600ft in FCC Mode - Looking for guidance
616 4 2019-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EwanRGR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10108 ft
United States

Per the title, if I launch from my house I can get maybe 600 ft away using Channel 10 on 2.4 ghz. Went to a park this weekend, and again today, and got closer to 1100 ft, but then got the message that the Video was lost and plane disconnected. RTH started it back in both cases, and I was able to land safely. Did not let it land RTH since it seemed to be somewhat off the mark in both cases.

I've seen plenty of YouTube videos that made me think that especially with the addition of the parabolic wifi extenders (which I was trying out this evening to no discernible impact) that I should be able to get three times that distance without a stretch.

Means I keep getting footage of me approaching interesting stuff (waterfalls, quarry, etc), but can't ever get to where I want to be :-(

So, guess I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much in terms of range for a DJI Spark as my number 1 question, and number 2 if I'm having that much interference (I presume?) would getting a Mavic or a Phantom make any real difference?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2019-7-5
Use props
EwanRGR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10108 ft
United States

Went to a different park this morning, and this time flew away from town rather than toward town. Managed to get to 1730 feet before the mosquitos started bothering me (which is why I don't usually go to this park).

So definitely an issue with interference I guess. This was done using the 5.8 Ghz mode, and with a Galaxy S8+ using WiFi. Still curious if the Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 use something else to avoid the interference, or if I'm going to have similar distance restrictions. Suspect I won't be buying either until the ADS-B support is announced, but would like to know just in case I get an early bonus :-)
2019-7-6
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

EwanRGR Posted at 7-6 06:52
Went to a different park this morning, and this time flew away from town rather than toward town. Managed to get to 1730 feet before the mosquitos started bothering me (which is why I don't usually go to this park).

So definitely an issue with interference I guess. This was done using the 5.8 Ghz mode, and with a Galaxy S8+ using WiFi. Still curious if the Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 use something else to avoid the interference, or if I'm going to have similar distance restrictions. Suspect I won't be buying either until the ADS-B support is announced, but would like to know just in case I get an early bonus :-)

Get an OTG cable, first.
That  has the advantage, that bird and RC can change the band midair!
2019-7-6
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Agree with S-e-ven, with an OTG cable 2500 feet or more should be still ok.
2019-7-6
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

OTG helps with a number of things. Don't fly without one.

Parabolic reflectors make your transmitter directional. If the antennae and reflectors are pointing toward the drone, they'll reach farther than without. If they are not pointed toward the drone, they'll kill the range.

Sounds like interference is your biggest problem besides mosquitos. Get yourself some of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel ... DEET-15-ct/16561278 DEET is effective on all sorts of nasties besides mosquitoes. I'm rather "sensory" and hate the spray cans, but can deal with the wipes.
2019-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules