Low contrast areas update every 8th frame?
494 0 2019-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
danmckinney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29196 ft
United States

OK, so some of you are very familiar with this issue while some seem to be completely in the dark.  I've got a few questions directed toward those who know a thing or two, and maybe this thread can clarify things for the rest of us.

The issue is, as has been explained to me, that low contrast areas are only updated every eighth frame, so certain large low-contrast areas, like a cloud passing over landscape, will appear to move in jerks while the movement of the landscape itself is smooth. It's a data compression thing! And looks really terrible.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-191949-1-1.html

I was advised to use an ISO setting of 100, set my frame rate to 30 and my shutter speed to 1/60, and use a filter on the camera lens to compensate for the greater amount of light this setting delivers to the sensor. OK, done, but this raises a couple of questions, though...

1) Why would this make a difference? The low-contrast areas would still only be updated every 8th frame - how would making the shutter speed twice the frame affect this issue whatsoever?

2) Does this still appear in the improved H265 codec for the Mavic 2?

Now that it's been explained to me, I can see this 8th frame jerk in footage where it's not so obvious - or at least I think I can. There seems to be a sort of constant stutter/jerk to underlying elements in the picture, and I'm guessing that's the element of the frame that's only being updated every 8th frame...?

If I am not understanding the issue correctly, please let me know!

if the issue isn't present in the H265, it's worth it for me to upgrade to the Mavic 2, and just keep the Mavic Pro around for stills (and as a backup for that dreaded day when my drone refuses to come back to roost).
2019-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules