body during the video shoot. (That would be too much to ask)

It is beneficial nevertheless. However there is a question in focus accuracy. For this I need more testing.
2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Ah also I find no focus pulsing so far but previous update was already great at removing focus pulse.

My real question would be this small device really have a dedicated phase detection hardware or dual pixel built in.
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

Hi Tode, thank you so much for the news, I know contrast AF is better for still object and more percise, does the new firmware keep the conttast AF as an option or it is now workinh with the new phase detection, or there is no contrast AF any more? Can you still tap any where to focus? I want to know everything is right before update
2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Cool h Posted at 6-24 15:44
Hi Tode, thank you so much for the news, I know contrast AF is better for still object and more percise, does the new firmware keep the conttast AF as an option or it is now workinh with the new phase detection, or there is no contrast AF any more? Can you still tap any where to focus? I want to know everything is right before update

You are welcome.
Touch focus function is still there.
There is no menu to choose between CDAF and PDAF. No indication if it is exclusively PDAF or CDAF is still working in conjunction.  
2019-6-24
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

NeonAura Posted at 6-24 12:44

Mine held at 50%, then continued at a much slower pace.
2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Curt1591 Posted at 6-24 15:57
Mine held at 50%, then continued at a much slower pace.

50% is downloading part. Afterward is an actual install and it is slower but works in the end.
2019-6-24
Use props
Matt_
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Recently got an Osmo Pocket and just did this update so I can't compare too much to the previous focusing however:

After the update the waterproof case mode was turned on, either by the update or by me accidentally? Commonly used settings become greyed out with no explanation other than a small icon being present (It's obvious once you know - but unclear otherwise). It should ideally mention "Option locked due to waterproof case mode" when you try to click a disabled option? Took me a while to find the option to turn off this mode and I couldn't figure out why it was locked facing upwards.

Also I couldn't get the wireless module to work at all until checking this forum. Then I discovered you apparently have to turn off mobile data for some reason? Every time.. which isn't ideal and easy to forget. It'd be great to remove this unnecessary step for spontaneous timelapses for example. This is using a Pixel 3 if anyone has a way to fix this.

Overall really impressed though, just these two points might trip up anyone new to the device that doesn't check forums.
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

Tide Posted at 6-24 15:56
You are welcome.
Touch focus function is still there.
There is no menu to choose between CDAF and PDAF. No indication if it is exclusively PDAF or CDAF is still working in conjunction.
If touching anywhere can focus, does it highly suggest that the contrast AF is still working ?
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

please compare the shapness in focus area Tide, if it is fofter then before then PDAF has completely taken over the contrast detection, if there is no difference in sharpness then contrast detection is working with PDAF
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

Good news! Just call DJI and they CONFIRM the new systerm is both PDAF and CDAF cooperate, that means we got both accuracy and speed!
2019-6-24
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Cool h Posted at 6-24 18:21
Good news! Just call DJI and they CONFIRM the new systerm is both PDAF and CDAF cooperate, that means we got both accuracy and speed!

Wow so it is basically a hybrid AF.
Now wonder how much PDAF covers the area if frame.
Need to re-think the test cases.
I only considered center focus comparison.
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

They refuse to answer my question about the PD points, so we are now depend on your test Tide, lets go
2019-6-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Matt_ Posted at 6-24 17:32
Recently got an Osmo Pocket and just did this update so I can't compare too much to the previous focusing however:

After the update the waterproof case mode was turned on, either by the update or by me accidentally? Commonly used settings become greyed out with no explanation other than a small icon being present (It's obvious once you know - but unclear otherwise). It should ideally mention "Option locked due to waterproof case mode" when you try to click a disabled option? Took me a while to find the option to turn off this mode and I couldn't figure out why it was locked facing upwards.

Perhaps your phone is using mobile data when it can't connect to the internet via the Pocket.  Is there a phone setting (in its wifi settings) to change that behaviour?  Just guessing...
2019-6-24
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Romania

andrei193 Posted at 6-24 12:53
Yeah, I mean the last firmware pretty much made autofocus great and had no problems. The only reason I updated is because they said in the description phase detection. I will test more tomorrow.

So I tested it further in various lighting conditions (and compared it to previous recording taken with the previous firmware) and I must say that I don't see much of a difference, wich is fine by me cause the autofocus in the last firmware was very good and I was pleased. I can say that maybe it is a tad faster in switching focus from a close object to the background and viceversa. I have an event coming this weekend and I will do lot's of filming and give a definitive answer.
2019-6-25
Use props
djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51342 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just completed the update myself and calibration.   Can confirm that focus pumping is back and noticeable again.   The last update had a slower autofocus during video capture which reduced the extreme focus pumping (hunting for focus) when the device first came out.  This latest update puts it halfway back in terms of the noticeable focus pumping/hunting.   It focuses fairly quick, but you clearly see your object go in and out of focus resulting in the pumping effect, whereas the last update was slower to focus but never appeared to hunt for it. I was very comfortable relying on AFC with last update for captures, but it looks like I have to go back to AFS to avoid that focus pumping again.  Looking forward to another update that will address this once again.   I wish I avoided this update, but Osmo Pocket firmware upgrades have been fairly consistent with improvements each time.   
2019-6-25
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

andrei193 Posted at 6-25 02:33
So I tested it further in various lighting conditions (and compared it to previous recording taken with the previous firmware) and I must say that I don't see much of a difference, wich is fine by me cause the autofocus in the last firmware was very good and I was pleased. I can say that maybe it is a tad faster in switching focus from a close object to the background and viceversa. I have an event coming this weekend and I will do lot's of filming and give a definitive answer.

I updated mine and noticed a few difference, it seems the PDAF take place first, snap the object to focus and at the end a very small breathing happen indicate the contrast detection take place. The result is very sharp image compare to my old videos and photos, when in selfie mode I can easily see the skin texture on my face
2019-6-25
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf Posted at 6-25 07:04
Just completed the update myself and calibration.   Can confirm that focus pumping is back and noticeable again.   The last update had a slower autofocus during video capture which reduced the extreme focus pumping (hunting for focus) when the device first came out.  This latest update puts it halfway back in terms of the noticeable focus pumping/hunting.   It focuses fairly quick, but you clearly see your object go in and out of focus resulting in the pumping effect, whereas the last update was slower to focus but never appeared to hunt for it. I was very comfortable relying on AFC with last update for captures, but it looks like I have to go back to AFS to avoid that focus pumping again.  Looking forward to another update that will address this once again.   I wish I avoided this update, but Osmo Pocket firmware upgrades have been fairly consistent with improvements each time.

Yes I love how stable the last one snap to focus, it is slower but smoother and when focus it stay still, the motion is so satisfied I almost enjoy watching it focus, it feels cool and special, haven't see any other device focus like that. The new one has a slight breathing in every end of auto focus, it is not very noticable, however it does produce more accurate result than the last firmware, which is better trade off to me, so the breathing is acceptable for me (I prefer shaper image over solid focus movement)
2019-6-25
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

I have a guess now, maybe the last firmware already introduced the PDAF? And it is PDAF only so there is least focus pulse ever, and this one is a PDAF combine with CDAF so noticable pulse happen at the end of focusing?
I have this guess because the previous one just stay still as soon as it focus without any pulsing and that is impossible for CDAF, which needs an over focus movent to decide where the highest contrast is.
2019-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf Posted at 6-25 07:04
Just completed the update myself and calibration.   Can confirm that focus pumping is back and noticeable again.   The last update had a slower autofocus during video capture which reduced the extreme focus pumping (hunting for focus) when the device first came out.  This latest update puts it halfway back in terms of the noticeable focus pumping/hunting.   It focuses fairly quick, but you clearly see your object go in and out of focus resulting in the pumping effect, whereas the last update was slower to focus but never appeared to hunt for it. I was very comfortable relying on AFC with last update for captures, but it looks like I have to go back to AFS to avoid that focus pumping again.  Looking forward to another update that will address this once again.   I wish I avoided this update, but Osmo Pocket firmware upgrades have been fairly consistent with improvements each time.

Can you post some footage ?
2019-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cool h Posted at 6-25 07:34
I updated mine and noticed a few difference, it seems the PDAF take place first, snap the object to focus and at the end a very small breathing happen indicate the contrast detection take place. The result is very sharp image compare to my old videos and photos, when in selfie mode I can easily see the skin texture on my face

Maybe post sample of footage .
2019-6-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

andrei193 Posted at 6-25 02:33

I have similar impression focus seems slightly quicker, haven’t noticed as others have said here an increase in focus pumping .
2019-6-25
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 6-25 08:15
Can you post some footage ?
Are you among those people who hold the update untill seeing enogh proof? I am one myself but I had been waiting for a day and saw no one post any video and I just couldn't wait and I updateD it whatever Just embrace the change bro and find out yourself, it is just better!
2019-6-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I held back updating (a) because I didn't have time and (b) I was waiting to see if anyone said their Pocket had been bricked...

I am uploading a simple test to YouTube right now.  It might take a while.  I planned to do a before and after test but light conditions in the late afternoon changed too much to make a useful comparison.  But I did notice a significant reluctance with the old firmware to pull focus from close to distant - basically, it really didn't seem to want to do so - when tapping the screen.

Watch this space for the test video...  [now see next post]
2019-6-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2019-6-26
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand