Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1033222 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi
I got a new mavic 2 pro and at first could only get through 2 batteries on one full controller charge. After that I had to charge the controller.
After a few charge cycles I now had the controller at 100% and flew one battery down to 30% with 74% left on the controller. Much better than at first but is this now a normal discharge rate for one battery. So I should easily get through 3 batteries on one controller charge?
Thanks
2019-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I arrive at my location with a 100% charged standard RC with my Mavic 2 Pro using my iPhone XS and do not set the RC to charge the phone during flight I will leave the field with around a 65% charge remaining on the RC after three full battery back-to-back flights lasting well over an hour in the air. It sounds like you have a faulty remote and I would look to return it or your device is draining the remote too heavily.
2019-7-9
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately I have an android phone Galaxy S8plus so I cant turn off the charge function. With this in mind would it be normal then?
2019-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dublinphantom Posted at 7-9 23:44
Unfortunately I have an android phone Galaxy S8plus so I cant turn off the charge function. With this in mind would it be normal then?

I never use Android but when I set the RC to charge my iPhone in flight the phone comes back with the same charge as when I arrived but the RC is around 40%. It sounds like your phone is taking a lot of juice out of the RC so perhaps it may not be the RC at fault then. Other than using an iPhone just be mindful of that and always fully recharge your remote before heading out. Get a power bank adaptor to top up the RC charge in the field too.
2019-7-9
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-9 23:49
I never use Android but when I set the RC to charge my iPhone in flight the phone comes back with the same charge as when I arrived but the RC is around 40%. It sounds like your phone is taking a lot of juice out of the RC so perhaps it may not be the RC at fault then. Other than using an iPhone just be mindful of that and always fully recharge your remote before heading out. Get a power bank adaptor to top up the RC charge in the field too.

Yeah it seems it may be the phone. Its a bigger than normal phone being the 8plus and I generally keep the screen bright during flights so that will also drain it. I could test it with no phone at all and just hover nearby and see how it goes. But with the phone draining it, 74% after one battery I presume is somewhat normal then?
2019-7-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dublinphantom Posted at 7-9 23:54
Yeah it seems it may be the phone. Its a bigger than normal phone being the 8plus and I generally keep the screen bright during flights so that will also drain it. I could test it with no phone at all and just hover nearby and see how it goes. But with the phone draining it, 74% after one battery I presume is somewhat normal then?

74% remaining after one battery with the RC charging a large smartphone still sounds like a heavy drain. It may improve as the RC goes through a few more charge cycles so monitor it but note that the warranty on the RC alone is 6 months and not 12 (like the drone) - so if it gets worse ship it back and get a free replacement. These RC are around £300-400 to replace!
2019-7-9
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

True. Well after a month it cant get any better if a few more cycle is to improve it. I'm bringing it to spain in a few weeks where I will fly it a lot so I'll judge it after that.

Thanks for the advice
2019-7-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dublinphantom Posted at 7-10 00:01
True. Well after a month it cant get any better if a few more cycle is to improve it. I'm bringing it to spain in a few weeks where I will fly it a lot so I'll judge it after that.

Thanks for the advice

You're welcome and good luck with it. Try a friends iPhone and see if it's the same.
2019-7-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Dublinphantom Posted at 7-9 23:44

Just try to make sure your phone is fully charged before flying, buy you some time...
And try airplane mode on your device, it reduces the drain on the device battery (bt/wifi/data/location services etc.)

2019-7-10
Use props
offtheback
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13086942 ft
United States

I connect the phone or ipad through bottom jack on controller.Have an external battery(phone charge type)plugged into side port.Can fly 10+batteries easily.
2021-9-24
Use props
djiuser_pmEgGmk3PBqG
lvl.1

United Kingdom

You turn the charging off on the remote, not the phone.   
2022-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules