Looking for some opinions about photogrammetry
1251 4 2019-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sebastien83
lvl.3

Japan

Hi everyone,
I flew my drone ( Matrice M200 with a zenmuse X5S) last week over trees at 75 m high with a 85% overlap and 80% sidelap, I planned the mission with DJI GS pro 2. The area is about 30ha (70.5 acres).   
I took 1989 pictures.
Do you think I took too many pictures and I should fly higher or lower my overlap and sidelap ?
The processing is very long. It takes usually a 24hours but this time it has been taking 3 days and It s still in progress.
Thank you

2019-7-3
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

2K images can take some time to process. You may want to break into smaller blocks and process separately, or process in cloud if your rig isn't up to it and you have the option. You'll wait a few hours for the upload, but processing times are often faster on the big iron than most people's personal workstations.

What photogrammetry software are you using?
What are your workstation specs?

You've got plenty of overlap for sure. You can get good results with 75% frontal and 60% side lap minimum if the images are good and there are plenty of features to match. I like to oversample as well, but if costs or processing limits are prohibitive, then it makes sense to scale back.
2019-7-4
Use props
Sebastien83
lvl.3

Japan

patiam Posted at 7-4 07:34
2K images can take some time to process. You may want to break into smaller blocks and process separately, or process in cloud if your rig isn't up to it and you have the option. You'll wait a few hours for the upload, but processing times are often faster on the big iron than most people's personal workstations.

Thanks for your advice.
My workstation specs are not strong, I asked my company to invest in memory bar but ...

One process is gone and it took almost a week, the other should be done in few hours.
Usually, I flight over dense forests in Japan. This time I flew over forest and small lakes that increased the processing time.

I use Drone2map from ESRI. They use the same algorithm than Pix4D.
2019-7-4
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

While they are both based on the same engine, you might find the full version of Pix4D has more functionality than D2M, including cloud processing, which is great in situations like this when it takes a very long time to process locally.

Water can be problematic for photogrammetry.

Where in Japan are you mapping? I have family in Shimane ken.
2019-7-5
Use props
Sebastien83
lvl.3

Japan

patiam Posted at 7-5 08:49
While they are both based on the same engine, you might find the full version of Pix4D has more functionality than D2M, including cloud processing, which is great in situations like this when it takes a very long time to process locally.

Water can be problematic for photogrammetry.

Yes, both use the same engine. ESRI updated Drone2map which has now many new functions.
I m mapping countrywide but I live in Kyushu in Oita prefecture.
I knew water, sand, snow can be problematic but I didn t expect it could take so much time.
Thanks for your advices.
2019-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules