Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Fly Safe Maps Not The Same as FAA
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1127887 ft
United States

I ran into a problem where I could not launch my Phantom Pro 4 Advanced in a zone that FAA permits flight within up to 50 feet AGL.

If you navigate to: https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html and enter the street address "9638 24th Bay St., Norfolk, VA 23518", you'll see FAA permits flight up to 50 feet AGL.

However, if you navigate to the https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map site, and look at the flight restrictions for the North America> U.S.>  Phantom 4 Advanced, and navigate to this same address/area, DJI has Norfolk International needing authorization and will not allow my drone to launch.

FAA of course will not provide "authorization" for an area that they already give permission to fly in, so I cannot submit an authorization letter to DJI to unlock my drone to fly in that area.

I'm familiar with this process, as I have FAA blanket auhoization for another area and when I have to fly in that area, I submit my authorization letter to DJI and they unlock the restrictions for me.  But what do I do for this situation?

It seems that DJI needs to update their software to match the FAAs system?  What do I need to do to launch my drone in an FAA approved area?

Thanks,

Frank

Conflicting Maps

Conflicting Maps
2019-7-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The two maps are usually close but often are not perfect.  There are often discrepancies and it's been this way from the beginning.  

What to do?  

Block the GPS antenna with shielding and fly in ATTI with no RTH.  

Or fly somewhere else.  

Or get yourself a P2 which isn't as restrictive.  

Good luck
2019-7-13
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The fly-zone website app isn't the same as it is on the map.  When I went to fly the authorization zone was actually smaller which was great.  : )  If it was how it was on the website, I would have not been able to fly as I was inside the zone.
2019-7-13
Use props
Frank Biganski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1127887 ft
United States

After doing a little more research, I found a workaround although it comes with a lot of risk and only experienced remote pilots should attempt.

1. In remote controller, enable "Multiple Flight Modes."
2. Turn "Auto Hold" switch on back of controller to "A."

Be aware that when GPS is deactivated, your drone can immediately start to fly like it's out of control as the slightest wind gusts, updrafts, or downdrafts, will quickly move your drone into any nearby obstacles.  All sensors are deactivated so this procedure should only be used with extreme caution.  However, by using ATTI mode and no GPS, I was able to fly my drone to a safe height and take the beach shots needed to complete the job.

Here's a helpful How-To video:  

2019-7-14
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

This is why I don't like geofencing. The first consumer who allowed this set the precedent for this abuse of consumer rights.
2019-7-14
Use props
fans63d5ff69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1470968 ft
United States

I don't want to offer up bad information but if you are flying as a recreational flyer you will be in violation of the new FAA rules flying there. Recreational flyer can not fly in controlled air space other than at approved CBO Sites until July 23 2019. The FAA is saying that Laanc will be available on that date for recreational flyer and you can use it to get permission to fly there but not until then. If you are a 107 holder you can use LAANC now but you can only fly at or below 50' AGL. The problem is your in airport controlled air space  
FAA UAS Facility Map Data

Ceiling50
Ceiling Unit of Measure in FeetFeet
Effective Date of the UAS Facility Base Map6/20/2019
Date of Last Data Change6/1/2017
Latitude36.9252
Longitude-76.1917
GLOBALIDc9de0271-5274-472b-a3d1-99c04be3542a
Airport Count1
FAA Airport Identifier 1ORF

2019-7-14
Use props
fans63d5ff69
lvl.3
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 7-14 18:59
This is why I don't like geofencing. The first consumer who allowed this set the precedent for this abuse of consumer rights.

From what I see this time DJI is correct. He is attempting to fly in controlled air space. I haven't found where they (DJI) have been incorrect but anyway geofencing might keep you from being in violation of the FAA rules or laws.

2019-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Frank Biganski Posted at 7-14 14:02
After doing a little more research, I found a workaround although it comes with a lot of risk and only experienced remote pilots should attempt.

"However, by using ATTI mode and no GPS, I was able to fly my drone to a safe height and take the beach shots needed to complete the job."

Flying in Attitude (ATTI) should not disable the GPS, the aircraft will still know where it is and will RTH if needed. All it means is that the GPS/GLONASS information is not used to lock the aircrafts horizontal position when hovering.

2019-7-15
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

fans63d5ff69 Posted at 7-14 20:30
From what I see this time DJI is correct. He is attempting to fly in controlled air space. I haven't found where they (DJI) have been incorrect but anyway geofencing might keep you from being in violation of the FAA rules or laws.

0-50' air space, unless it's on the approach to a run way, it's likely someone's back yard and no manned aircraft should ever be in that space, unless it's malfunctioned and is making an uncontrolled crash landing. So many people are finding they bought a paper weight, just because the live within a few miles of an airport, hospital, or DC.
2019-7-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I think the best posts in this thread so far seem to be #7 and #8.  The OP implied that he has a 107 with his opening post, but he never actually said it.  Two days later he still hasn't actually said it.  And this happens often when noobs post threads such as this.  After all, most pilots who have a 107 say so in the first sentence for clarity's sake.  Given that, it seems likely the OP doesn't have a 107 after all, which means his flight would obviously be against the rules.
2019-7-15
Use props
fans63d5ff69
lvl.3
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 7-15 16:44
0-50' air space, unless it's on the approach to a run way, it's likely someone's back yard and no manned aircraft should ever be in that space, unless it's malfunctioned and is making an uncontrolled crash landing. So many people are finding they bought a paper weight, just because the live within a few miles of an airport, hospital, or DC.

If his altitude limit is only 50' he is extremely close to a runway. Look at the FAA maps. 50' is the lowest they go other than 0' which is on a runway. He shouldn't put his drone in the air without the ATC knowing about him being there. Planes do have emergency landings, and any airport could have one occur and the last thing they would need is some drone in the air and them not know about it. Again DJI is providing all of us a great service with geofencing.  If people follow the proper protocol they shouldn't have a problem.

You would spend the amount of money a Phantom 4 Advanced cost to only fly it in your yard? Why not buy a lite weight (less than 0.55 lbs) drone that is not regulated and do the same thing for a lot less money.  Or better still fly the Phantom somewhere it's legal to fly. That would be the best thing to do. The OP has posted a simular problem in the past https://forum.dji.com/thread-185970-1-1.html he should know what he needs to do. From his last post it appeared he solved that probelm with the help of Mark The Droner  and DJI unlocking his drone.
2019-7-15
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's in an "Authorization Zone"  Blue.....  All that is,   is a self unlock.

Go on the computer and get your 3 days of self unlock.  You must be logged in.    Then when you get to your flight location,  you MUST log in and then follow the process for "self unlock" thru the DJI Go4 app.

Read about it......it's not as intuitive as one might hope.

Randy
2019-7-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 7-21 15:13
It's in an "Authorization Zone"  Blue.....  All that is,   is a self unlock.

Go on the computer and get your 3 days of self unlock.  You must be logged in.    Then when you get to your flight location,  you MUST log in and then follow the process for "self unlock" thru the DJI Go4 app.

I think you need to read the OP again.

Unlocking is not the problem.  The problem is the OP believes he is only authorized by FAA to fly up to 50' AGL.

But clearly a Recreational Flyer is not authorized to fly at any height per FAA's new rules starting May 17.  

A 107 pilot might be authorized with a 50' ceiling per the map.

OP never told us what he is.  Recreational or 107?  It's a secret he has kept to himself which he refuses to disclose after more than a week of starting his thread.  

Unlocking does not solve the problem presented in this thread.

The problem is impossible to solve because the OP has abandoned his own thread after providing inadequate info - giving us a clue that he is recreational and actually has no idea what is going on in the airspace of the USA.  

Edit:  It seems reasonable to conclude that OP has a 107 per the link provided in post #13 above.  So if so, nevermind.  :-)  

2019-7-21
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 7-21 16:14
I think you need to read the OP again.

Unlocking is not the problem.  The problem is the OP believes he is only authorized by FAA to fly up to 50' AGL.

Hey Mark,  how it goes?

The first line,  the OP states he could not launch his P4Adv.  He goes on to say he has provided his FAA Waiver to DJI in the past.  Well,  that's for a custom unlock, and this just needs the "self unlock".

If he's 107, which again, we don't know.... then he just needs to request 100ft in the LAANC app ( airmap ) and IF that gets rejected, then try 75ft, which I get quite often in CL D airspace 1600ft west of 27R KSEE
on Prospect Ave.   Crazy huh!!

Randy

Randy
2019-7-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frank Biganski Posted at 7-14 14:02
After doing a little more research, I found a workaround although it comes with a lot of risk and only experienced remote pilots should attempt.

Can you RTH in Atti if you lose connection?  Back then we had no such thing as GPS hold.
2019-7-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-22 12:10
Can you RTH in Atti if you lose connection?  Back then we had no such thing as GPS hold.

No........
2019-7-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Are you sure? What if you are playing with Atti then it loses connection?
2019-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules