Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Talking this over with my friends, what is your opinion?
994 12 2019-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Canes76
First Officer
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

My friends I were discussing a few topics as it relates to flying...

For me, I cannot just go out to a field and fly, I need a subject or a location.  Also, if I have been to the location twice, I am hesitant to go back, because seen that, did that theory.

So wanted to ask you all here:

Do you just go out to fly without worring about photography or videography?
Do you go to fly with a specific mission in mind?
Don't care, along as the bird is in the air!

Like to hear some responses
2019-7-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I fly as much as possible - I choose my locations carefully but I rarely plan the actual flight route - like to keep things fairly spontaneous as it is usually the unexpected that make the best captures.
2019-7-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best suggestions and recommendation from our valued DJI co-pilots here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I usually have something specific in mind to shoot, but when I started out I would just go fly anywhere in order to learn how the system worked, check out  the features, become comfortable, etc.

I might fly more for fun if I had a drone that could do acrobatics, but I bought the Mavic primarily for photography/video.

2019-7-3
Use props
JohnDG
Captain
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

well, actually I'm not a just-go-and-fly-pilot. My hobby is photography. I bought a drone to capture the landscape scenes I want, not the other way arround. That means I select the location, check if I can fly over there and get the bird into the sky.
The drone gives my a total different perspective than when taken a picture from ground level. I consider the drone as my "flying" camera.
2019-7-3
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I treat mine as a giant flying camera tripod.
So generally i'll do a general area flight to get the layout, maybe take a few photos but mainly use it to work out where the best photo subjects are for another flight.  Then i'll do a proper flight with the correct polariser (or not) at the correct time of day for light/shadow and get the photos.
Sometimes i;ll come back to a location at different times of day or for better light quality, sometimes not.
If im doing video ill land, swap filters and do a specific video flight.  The result is i usually do 2 flights in each location, a photo and a video.

I dont just fly around for no real reason - once ive seen somewhere once from that angle the novelty wears off.  Although i do use it for things like seeing the progress of building work, unusual objects in the distance seen from the ground and so on.
2019-7-8
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great question, with my first drone, a Spark, I flew as often as possible to get experience and to try at least to learn some of the camera / gimbal / drone moves when filming.
Now with my Air, I'm usually much more selective about when and where I film...I've planned two overnight stays to catch the early morning / late evening light at the golden hours (one was a 500 mile round trip) and those have both been the most satisfying flights and photos that I am best pleased with.
Ifg I've not flown for a while, and am planning a road trip, then I will take my Air to the local field to fly / blast around in, just to check that there are no required updates etc as there have been two occasions when I've been fighting the fading light and had a "fly safe update" or other updates required.
2019-7-8
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

Originally, when I first invested in my mavic I didn't  really care what I was shooting or where (within the rules ofc). Now after doing a reasonable amount of flying I'm getting more into the photography/cinematography side of things and try and avoid visiting the same place over and over again as I want to see something new and capture something different. Still though with Sydney being a pain to fly in more and more I sometimes don't bother about what I'm shooting and will just go have some fun and fly it around whilst playing around with different flight modes and settings.

Should've done a poll though for this thread, would've been interesting.
2019-7-8
Use props
Ridg
First Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I generally go out to shoot however blasting round a field in sport mode is actually a really good laugh
2019-7-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I first started I didn't care as long as the drone was in the air. Now I like to go and scout
places first and while scouting think about what I want to shoot. I try not to visit the same place but its difficult at times not to.
I have a favorite place to fly and this a place I go after updates and to test new features or after Calibrations.
2019-7-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I usually narrow down my choices to 2 possible locations, then I factor in weather, time to get there, etc.  Though when I wake up (I have only flown early in the morning on weekends or holidays), I decide where I'm going to fly.
2019-7-8
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Ultimately, I like to shoot videos and pictures of family and friends. I like to shoot some scenery as well, but for the most part it's about finding ways to use the technology to have fun in any way possible
2019-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

I fly 2 places regularly but mainly to practice or try out new ideas and then I like to visit a place just once to use those skills.
2019-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules