Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro DJI need to acknowledge major design flaw with gimbal
1870 19 2019-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gyrex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'll be sending my P4P back once again (5th, 6th or 7th time - I've lost count) for issues with the gimbal on my P4P and I firmly believe that there's a major design flaw with the P4P's gimbal. I never had this many issues with my P3A or my P4. I believe that the gimbal motors lack the requisite torque for the camera on the P4P.

This time I'm getting the motor squeeking noise issue and the gimbal housing (where the SD card slots into) gets so hot you can barely touch it. I mean it must be 60-80C in that housing.

Previous gimbal issues have been:
* camera not centering/not flying straight (2x)
* horizon not straight
* gimbal jerking/twitching around when panning (2x)
* gimbal twitching when tilting the gimbal
* constant gimbal motor overload errors

It just never ends... And most of the posts on here with faults are gimbal related. I never have gimbal issues on my Mavic Air - which I had to buy as a backup because my P4P is constanly in for repair for gimbal issues, it's an absolute joke for what's supposed to be a premium pro-consumer drone.

Can someone from DJI please explain?

2019-6-24
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Keep sending till they fix it properly.
2019-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I firmly believe that there's a major design flaw with the P4P's gimbal.
I firmly believe you have a problem with yours but the very large number of users having no such problems would suggest that the design is not the problem.
You're joking aren't you?
You'll never find any explanation from DJI in this forum.
2019-6-24
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 6-24 16:47
I firmly believe that there's a major design flaw with the P4P's gimbal.
I firmly believe you have a problem with yours but the very large number of users having no such problems would suggest that the design is not the problem.

Yeh, I suppose I've just been unlucky with the 5 or 6 replacement P4P's I've had and just blind luck with the zero issues with my P3A, P4 & Mavic Air. Most of the hardware issues on here relate to gimbal issues.

I'm aware I won't get any worthwhile response from DJI on here but I'm hoping if enough people kick up a stink they might do something - wishful thinking I suppose.
2019-6-24
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 6-24 16:16
Keep sending till they fix it properly.

I thought my current 5th or 6th replacement P4P was going to be a winner but obviously not. I guess I'm back on the lucky dip replacement carousel again.
2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi gyrex, sorry for the inconvenience caused. As for the gimbal noise, may I know what's the current firmware? And have you tried to calibrate the gimbal successfully?
2019-6-24
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 6-24 18:40
Hi gyrex, sorry for the inconvenience caused. As for the gimbal noise, may I know what's the current firmware? And have you tried to calibrate the gimbal successfully?

2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Are they returning your P4 or a factory re-cycled unit ?  Have you been keeping track of the serial numbers ?
My P4P+ has been away a couple of times & I got a different unit back each time .
2019-6-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for the confusion caused. As for the gimbal noise, we have optimized in version V01.05.0300, so we need to confirm the version number and see whether it is this case. If you have got V01.05.0300 or later firmware, I'm afraid that you may send the unit in and offer the latest case number, we'll keep following up. Again, we sincerely apologize for the troubles caused.
2019-6-25
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Now that's the funniest response I have seen in a long time.  LOL

Sorry to see you having so much trouble.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
2019-6-25
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 6-25 01:27
Are they returning your P4 or a factory re-cycled unit ?  Have you been keeping track of the serial numbers ?
My P4P+ has been away a couple of times & I got a different unit back each time .

I've never received my original unit back - I always seem to enter the lucky dip refurb game where sometimes you get a refurb unit with different issues to the one you sent back but nearly always this unit also has some kind of gimbal issue (major or minor).

I'm of the opinion that the gimbal motors aren't providing enough torque to keep the camera stable - especially when doing pan and turn shots where you can often see slight camera shaking/vibrations/jerks with the higher g-forces. This issue has existed on every single unit I've had (different serial numbers) and therefore I propose that this is a design issue. I never had any of these issues on the P4 or P3A...
2019-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too have gimbal issues, namely the, when turning one, it means that filming at speed its not possible, so whilst the AC can in fact go as fast as 44mph, if you need to turn  no matter how little, you can forget filming that turn, same applies to low speed but with with higher wind speed. Also, quite a few have this very issue too, its of the opinion that its at the end of what it can handle, i have to ask then, why does it only do it when turning one direction, problem is, i cannot remember if its left or right now lol

As for you latest issue, this was resolved with a later firmware, so make sure you have the latest installed, perhaps even try a refresh of the firmware?
2019-6-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

gyrex Posted at 6-25 13:19
I've never received my original unit back - I always seem to enter the lucky dip refurb game where sometimes you get a refurb unit with different issues to the one you sent back but nearly always this unit also has some kind of gimbal issue (major or minor).

I'm of the opinion that the gimbal motors aren't providing enough torque to keep the camera stable - especially when doing pan and turn shots where you can often see slight camera shaking/vibrations/jerks with the higher g-forces. This issue has existed on every single unit I've had (different serial numbers) and therefore I propose that this is a design issue. I never had any of these issues on the P4 or P3A...

The longer I'm following this thread, the more I'm convicted that you're one extremely unlucky dude ... It's next to impossible to receive 5 or 6 different Phantom 4 Pro replacements (refurbished or not) exhibiting the same fault. Unless - unlikely - somebody at DJI is playing some sadistic game with you ... What did you do to deserve such treatment ???

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with P4P gimbal design. Remains a mystery, however, how did they managed sending you back faulty ones. It's a statistical paradox, considering millions Phantoms flawlessly flying worldwide. I'm sure you'll get the right one finally. Once you do, it's nothing but joy to fly.
2019-6-25
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

gyrex Posted at 6-25 13:19
I've never received my original unit back - I always seem to enter the lucky dip refurb game where sometimes you get a refurb unit with different issues to the one you sent back but nearly always this unit also has some kind of gimbal issue (major or minor).

I'm of the opinion that the gimbal motors aren't providing enough torque to keep the camera stable - especially when doing pan and turn shots where you can often see slight camera shaking/vibrations/jerks with the higher g-forces. This issue has existed on every single unit I've had (different serial numbers) and therefore I propose that this is a design issue. I never had any of these issues on the P4 or P3A...

The implication is that every Phantom has  a gimbal problem .....  quite plainly not the case.  I have no suggestion to make - only a silly one about "How unlucky can you get?"

Despite the foregoing,  my first "Brand new out of the box" P4P+ had a noisy gimbal from the get-go.  Since then,  my replacements have been fine in that area.

Hang in,  you must get a good one soon & it'll be worth waiting for.  
We see a lot of comments in regards to faults & deficiencies,  but remember the millions out there that have not had a problem.   mmmm,  sorry,  that doesn't make you feel any better does it.

2019-6-26
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-25 21:25
The longer I'm following this thread, the more I'm convicted that you're one extremely unlucky dude ... It's next to impossible to receive 5 or 6 different Phantom 4 Pro replacements (refurbished or not) exhibiting the same fault. Unless - unlikely - somebody at DJI is playing some sadistic game with you ... What did you do to deserve such treatment  ???

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with P4P gimbal design. Remains a mystery, however, how did they managed sending you back faulty ones. It's statistical paradox, considering millions Phantoms flawlessly flying worldwide. I'm sure you'll get the right one finally. Once you do, it's nothing but joy to fly.

Ditto, my sentiments also   
2019-6-26
Use props
GottliebPins
  • >>>
United States

I have purchased and then dumped at considerable loss two P4Ps because of gimbal and other issues. I am currently on my third and last P4P. All of them have had wobbly gimbals. No matter how slow you are going and how gently you stop going sideways the camera just wobbles all over the place. It’s terrible. They also had other issues, one would never point in one direction. It would slowly rotate round and round and I had to calibrate the compass every time I started it up. The other had issues with signal breaking up every few seconds. And all of them have terrible image quality compared to the P4 standard. The contrast is too high (shadows very dark) and image is blurry. I am seriously disappointed. Now I understand why the Phantom series was discontinued. The P4 was far superior. I only keep my P4P as a backup in case my P4 should fail.
2019-6-27
Use props
Flybuddy60
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hello eveyone. My DJi P4P has also gimbal problems. After switching on for 5 minutes the Aircraft Status brings an Error blinking. Sayin "Remove the gimbal clamb. Contact DJI Support in this error persists, and Gimbal Motor overloaded. It gets very hot. Any Idea what to do without sending it in? Thanks for advices.
2019-6-28
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

Flybuddy60 Posted at 6-28 01:24
Hello eveyone. My DJi P4P has also gimbal problems. After switching on for 5 minutes the Aircraft Status brings an Error blinking. Sayin "Remove the gimbal clamb. Contact DJI Support in this error persists, and Gimbal Motor overloaded. It gets very hot. Any Idea what to do without sending it in? Thanks for advices.

I have a theory, which may make some laugh, but I believe that the ribbon cable is undo pressure on the gimble. therefore causing it to over compensate or may delay compensation.

Notice where the cameras land when Shut Off:
On my p4, it's almost straight ahead and horizontal.
On my P4Pv2 the camera leans to the left and won't hold in a horizontal position (because of the cable).
Also the ribbon cable is pushing the camera to the far right.

Conclusion: The gimble cannot be properly calibrated.
2019-6-28
Use props
gyrex
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 6-28 09:08
I have a theory, which may make some laugh, but I believe that the ribbon cable is undo pressure on the gimble. therefore causing it to over compensate or may delay compensation.

Notice where the cameras land when Shut Off:

There might be some value to this theory. Although I'm not sure if it's the flex cable or if it's just that the camera isn't balanced properly on the gimbal. With a properly balanced camera/gimbal setup, you should be able to move the camera into any position on X,Y,Z and it should stay there but obviously this isn't the case with the P4P gimbal.

I've just returned another P4P (7th or 8th one) for gimbal issues.
2019-7-31
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

gyrex Posted at 7-31 01:20
There might be some value to this theory. Although I'm not sure if it's the flex cable or if it's just that the camera isn't balanced properly on the gimbal. With a properly balanced camera/gimbal setup, you should be able to move the camera into any position on X,Y,Z and it should stay there but obviously this isn't the case with the P4P gimbal.

I've just returned another P4P (7th or 8th one) for gimbal issues.

Please keep me updated.
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules