Landing on Water
1943 18 2019-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LCubed56
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111624 ft
United States

Does anyone know if pontoons are available for the Phantom? I'd like to take some videos traversing some streams in my area, but if the drone should decide to land on the water, I'd like to have a chance to recover the drone from the surface instead of the stream bed.
2019-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

but if the drone should decide to land on the water
Does your drone decide to land unexpectedly when flying on land?
Why would it when over water?

I'd like to have a chance to recover the drone from the surface instead of the stream bed.

That's fine .. if you can crashland it close enough to shore to reach it.
What are the chances?

If it crash lands .. do you know which way it would land?
Would the camera and electronics stay dry?
How much would the pontoons eat your flight time and what does the wind resistance do for your speed and ability to fight wind?

Pontoons are a psychological crutch but aren't effective.
Unless you really need to land and take off from a pond (who does?) they aren't much use.
2019-7-3
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

People have tried with Pool Foam ... Pop Bottles ... in fact you can download Pop Bottle mounts to 3D print for the Phantom ..

But really they may only work if :

1. careful landing intentionally
2. water is near calm
3. substantial size of flotation gear to avoid capsizing !

Most encounters with water are disastrous ... I know ! My P3S never survived it... and that was a fresh water river.
2019-7-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need. However, DJI doesn't recommend installing third-party accessories to our drone as this may affect the performance of the drone. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-7-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I agree with everything above.  I even experimented with it back in my noob days.  The water flotation thing seems interesting but the fact is it's not realistic and causes way more problems than it solves.  Especially when you eventually realize there was never a problem to start with.  
2019-7-4
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

I think that it's not a good idea. A VANT is not so cheap, so better only landing in solid soil rsrs
2019-7-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Everything said above my reply is true and nothing but true. The floats idea was popular among some pioneering Phantom pilots (myself including), but quickly abandoned as impractical. The redundancy of DJI drones reached the point where crash landing on the water will be the result of pilot error more than anything else. In my case it was more of necessity for a particular method of landscape filming, but abandoned quickly as well once I mastered hand catching method.
2019-7-4
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-4 08:24
Everything said above my reply is true and nothing but true. The floats idea was popular among some pioneering Phantom pilots (myself including), but quickly abandoned as impractical. The redundancy of DJI drones reached the point where crash landing on the water will be the result of pilot error more than anything else. In my case it was more of necessity for a particular method of landscape filming, but abandoned quickly as well once I mastered hand catching method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNANdAH-s_8

Very nice setup looks like you put a lot of thought into it. One of the major problems with adding anything to the bottom of the AC is BLOCKING the downward vision system, which is used in calculating altitude.
2019-7-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

ATJ Posted at 7-5 03:24
Very nice setup looks like you put a lot of thought into it. One of the major problems with adding anything to the bottom of the AC is BLOCKING the downward vision system, which is used in calculating altitude.

VPS .... is a close proximity function for assisting with a more steady hover in the P3A / P3P series.

To also assist in precision landing with later models.

Its effectiveness in altitude is limited to close ground. Altitude is determined by Barometer and to lesser degree GPS.

Over water it is often suggested that VPS is better disabled.
2019-7-5
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice set up Matthew.
2019-7-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ATJ Posted at 7-5 03:24
Very nice setup looks like you put a lot of thought into it. One of the major problems with adding anything to the bottom of the AC is BLOCKING the downward vision system, which is used in calculating altitude.

That wasn't actually relevant issue. Crippling the drone and losing it's swiftness was ...
2019-7-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sean-newbie Posted at 7-5 06:07
Nice set up Matthew.

Thank you. The idea evolved later into much better Inspire 1 version, but was also abandoned for the same reason. Flimsy drone performance that is ...

2019-7-5
Use props
LCubed56
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the replies. My question has definitely been answered.
2019-7-10
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-4 08:24
Everything said above my reply is true and nothing but true. The floats idea was popular among some pioneering Phantom pilots (myself including), but quickly abandoned as impractical. The redundancy of DJI drones reached the point where crash landing on the water will be the result of pilot error more than anything else. In my case it was more of necessity for a particular method of landscape filming, but abandoned quickly as well once I mastered hand catching method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNANdAH-s_8

Pretty cool Matthew - is that on the David Thompson Highway in Alberta?

Looks a tad familiar.
2019-7-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

cameracollector Posted at 7-11 14:33
Pretty cool Matthew - is that on the David Thompson Highway in Alberta?

Looks a tad familiar.

Yep, Highway 11 looking West, about 10 km before Saskatchewan Crossing ... Good eyes !!! This pond with spongy bottom was on my photography list for years, but impossible to reach at this angle without a drone ...
2019-7-11
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-11 18:42
Yep, Highway 11 looking West, about 10 km before Saskatchewan Crossing ... Good eyes !!! This pond with spongy bottom was on my photography list for years, but impossible to reach at this angle without a drone ...

I recognized the mountains. When I travel from BC back to AB that's my favourite route back,  up thru Revelstoke-Golden then across up thru Field, LL & Sask crossing.  Usually we go Yellowhead but if we've got time go #1 and cut across to Red Deer then up.

That drive from Sask Crossing to RMH is one of my favourites, we always make a point of stopping at Windy Point on Abraham Lake for a while. Haven't driven through there with any of my quadcopters yet, but plan to one day & get some footage.  
2019-7-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

cameracollector Posted at 7-12 06:57
I recognized the mountains. When I travel from BC back to AB that's my favourite route back,  up thru Revelstoke-Golden then across up thru Field, LL & Sask crossing.  Usually we go Yellowhead but if we've got time go #1 and cut across to Red Deer then up.

That drive from Sask Crossing to RMH is one of my favourites, we always make a point of stopping at Windy Point on Abraham Lake for a while. Haven't driven through there with any of my quadcopters yet, but plan to one day & get some footage.

If you camp, plan to make a day or two stop at https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&a ... SsC_t9UstlwggW49eOm

It's a wonderful place to fly. There's a heliport near Thompson River Resort, be aware.

2019-7-12
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 7-12 09:09
If you camp, plan to make a day or two stop at https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjC6q_R7q_jAhWpg1QKHbRjD-wQFjABegQIAhAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.albertawow.com%2Fcampgrounds%2FTwo_OClock_Creek_Campground%2FTwo_OClock_Creek_Campground.htm&usg=AOvVaw0fnSsC_t9UstlwggW49eOm

It's a wonderful place to fly. There's a heliport near Thompson River Resort, be aware.

Thanks - will do.  We camped overnight one night at Windy Point, backed our RV (Travel Trailer) up to the high spot, it was quite nice. I found your pond on google maps, will also have to stop and check that out one day.

My boys tell me of a spot they hike in to go fishing sometimes, I forget where it is or what it's called, but there's a real nice waterfall they say would be great for some aerial shots.  
2019-7-15
Use props
LCubed56
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-3 06:03
but if the drone should decide to land on the water
Does your drone decide to land unexpectedly when flying on land?
Why would it when over water?

After doing a few "over water" runs, I see your points. Really no need for pontoons.
2019-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules