Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo Action vs GoPro 7 Black/STABILIZATION
1365 9 2019-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

One of 3 episodes focused exclusively on Stabilization in which we compare 2 different action camera platforms; the benchmark stalwart GoPro 7 vs the new kid on the block, the first generation DJI Osmo Action.  Specifically, in this test, we'll encounter quite a few hard abrupt and violent impacts.  You be the judge and kindly leave your comments and questions below.

2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day geoffz. Thank you for sharing this video with us today and thank you for your valued support.
2019-7-9
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-9 10:29
Hello and good day geoffz. Thank you for sharing this video with us today and thank you for your valued support.

Thanks Stephen for your appreciation and support!  

Stay Tuned for more...
2019-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

geoffz Posted at 7-9 11:21
Thanks Stephen for your appreciation and support!  

Stay Tuned for more...

You are very much welcome geoffz. I will definitely wait for those post in the near future. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-7-9
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Please test this at room temperature side by side, 4K/ 60 + rocksteady / hypershmooth and see which camera to thermal shut down first.

Some claim DJI OA thermal shut down and its garbage, i say other similar expensive action cameras, and even camcorders do the same.
but i would like to know which one last the longest before thermal protection kick in.

I would assume the GP 7 would last a little longer as it have a lower bitrate, but maybe if it did H.265 to compensate.
2019-7-10
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

peiter Posted at 7-10 09:43
Please test this at room temperature side by side, 4K/ 60 + rocksteady / hypershmooth and see which camera to thermal shut down first.

Some claim DJI OA thermal shut down and its garbage, i say other similar expensive action cameras, and even camcorders do the same.

Interesting...

I have not heard about this thermal "shut-down".

We were shooting on relatively hot days (32C) and did not encounter any problems.

However, I do know the GoPro records H265 whereas the DJI Osmo Action (H264), the latter is about 25% more data hungry!
2019-7-10
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Seem like thermal shutdown happen with lengthy recordings around 20 minutes or so, i had this happen myself filming a approaching thunderstorm with the camera in my window sill, but i did not take note at the time back then.
In general it are not a problem for me as i only record for a few minutes at the time.
I think thermal have been a problem for the gopro cameras for a while, at least i seem to recall something along those lines,,,, i have not owned a gopro since the first one that had 2 AAA batteries to power it.
2019-7-10
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I have to say I am not impressed by the picture quality of the Osmo the Gopro looks far better
2019-7-11
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 7-11 10:59
I have to say I am not impressed by the picture quality of the Osmo the Gopro looks far better

The action stabilisation looks better but unfortunately I agree in this particular test the action picture quality is not good. For some reason it looks significantly more compressed.  

Of the many ! comparison video's out there, with regards to picture quality they've been pretty close - any idea's what's going on here ?
2019-7-11
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MKosmo Posted at 7-11 12:01
The action stabilisation looks better but unfortunately I agree in this particular test the action picture quality is not good. For some reason it looks significantly more compressed.  

Of the many ! comparison video's out there, with regards to picture quality they've been pretty close - any idea's what's going on here ?

Good question.

Perhaps the Youtube  wasn't as kind to the OA?

But as you remark, I too have seen better image quality.
The other thing is this particular test was not focused on image quality rather the main thrust was 'stabilization' with a mountain bike.

To my mind, there were already many many reviews that spoke to the camera image quality.
2019-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules