strange battery - dead - then back to life?
674 8 2019-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

so... have a bit of a conundrum.

had 1 battery purchased about a year ago - when I went to use it - it was totally dead - but unfortunately outside of the warranty. Just kept it on my shelf. Had tried charging it a couple times, never worked.

Had another battery that worked - was a spare - so just periodically charged it.

Went to charge my batteries (maitenance) - and just realized "BOTH" now work. Unfortunatley - I don't know which one was the "dead" battery from before (can't remember if I had put it in a box, or put it aside never to be used again)...

so now my concern is - if I fly with a battery that was "dead" - but now seems back to life - could it just "die" in the air, because it was "dead" before? so now I am a bit afraid to use EITHER battery - not knowing which one was the "bad" one from before...

any suggestions in figuring this out?

Thanks!

2019-7-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Look for swelling.  

Look at the cell balance.  

Look at the mAh.  

Good luck
2019-7-4
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 7-4 10:11
Look for swelling.  

Look at the cell balance.  

never used either, so all those stats seem to be the same (including no swelling)... any other suggestions? thanks!
2019-7-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Fly each battery at a hover at a height of a few feet AGL and see if behaves normally all the way down to a low percentage of battery. Then study the battery log afterwards for issues.  

Good luck
2019-7-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Run them both down to about 6% then let cool and recharge.
2019-7-4
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

First move - get a texta & mark one of them "1" and put whatever you like on the second one !!
2019-7-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

Have to agree ... my packs are numbered.

And as another says ... test both batterys for flight time ... with close in flight so you are safe to land out. I don't think any need to run down low as 6% or ... but maybe be an idea to run down to critical and it land - so you get a good idea of flight time ... cell behaviour etc.
Even if you don't use the flight log ... simply reading the cells via GO before and after flight will tell you if any cell is 'iffy' ...
2019-7-5
Use props
Cradoka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2530794 ft
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 7-5 00:29
First move - get a texta & mark one of them "1" and put whatever you like on the second one !!

...or in my case 4 and 5 hehe
2019-7-6
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Cradoka Posted at 7-6 22:18
...or in my case 4 and 5 hehe

Oh,  you count higher than me !   
2019-7-7
Use props