9401 36 2019-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Aerial videographers are always looking for ways to improve their shots, and performing an orbit is a relatively simple way to do exactly that. This powerful cinematic effect can quickly push your cinematography from beginner-level to advanced.
Shot on Mavic Air

What is an Orbit?
As you might guess from the name, an orbit is a circling motion around a point of interest.

To achieve this shot, the camera moves around a subject while shooting, keeping the subject in the same position within the frame as the background changes. This is a great way to highlight any subject, as the dynamic movement between the subject and the background creates a strong sense of the spacing and environment.
Shot on Mavic 2 Pro

While a standard orbit is relatively straightforward, users can get quite creative by adding additional movements and features. For example, they can zoom in or move forward or backward while rotating around the subject, creating a fade-in or fade-out effect.
Shot on Mavic 2 ©Shirley.Films

In aerial videography, you can lock the gimbal on your subject and descend or ascend during an orbit to create a greater sense of depth by changing shooting angles.
Shot on Inspire 2 ©牧七

Shot on Ronin-S and Lumix GH5

However, an orbit shot isn’t only for drones. You can also use handheld stabilizers (for example, Osmo Pocket or Ronin-S) and walk around your subject to achieve this shot. Try tilting the camera upwards to create a unique and cinematic angle.

Orbit Skills
What are the mechanics behind the motion of an orbit?

Let’s say you want to use a drone to orbit around a subject. First, move the right control stick to the right, and the drone will fly to the right. While the drone is circling, move the left control stick in the opposite direction to turn the drone’s camera to the left. (By the way, we’re assuming here that you are using Mode 2 and you want to film your orbit in a counterclockwise direction.) This is the essential motion of an orbit.

However, this movement is not quite as easy as it sounds. The distance between the drone and the subject, the size of the subject, or even the drone’s flight speed are all factors that can increase the difficulty level. You’ll have to constantly adjust both control sticks to keep shooting as smoothly as possible.

Holding the control stick with two fingers is suggested for movements like an orbit that require a high level of precision.

To truly master shooting an orbit, you have to practice and learn some savvy skills. We recommend beginners use two fingers to hold each control stick (as shown above), which provides the extra precision required for this maneuver.

Users can adjust control stick sensitivity in the DJI GO 4 app.

One more skill is to slow down the control stick responsiveness in DJI GO 4. Open the app, go to MC SettingsAdvanced SettingsEXP, and decrease the value of Rotate Right by 0.1-0.15. As a result, the control sticks will be less sensitive, resulting in less sudden or jerky movements during flight.

Is There an Easier Way to Orbit?
A manual orbit is indeed a bit difficult, but we have great news: there’s a much easier way to do it!

Simple select Orbit from the intelligent flight modes available in the DJI GO 4 app.
The available QuickShots for Mavic 2 Pro includes Orbit.

Open the DJI GO 4 app, tap QuickShots, and you can choose Circle, Helix, Boomerang or any other mode you want. Tap the subject to lock on, and you’re ready to shoot a cinematic clip.
Use ActiveTrack on the Mavic 2 Pro to perform Orbit

If you think QuickShots are too restrictive, or you want to get more creative with your orbit, try using ActiveTrack. Tap to choose your subject, wait for the camera to lock on, set a circling speed, and then the drone will follow your command and start orbiting at the preset speed.

During Orbit, you can still control the drone to have it fly upward, downward, closer, or farther away from your subject, giving your video a dynamic and unbelievable perspective.
You can also use ActiveTrack with Osmo Pocket to perform an orbit.

Osmo Pocket also features the ActiveTrack function, which comes in handy when filming an orbit on the ground.

Safety Reminders
Safety tips for users performing an orbit manually or automatically:

When the drone is circling, obstacles in front cannot be directly seen on the screen. Therefore, users must check the surrounding environment carefully before flight, and choose to perform this maneuver in an open space.

You must always make sure not to fly over people who aren’t involved in the creation of your video.

You must always stay in control of your drone. Even when your drone is flying an automated flight path, keep your hands on the controller and know how to stop the pattern and descend if an airplane or helicopter approaches.

You must always keep your drone in sight at all times, so you can see any approaching obstacles and take action to avoid them.

If you are using handheld gimbals, always pay attention to your movements as you circle your subject and be careful not to trip.

Always remember, safety is the top priority when performing an orbit. These precautions are required by law in some places, and they’re common sense everywhere. Fly safe and have fun!

The content origins from DJI BUYINGGUIDES
2019-7-12
Use props
Corkyboy14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294114 ft
Saint Helena

Great stuff, i always forgot about shots like these!
2019-7-12
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

It's not so easy on Spark though
2019-7-12
Use props
kaitokid535
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339770 ft
Philippines

Good tip! Been practicing this kind of shot for a while now, I agree that the Point of Interest feature still allows you to descend/ascend or forward/backward the drone when it's circling around which is an easy way to do but I'm also practicing to do it manually which more fulfilling to me.

Thanks for posting this guide
2019-7-12
Use props
Juliano Cruz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4158868 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Great text and tips! Thanks to share it!!!
2019-7-12
Use props
Toedles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Thanks for sharing.....
2019-7-12
Use props
Malibu Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143898 ft
United States

Thanks for the tip.  Very helpful.
2019-7-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing the information
2019-7-12
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

Thanks for posting this guide!
2019-7-13
Use props
ParideM
Captain
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Is one of my favorite functions. I love using it when I reach really beautiful points of interest
2019-7-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good info!
2019-7-13
Use props
escore
Second Officer
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Good post about it! Thanks for writing!
2019-7-14
Use props
photokirk
lvl.2

India

Pretty useful Tip, TFS
2019-7-14
Use props
allyssongemelli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

Cool Panda, nice tips!
2019-7-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant tutorial
2019-7-16
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Manual circling is the quickest way to do this but as it has been said practice and practice. You can do that in both ways.
But - that's important! -the distance between the drone and the object can vary pretty much, so beware of sourroundings.
Manualy you can't do a perfect circle. More likely it will be an elipse. So do this in an open area or high enough.   
2019-7-17
Use props
uurcyln
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2114058 ft
Hungary

thnx for the tip
2019-7-17
Use props
samshah
New

United States

i will try today, it's good
2019-7-18
Use props
daffy13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2340295 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Nice guide! I have a question. With the 3 axis gimbal rotating the drone will be smoother right?
2019-7-19
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great info
2019-7-21
Use props
djiuser_rf5R9nbztoDL
lvl.1

United States

Good article to read.
2019-7-21
Use props
djiuser_Sv6kPECDbrWm
New

Australia

Hello all maybe someone can help me, I had a SJRC s70w and it would automatically put a black spot over the sun while video recording making for a clear 360 degree video I have now upgraded to a DJI Phantom 4 advanced but when  doing a 360 degree video it does not block the sun ending in a massive amount of glare how can I stop this happening. Mark
2019-7-22
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

Great article! Thanks for sharing
2019-7-28
Use props
djiuser_rf5R9nbztoDL
lvl.1

United States

Great info and shots. Thanks for sharing.
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Corkyboy14 Posted at 7-12 02:59
Great stuff, i always forgot about shots like these!

Maybe you can try in next time.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

kaitokid535 Posted at 7-12 08:17
Good tip! Been practicing this kind of shot for a while now, I agree that the Point of Interest feature still allows you to descend/ascend or forward/backward the drone when it's circling around which is an easy way to do but I'm also practicing to do it manually which more fulfilling to me.

You are welcome!
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Juliano Cruz Posted at 7-12 11:35
Great text and tips! Thanks to share it!!!

2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

ParideM Posted at 7-13 05:12
Is one of my favorite functions. I love using it when I reach really beautiful points of interest

Yeah, that's really useful.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

You are welcome allyssongemelli
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

andy10 Posted at 7-17 01:40
Manual circling is the quickest way to do this but as it has been said practice and practice. You can do that in both ways.
But - that's important! -the distance between the drone and the object can vary pretty much, so beware of sourroundings.
Manualy you can't do a perfect circle. More likely it will be an elipse. So do this in an open area or high enough.

Nice additional tips. Thanks, andy.
2019-7-30
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Cool stufff!
2019-8-5
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

I need to try orbit shots now!
2019-8-5
Use props
djiuser_Obz7EJYMI9lj
lvl.1

Norway

Great video
2019-8-5
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Croatia

kaitokid535 Posted at 7-12 08:17

Try doing this with a car or longer rectangle, like a van. Being close up and not a true circle or elipse, means speeding up the turn at the corners, so the camera is pointing directly to the subject.
I found this technique most valuable with a sailing ship which is a long, thin shape.
https://youtu.be/rEp81qKrBmE
When i took this, i hadn't  mastered the technique and the drone was new, far out to sea. I admit, it isn't a masterpiece, but the start of better things.
2019-8-6
Use props
Konstant1n
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152736 ft
Georgia

good tips..
Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-14
Use props
Miro Perez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25374 ft
United States

Wow. Great tips can’t wait to try them, I never thought about trying that before.
2019-8-14
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

nice view, nice work
2020-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules