My P3P just fell from the sky without warning!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I bought the drone about a week ago and have had maybe 3 successfull flights - no problems as such  

I kept getting week signal at around 50m so updated the firmware on the P3P and the controller last night and set out this morning for another flight.

7 minutes or so into the flight and about 30ft in the air the drone just litterally fell from the sky totally trashing the gimbal mount, the blades and the shell.
I have managed to salvage the video footage (initially corrupt) and can see that at the same time the drone fell from the sky the video stopped recording - I assume at the same time.
It seems the video and the totall loss of everything happened at the same time.

I'm devastated. I spent loads of money on this and now the aircraft is in taters.

How has this happened?  There are a few things that should be said that would help my investigation and get to the bottom of it.

Nothing flew into the drone.
The blades were all put on securely.
The main aircraft battery and the controller battery were both fully charged.
The signal was strong.
The unit was calibrated pre-flight.
The battery was properly installed.

There were no warning signals prior to the problem.

How can it be that it just fell from the sky? Has this happened to anyone else? Could it have been the firmware update?

Has anyone else has had this happen?
Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out through flight logs what the exact problem was?

Please help if you can!

2019-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DavidRBrown. I am sorry to know what had happened on your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Since this issue is happened I would recommend you contact our DJI support team for further help and assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason why is this happened to the said drone and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.
2019-7-2
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry for your loss. Was P3P new or 2nd hand, if new would still be under warranty.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/     Go to this link, follow directions and come back here to post the link to your log.  The flight log might provide some answers.
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-2 09:25
Hello and good day DavidRBrown. I am sorry to know what had happened on your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Since this issue is happened I would recommend you contact our DJI support team for further help and assistance at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason why is this happened to the said drone and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm really intrigued to find out what the cause was!
2019-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

DavidRBrown Posted at 7-2 09:43
Thanks for your reply.  I'm really intrigued to find out what the cause was!

You are very much welcome DavidRBrown. If you have any other concern or inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you.
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just managed to extract some detail from the flight record and found something interesting.
Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.  I was flying out in the middle of some fields with no electricity pilons and had the van parked about 20 meters away.

2019-7-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Please see post #3
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Missed your post, ever so sorry.  I'll get on it now!
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here is a copy of the flight log!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SH7XOAFJNS1NN00A8PO1/
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

At the point of failure the compass goes haywire, but the strange thing is I'm a mile from anywhere in the middle of fields -just doesnt make sense.
2019-7-2
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DavidRBrown Posted at 7-2 10:43
Here is a copy of the flight log!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SH7XOAFJNS1NN00A8PO1/

In my opinion looks like you lost a motor or prop at 11.37.28. Flight log shows OSD.isNotEnoughForce as True at this time flight ends at 11.37.29. Compass errors generated by tumbling free fall. Sorry again
2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks, I appreciate your input!

Just seems really strange as I transported the drone in its flightcase and put the props on tight myself minutes before the crash.  Those props were on properly I'm 100% sure of that, anyway even if i hadn't I thought they were self tightening.  Is that right?

As it's my first drone I've been super concious to make sure everything is as it should be pre-flight. calibrated, firmware updated, pre-flight checklists, et cetera.

It seems this "Compass Error. Magnetic Filed Interference. Exit P-GPS Mode" problem isn't uncommon and seems to be a known fault, causing sudden death to the drone, litterally like it had been shot down mid flight. I'm totally gutted as I truly beleive this isn't an error on my count -  I'd only got the drone on Friday and it's now Tuesday - total flying time less than 45 minutes. Being so new I double checked everything pre-flight - then Booom :-(

2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Something else I just noticed is that in the time moments before it died, the log suggests it was 80ft + away from me, when it was probably on 10-20ft away.
2019-7-2
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DavidRBrown you might find
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=189654
an interesting read.
I am not suggesting any cause but the info the thread contains is good, or at least I found it to beso
2019-7-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I agree with Pleomax.

Were all four props still installed on the AC when you picked it up?  

Sorry for your loss.
2019-7-2
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DavidRBrown Posted at 7-2 12:04
Something else I just noticed is that in the time moments before it died, the log suggests it was 80ft + away from me, when it was probably on 10-20ft away.

2019-7-2
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

2019-7-2
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
United Kingdom

29.73m = 97.54 feet. What was your point?
2019-7-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 7-2 12:38

2019-7-2
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

DavidRBrown Posted at 7-2 11:01
At the point of failure the compass goes haywire, but the strange thing is I'm a mile from anywhere in the middle of fields -just doesnt make sense.

Just from looking at the Phantom Help site results, I can see that at 4min 45.8sec your aircraft took a sudden tilt to the right and started into a tumble -- we see the airspeed pick up while the altitude decreases.  As such, it only took a couple of seconds to impact with the ground and telemetry stopped.  The tumble, across each axis, would account for a changed orientation to the sky and would explain the number of GPS satellites rapidly changing.  This is physics, not a fault.  The compass going "haywire" is a result of accurate readings during the tumble, not a cause of it.  A compass error is not catastrophic, normal flight can continue successfully if there is a momentary glitch or disturbance.  It usually means there is a disagreement between other positional sensors and the compass sub-system.  DJI software merely returns "compass error" as a generic fault message in this instance instead of pages of incomprehensible data.  These compass errors generally correct themselves moments later unless there is physical damage or a catastrophic event.  The magnetic field interference error only appears when the aircraft has hit the ground.  Again, not the cause of the failure.  Exiting P-GPS occurs when the satellite data is unreliable, the system switches to ATTI to allow you to continue flying manually.  It switches back to GPS mode when GPS signal is reliable once again, generally moments later.  Your low radio signal is probably the result of having the legs (containing the antenna) point away from you when  it was tumbling, providing you with an obstructed transmission.

None of these things is a fault, they may be commonly reported but they have a logical explanation.  They are usually not catastrophic in nature either and don't constitute a "design fault" or similar, as some people like to claim.  The "self-tightening props" just means that by spinning your motors faster than the momentum of the prop blades, they will tend to work their way tighter into the threaded hub.  It does not forgive you if they weren't attached sufficiently tight in the first place, or if the hubs were damaged or worn.  Varying acceleration and braking can overcome a weakly applied prop, and the prop's momentum can slowly work its way off, leading to a lost prop and a crash as you saw.  Not saying that applies in your case (I've not seen any evidence yet), but be aware.  It's important to find out, were all 4 props attached to their motors when the aircraft was recovered?

At this point we don't know what caused your aircraft to flip.  I'll have a look at the full flight record when time permits and see if something jumps out at me.

spreadsheet.png

P.S.  I can see that you were flying very sedately prior to the incident.  There is just a sudden catstrophic failure.  As to the cause, it is anybody's guess.  Usual suspects = birdstrike, loss of prop (improperly tightened/cross-threaded/stripped hub), failure of motor/ESC, physical damage to wiring etc.  Regarding the magnetic anomaly, is there possibly a burried pipe or similar between the plowed field and road or the wire fence?

Also, it would appear your battery was ejected upon impact, which would immediately stop telemetry (as we see) and recording of video.  This is supported by the fact your recording was corrupt.  Inserting the card into the camera and re-powering it up again usually finishes the write properly and repairs the corruption.
2019-7-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

WARRANTY .......
2019-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Warranty .... on a P3 pro?
It's a couple of years too late for that.
2019-7-3
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

thanks guys
2019-7-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 7-2 12:38

2019-7-4
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I really appreciate everyones comments and support on this.  I have managed to replace the camera support mount which which broken on impact, and have had a successfull test flight.
I believe from the guidance above that it was a propella which come off and caused this incident.  As sure as i was that i had properly tightened it i have no other reasobnable explanation.

The video stopped at exactly the same time that the aircraft fell from the sky.  It never captured the falling, infact it stopped recording and didnt show any destabilastion.  It just stopped.  I twould have thought that it would capture an element at leats of falling but sadly not. I'm still unsure of the magnetic field issue.  I had flow the aircraft at this location on several occassions and never had an issue.

On my test flight just now i have full function of the aircraft which is great, and certainly makes me feel a lot better about the situation.
Two faults I come across is the camera not being able to pan left or right to it's full extent.  It moves freely in the hand as normal, without need for force, but not when operating left or right from the controller it's limited to about 10% movement.

Secondly the camera sits in a tilted position after boot up and remains this way there on.

It's clear the camera and gimbal took a whack on landing, but there are no visible signs of damage.  Nothing is broken or bent as such.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.  I value your time and It really is appreciated.
2019-7-4
Use props
DavidRBrown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've just run an auto calibration on the camera/gimbal and the level is now back to what it was.  After a little research I found the pan left and right is normally 5 degrees both ways so again I believe this concern has been resolved.

I'm super happy the aircraft is flying again and not a right off.
Damage:

The 8 wire grey cable had it's pins pulled from the connector. A few of the barbs which keep the cable locked into the connector securely weren't wanting to lock home 100% again.   I have these positioned correctly   and secured  with super glue and hot glue to make a tempory fix untill the new cable arrives. I tested the cable once the glue had dried and it will take some force to pull each or all of the wires out so i'm happy with it as a temporary fix untill a new cable arrives in a few days.

The gimbal mounting bracket was broken.  Has been replaced - a simple, inexpensive fix.

The shell has suffered some cracking to two arms but not detrimental to its operation.  After the crash the shell was busted up a bit or sure, but after loosening all the screws and easing the top and bottom peices back into alignment it snapped back together pretty well.  I have a new shell arriving and super glued the cracks together -  another temporary repair untill a new shell arrives in teh next week or so.

Camera was out of alignment - easily fixed with auto calibration.

I've had a short test flight which consisted of hovering, up down, left right function, and then some camera movements and everything seems to be working correctly without concern.

So in short, I beleieve the problem was a loose propella.  I found out the hard way by having the drone crash, but after some inexpensive fixes its a cheap lesson to learn - it could have been a lot worse had the drone been higher.  

Thanks again for everyones help and guidance.

Case closed!

2019-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules