Osmo Pocket not stabilized underwater?!?
2187 5 2019-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I was playing around with the new firmware update and unfortunately I’ve realized that the new underwater mode pretty much locks the Pocket´s vertical axis so in other words, no stabilization.
For me, the fact of having a gimbal underwater was the main reason for waiting patiently for the (still unreleased) underwater case. If this is confirmed, any UW footage will be practically worthless and worse than my previous GoPro 6.

Can any DJI rep confirm if the Osmo Pocket will have any kind of mechanical image stabilization underwater? If not, we will be better buying a GoPro or the new Osmo Action for this summer and save the money for the UW case...

Thanks in advance.
2019-6-27
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Germany

My feeling is pretty much the same. I do have the feeling it is slightly stabilized. I think the problem is as soon the lens will leave the orientation of the UW housings glass the image will get blurred. So Osmo will “fight” to stay parallel with the UW housing.
2019-6-27
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Use Osmo Action instead .......
2019-6-27
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

thortschman Posted at 6-27 23:15
My feeling is pretty much the same. I do have the feeling it is slightly stabilized. I think the problem is as soon the lens will leave the orientation of the UW housings glass the image will get blurred. So Osmo will “fight” to stay parallel with the UW housing.

I think you are right. I did not expect anything else due to housing design. The stabilization could be a bit better but since you are "subdued" in the water anyway, that's a good thing. I'm a little sad, because I can not test it on this vacation. The stabilization of the Action may come here as well with further fw.
2019-6-27
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

DaMa Posted at 6-27 23:46
I think you are right. I did not expect anything else due to housing design. The stabilization could be a bit better but since you are "subdued" in the water anyway, that's a good thing. I'm a little sad, because I can not test it on this vacation. The stabilization of the Action may come here as well with further fw.

Just ordered the Action a few minutes ago... hope I won’t regret it but I only have one son and I really want to have some footage in the beach with him
2019-6-28
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 6-28 04:35
Just ordered the Action a few minutes ago... hope I won’t regret it but I only have one son and I really want to have some footage in the beach with him

Well, the son will be happy, too. I always had the newest... worked for me ...
2019-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules