Auto landing question
767 12 2019-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StormMarc
lvl.2
United States

I was flying over a forest today and canceled out of the return to home when battery level was low because I was trying to complete a shot of a train in the distance (I know... my bad )

Anyway... at one point the software decided to auto land at current location due to critical battery level.  Unfortunately I was above a sea of trees and there seemed to be no way to cancel out of the auto landing.  I had zero control over the drone and just watched as it slowly descended into the forest.  Good news is that once it saw the trees a few feet away it stopped and asked me if I wanted to cancel out of auto landing.  I did, regained control and landed with 14 seconds left on the battery

I realize I dodged a bullet and learned a valuable lesson.  Does anyone know if it's possible to cancel out of an auto landing once it begins?  I do not plan on pushing it like that again but would like to know just in case...

Thanks,  Marc

The last moments of auto landing before control was restored:

2019-7-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yikes! I don't think you can do anything but steer the AC when it's entered critical battery level auto land mode. You really lucked out -- has your heart rate retuned to normal, yet? ;)
2019-7-1
Use props
StormMarc
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 7-1 09:01
Yikes! I don't think you can do anything but steer the AC when it's entered critical battery level auto land mode. You really lucked out -- has your heart rate retuned to normal, yet? ;)

Yeah but it took a while.  Counted my lucky stars and decided not to use my third battery today.  I did not seem to have any control over the steering at all.  It was just going straight down.
2019-7-1
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

One lucky individual!
2019-7-1
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I do believe there is nothing you can do. Once the user has ignored the battery warning for too long, the software is programmed to land and avoid it falling out of the sky. Having a 2 pound object falling from the sky is very dangerous, and DJI is trying to avoid being liable. At that final battery level, it's not about preventing damage to the drone, it's about the safety of who may be in the fallout area.
2019-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day StormMarc. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI drone. It is great to know that you got your drone home safe and sound. In addition when the battery level is critically low, the DJI Mavic 2 pro will automatically land, and the operation cannot be canceled. Have a safe flying and thank you for reaching out.
2019-7-1
Use props
StormMarc
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-1 13:00
Hello and good day StormMarc. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. This is not the experience we want you to have with your DJI drone. It is great to know that you got your drone home safe and sound. In addition when the battery level is critically low, the DJI Mavic 2 pro will automatically land, and the operation cannot be canceled. Have a safe flying and thank you for reaching out.

Thanks... I learned my lesson.
2019-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

StormMarc Posted at 7-1 13:18
Thanks... I learned my lesson.

You are very much welcome StormMarc. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-7-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

StormMarc Posted at 7-1 09:14
Yeah but it took a while.  Counted my lucky stars and decided not to use my third battery today.  I did not seem to have any control over the steering at all.  It was just going straight down.

I could be wrong about steering in that emergency mode -- I know you can steer when a forced landing condition occurs with entry into a nofly zone, as I've found myself in the position fo having to quickly find a more suitable landing spot. Anyway, glad you made it back home safe!
2019-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Increase the throttle to maintain altitude whilst you fly the drone back. There is no way to cancel auto landing once the drone hits a critical battery level of 10% - so maintaining altitude manually is your only option and it can be difficult whilst pitching forward simultaneously. The key is obviously to monitor your battery % carefully during flight in order to get the drone back and safely on the ground in front of you well before it hits 10%... Running the batteries down that low will cause damage to the cells over time and seriously shorten the overall life cycle of the battery. Your drone should ideally be on the ground with 15-20% remaining.
2019-7-1
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

you usually can control out of auto landing by pitching the sticks upward..
2019-7-1
Use props
StormMarc
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 7-1 15:12
Increase the throttle to maintain altitude whilst you fly the drone back. There is no way to cancel auto landing once the drone hits a critical battery level of 10% - so maintaining altitude manually is your only option and it can be difficult whilst pitching forward simultaneously. The key is obviously to monitor your battery % carefully during flight in order to get the drone back and safely on the ground in front of you well before it hits 10%... Running the batteries down that low will cause damage to the cells over time and seriously shorten the overall life cycle of the battery. Your drone should ideally be on the ground with 15-20% remaining.

All great info and tips... thank you.
2019-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StormMarc Posted at 7-1 21:06
All great info and tips... thank you.

You're welcome - glad you managed to get it back so could have been worse (we've all done it)
2019-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules