Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone use a CPL filter?
1100 10 2019-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have overblown highlight glare on some white objects and I'm thinking if CPL will remove it?  I don't want to use an ND as it's just like lowering EV.  UV pretty much doesn't do anything much but protect the lens.
2019-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

"UV pretty much doesn't do anything much but protect the lens."

Then why do DJI put it there in the first place? They might just as well use plain glass if what you are asking is true.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-29 22:46
"UV pretty much doesn't do anything much but protect the lens."

Then why do DJI put it there in the first place? They might just as well use plain glass if what you are asking is true.

I mean a UV filter on top, to prevent beach sand from going on it.  When I've used a UV on the A7 III it cuts the EV down a bit.
2019-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:15
I mean a UV filter on top, to prevent beach sand from going on it.  When I've used a UV on the A7 III it cuts the EV down a bit.

The solid state sensor in a camera is sensitive to UV and Infra-red light that you cannot see with your own eyes. Virtuallyt all sensors have an IR filter laminated onto the surface of the sensor to save it from damage. Likewise, UV light is also unwanted, hence fitting a UV filter is quite normal. For this reason, DJI build it into the lens system of the camera.
2019-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:15
I mean a UV filter on top, to prevent beach sand from going on it.  When I've used a UV on the A7 III it cuts the EV down a bit.

You can use a CPL but it's not going to fix burnt highlights.
And it's going to be a nuisance to use since you have to bring the drone back and realign it each time you want to shoot in another direction.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-29 23:22
The solid state sensor in a camera is sensitive to UV and Infra-red light that you cannot see with your own eyes. Virtuallyt all sensors have an IR filter laminated onto the surface of the sensor to save it from damage. Likewise, UV light is also unwanted, hence fitting a UV filter is quite normal. For this reason, DJI build it into the lens system of the camera.

Yeah, but they give UV filters for a reason and some said it's for lensing protection in the harsh conditions.  I don't use my equipment in harsh conditions but I did use the Spark in 26mph winds and it works fine.  It's how I developed confidence in upgrading to an M2Z then a P4PV2.0.

Is there any way to fix the burnt out highlights or is the real idea to drop it down to no Zebra then HDR edit in post?
2019-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:25
Yeah, but they give UV filters for a reason and some said it's for lensing protection in the harsh conditions.  I don't use my equipment in harsh conditions but I did use the Spark in 26mph winds and it works fine.  It's how I developed confidence in upgrading to an M2Z then a P4PV2.0.

Is there any way to fix the burnt out highlights or is the real idea to drop it down to no Zebra then HDR edit in post?

"Yeah, but they give UV filters for a reason and some said it's for lensing protection in the harsh conditions."

That view is commonly made by someone who does not have a clue about using filters. But quite often people leave a UV filter on most of the time for additional protection, and DJI are p-robably guilty of that thinking.

"Is there any way to fix the burnt out highlights or is the real idea to drop it down to no Zebra then HDR edit in post?"

The zebra over-exposure mode is primarily there for people who know nothing about how to expose properly and can't be bothered learning. If you are serious, then you use the Histogram. There are good reasons why it is provided, mostly because it is the most accurate guide to good exposure.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-29 23:37
"Yeah, but they give UV filters for a reason and some said it's for lensing protection in the harsh conditions."

That view is commonly made by someone who does not have a clue about using filters. But quite often people leave a UV filter on most of the time for additional protection, and DJI are p-robably guilty of that thinking.

Of course, I don't have much of a clue, but I know it cuts down some exposure zebras and videos show it cutting the "glare" out.  I pretty much compare the results then figure out how come rather than figure out the scientific reasoning formulas, theory or w/e, then real-world results.

I'm trying to figure out how to address the burnt out highlights w/o dimming the rest of the scene at the camera, not in the Lightroom Brush tool section.
2019-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:41
Of course, I don't have much of a clue, but I know it cuts down some exposure zebras and videos show it cutting the "glare" out.  I pretty much compare the results then figure out how come rather than figure out the scientific reasoning formulas, theory or w/e, then real-world results.

I'm trying to figure out how to address the burnt out highlights w/o dimming the rest of the scene at the camera, not in the Lightroom Brush tool section.

The UV filter won't make any difference to your exposure or highlights.
Forget it.
It's there to protect your lens and if you fly the drone, you use it in harsh conditions.
Learn to get your exposure right if you don't want burnt out highlights.
It's not hard and it's no mystery.

2019-6-30
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-30 00:02
The UV filter won't make any difference to your exposure or highlights.
Forget it.
It's there to protect your lens and if you fly the drone, you use it in harsh conditions.

All you need to do is lower the EV until the Zebra lines go away.
2019-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. I hope that you will get the best recommendations and information from out valued DJI co pilots who uses the CPL filter on there DJI Drones. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules