Do the pgytech filters or Ulanzi lens scratch the pocket lens?.
1300 9 2019-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Packraticus
lvl.1
United States

I'm weighing my options on purchases to give me flexibility with the pocket's optics. Having read a very knowlegeable posting by a forum member here, I noticed that Polar Pro were the only manufacturer that put a protective coating on the lens fixture part of their ND filters. I was wondering if those of you who have the PGYTECH ND filters or the ULANZI wide angle lens for the pocket can share whether those accessories are similarly safe?
2019-7-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback that you may need in regard to using this third-party accessory. Please be careful about using third-party accessory as this may affect your unit. Thank you for your support.
2019-7-4
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Only Polarpro filters have a rubber coating on the inside to avoid scratching the lens cover... you have been warned ;)
2019-7-6
Use props
Packraticus
lvl.1
United States

El. I want to thank you for shooting straight with this issue. I've read your other posts on the topic and am convinced.
2019-7-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Packraticus Posted at 7-7 16:36
El. I want to thank you for shooting straight with this issue. I've read your other posts on the topic and am convinced.

Even with a rubber coating, they use magnets and as such could pick up small amounts of ferrous material that would cling to the rubber surface so should be checked before mounting to a lens. Anything coming in to contact with a lens element should be done with care. Having said that, the magnets are at a position on the lens element that should not be in view of the recorded image, so if care is taken mounting a  filter, then scratches should only occur outside of the field of view of the sensor. I have used both Freewell and SkyReat filters for a while now with no signs of front lens element scratches. My main concern is with fingerprints and dust with handling more than scratches.
2019-7-8
Use props
Packraticus
lvl.1
United States

I appreciate that information as well, Ray. I will clean religiously between using and changing the filters. But I am sold on polar pro's rubber coating.
2019-7-8
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

Too bad they don't make a standard non-tinted UV filter with rubber backing
2019-7-8
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Packraticus Posted at 7-7 16:36
El. I want to thank you for shooting straight with this issue. I've read your other posts on the topic and am convinced.

You’re welcome, I found out the hard way ;)
Ps. Don’t leave the filters on when storing the Osmo on its case as many folks suggest. As it lays face down, any small dust particle will be pressed / rubbed against the coating. Also be sure to blow some air on the case from time to time.
2019-7-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Packraticus Posted at 7-8 11:58
I appreciate that information as well, Ray. I will clean religiously between using and changing the filters. But I am sold on polar pro's rubber coating.

I wasn't advocating any particular brand over another as I have little experience with any of the current suppliers of filters for the Osmo Pocket. Your choice is as valid as anyone's. I was just pointing out that care needs to be taken whatever choice is made. Caring for a product is always made worse with miniaturization. Handy as small products are for weight saving and portability they tend to become harder to keep in good condition due to their lack of scale making things like the connection of extras less secure and more vulnerable to accidental damage and loss of parts. I'm sure you will be happy with your purchases.   
2019-7-9
Use props
Packraticus
lvl.1
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-9 14:06
I wasn't advocating any particular brand over another as I have little experience with any of the current suppliers of filters for the Osmo Pocket. Your choice is as valid as anyone's. I was just pointing out that care needs to be taken whatever choice is made. Caring for a product is always made worse with miniaturization. Handy as small products are for weight saving and portability they tend to become harder to keep in good condition due to their lack of scale making things like the connection of extras less secure and more vulnerable to accidental damage and loss of parts. I'm sure you will be happy with your purchases.

I really appreciate the advice. I just got the camera and am very thankful to learn all I can from more seasoned shooters. Thanks again!
2019-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules