A big thank you to David Harry
662 8 2019-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I would just like to say thank you to David Harry for his efforts and advice on this forum.

Because of his knowledge and experience, I have now got better-looking videos coming out of YouTube despite my hardware not allowing me to edit video beyond 1080p by giving advice that guided me to look at my own Video Editing setup and understanding the export settings better.

Also, I eventually took the plunge and ordered the Clippy 172 microphone capsules which arrived yesterday.  I've just temporarily soldered them to a mini-jack to see if they work while I await other parts to arrive to finish off the mic I intend to build.

It's no wonder some other mics are not working with the Osmo Pocket audio adapter.

Volume wise, these capsules are blowing my Rhode mics out of the water. On the Nikon D500, I plugged my makeshift soldered setup into the camera and immediately had a problem.
On auto level, the output from the capsules overloaded the D500's audio input. I had to switch to manual and take the level down three quarters off maximum before they didn't overload the mic input with me talking normally (I'm a lot quieter spoken than David ) a few inches from the mic capsules. The result though so far is really clean and low noise.  I will try putting up some videos at a later date.

If anyone is thinking about building their own microphone, these capsules are very good audio wise. Do be aware though that you need to use them with a powered microphone input.

I haven't yet tried them with the Osmo Pocket as I am designing and making my own microphone body out of old bits and pieces lying around the house.
I'm also playing around with homemade windshields but more of both topics to come later.

So, once again David. Thanks for your contributions to the forums here.

2019-7-5
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Great to hear, though, can we get some pictures?
2019-7-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 7-5 02:43
Great to hear, though, can we get some pictures?

There will be pictures and a video when the other parts of the build arrive which may be a week away. It's one thing to play around in my house but another to go out and try it outside. I want to build a general use microphone so it will be stereo so I can also use it with my D500 if needed. I'm also trying to keep it as small as possible and reduce handling and wind noise. I could end up doing a series of videos showing if I manage to get an improved microphone or not. So far, the capsules, a matched pair, have cost me £35:46.  
I found an old LED torch in a draw that had stopped working made of aluminium that I intend to use a body for the mic but I'm awaiting mini-jack sockets and plugs plus a few alternatives if the torch body doesn't work out.

[Edit]

Image of rough solder to an old lead of the 172 mic capsules to try out.

_RSF6149V2.jpg
2019-7-5
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-5 03:06
There will be pictures and a video when the other parts of the build arrive which may be a week away. It's one thing to play around in my house but another to go out and try it outside. I want to build a general use microphone so it will be stereo so I can also use it with my D500 if needed. I'm also trying to keep it as small as possible and reduce handling and wind noise. I could end up doing a series of videos showing if I manage to get an improved microphone or not. So far, the capsules, a matched pair, have cost me £35:46.  
I found an old LED torch in a draw that had stopped working made of aluminium that I intend to use a body for the mic but I'm awaiting mini-jack sockets and plugs plus a few alternatives if the torch body doesn't work out.

Okay, looking forward to it!
2019-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here Here !!!!
2019-7-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience with David Harry's advice. We're glad to know that everybody is sharing their own ideas and techniques from one another. So wonderful. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good to hear!
2019-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good to hear!
2019-7-5
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I also learn from Dave a ton about audio and mic.
Some day I might record voice instead of subtitle.

2019-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules