Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
EVERY time: magnetic interference error ...
39580 32 2019-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jann Lipka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334058 ft
Sweden

Mavic 2 Pro .

EVERY time I start the drone I get
magnetic interference error - check App.

It is never solved by moving the aircraft ( and happens on places 100% sure without metal objects )
but it goes away after I recalibrate the compass.

Needless to say it is extremely annoying to recalibrate compass every time . i start .
( I fly somteimes the same location sometimes it is just a couple of kilometers way )

ANy suggetsions what could be wrong ?

2019-7-15
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Do you wear a (smart) watch? This can interfere with your compass. Your phone, your remote, everything electric you have in the area can and will interfere with the compass, so check out what you are wearing
2019-7-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

GhostWolf010 Posted at 7-15 04:03
Do you wear a (smart) watch? This can interfere with your compass. Your phone, your remote, everything electric you have in the area can and will interfere with the compass, so check out what you are wearing

Is it every time you start the drone or the first time at a new location.  The latter I would look at how you transport the drone,  for example any magnets in the bag?
2019-7-15
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

It's not really because of magnetic interference. They just want you to do a compass calibration each time. They should change the error message.
2019-7-15
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

If you dont need the gps coordinates, switch your IOS, if you are using one, into aircraft mode before takeoff, this has been known to affect the drone magnetically, but as ghost wolf states, smart devices often affect it too
2019-7-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

How close are you to your car when taking off. I get that message sometime when launching close to my car.
2019-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jann Lipka. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for reaching out. Please check the location where you are calibrating the compass of the said drone. Let me please provide you additional requirements for proper compass calibration. In calibrating the compass of the said drone do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside large metal objects. Thank you.
2019-7-15
Use props
Jann Lipka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334058 ft
Sweden

Thanks for all suggestions .

Mag interference is regardless location -
Happens every day - sometimes ( seldom ) it will not happen when i change the location .
But always on a new day .

( yesterday I lifted on 6 different places maybe 40 km from each other ) didnt get mag interferance on 1 occasion .
All other lift offs- I need to dance. ( calibrate compass )

Its completely unrelated to real magnetic field- I'm not starting close to my car.
Also Its my 3rd drone - previous Mavic Pro- transported in the same way -  don't show this problem at all -
( starting from the same position )

I contacted support - as expected they dont read so they asked me to move starting position
( i do it like a maniac  to no help ) -  
After compass recalibration the message disapears- and I put the drone on the same spot-
and no problems ( untill next location ) battery change dont make mag intereference to re - appear.

I transport it in original Fly More bag with 3 batteries only - no magnets in the car trunk at all -

I have triple checked and have the latest firmware _
Support suggests now to reset the drone to factory setting ( using DJI assistent )
But i Think is just a waste of time . ....
2019-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jann Lipka Posted at 7-18 19:06

It might well be worth refreshing the firmware on the aircraft (& factory reset), and perhaps a reinstall of DJI Go 4. It could be that something is misreporting a problem, a pointer towards a hardware fault (compass moving in aircraft, or bad connection ??? (speculation on my part)).
2019-7-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ha, re-reading the original post I see the RC showed the magnetic interference error -- never mind -- hope you get it resolved.
2019-7-19
Use props
Lukas Slacik
New

Ireland

Hi Guys.
Sometimes i wasnt even able to lift off without switching my phone to airplain mode. When you do, mag interf seems to be gone. Did calibration once when i get it, never since. Also the app kept falling without airplain mode. So every time im flying now i switching to airplain and have no issues what so ever. M2P
2020-1-11
Use props
AOtarolaR
New
Flight distance : 56122 ft
Costa Rica

Jann Lipka Posted at 2019-7-18 19:06

I have exactly the same problem...
99% of the time I have the "mag interference" message when turn on the drone, no mather where I am, I could be in the middle of nowhere and get the message.
I don´t wear any metal on me, no bracelets or necklace nor belts... I don´t even use a regular watch!
Sometimes I don´t even have the control with the cel phone near when turn on the drone (let´s say 20 meters away) and even that... I get the "mag interference" message...
Mavic 2 Pro with the latest firmware and the latest DJI go 4 (recently restored).

2021-3-17
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

AOtarolaR Posted at 3-17 20:02
I have exactly the same problem...
99% of the time I have the "mag interference" message when turn on the drone, no mather where I am, I could be in the middle of nowhere and get the message.
I don´t wear any metal on me, no bracelets or necklace nor belts... I don´t even use a regular watch!

Today I went for a test fly to check the compass error and had that screen up all the time while taking off and flying. It changed from as low as a value of 5 to 37. Went up to 100m and made a large circle. If you could do the same I wonder what you would see. Would you see normal values or would the values be in the red? Perhaps there is a faulty magnetometer. Can you take off at all, or does this error stops you? This is just a guess as I am no expert on this. Just a suggestion.
2021-3-18
Use props
fanscf2392d5
New
Flight distance : 58182 ft
United States

I have recently updated latest updates and get the mag interf - check app every time I start up. Unable to fly at all because it won’t connect to my phone. I saw one comment from a DJI rep that said “make sure when u calibrated to not have any metal or cell phone in area “. How can you fly without a cell phone?
I also just realized that I just started using the new iPhone 12 Pro. Which uses MagSafe. Could this be my issue? And if so, will I not be able to use this phone to fly my mavic pro 2? Is there a fix for this?  
2021-4-26
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

fanscf2392d5 Posted at 4-26 04:56
I have recently updated latest updates and get the mag interf - check app every time I start up. Unable to fly at all because it won’t connect to my phone. I saw one comment from a DJI rep that said “make sure when u calibrated to not have any metal or cell phone in area “. How can you fly without a cell phone?
I also just realized that I just started using the new iPhone 12 Pro. Which uses MagSafe. Could this be my issue? And if so, will I not be able to use this phone to fly my mavic pro 2? Is there a fix for this?

Have you tried using your previous phone? I also do not see your current phone in DJIs list.

iOS V 4.3.37
Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later (Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom requires iOS 10.0.2 or later).
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.40
Requires Android 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.
2021-4-26
Use props
Trigger2041
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45000 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-7-15 09:04
Hello and good day Jann Lipka. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for reaching out. Please check the location where you are calibrating the compass of the said drone. Let me please provide you additional requirements for proper compass calibration. In calibrating the compass of the said drone do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside large metal objects. Thank you.

Can a wheel chair or metal implants affect the magnetic interference
2021-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Trigger2041 Posted at 7-6 07:36

Steel objects can deflect the compass .... if it's close enough.
If you are launching from the ground 6ft or more, a wheelchair wouldn't have any effect.

But if it's a motorised chair, the magnets in the motor/s might have a stronger effect.
2021-7-6
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Yesterday I went taking off filming from short concrete abridge, which had steel railings on both side of it. Just enough that a car could pass it. I was worried that it might have interfered with the drones compass, so I checked this before I taking off and I could not see any difference on the readings. The compass reading looked good as normal. I was just about 1/2 a meter or closer to the steel railings. I was surprised that the steel railing did not have an effect on the drones compass. In my opinion it does not seam to be too sensitive at all to steel structures within this distance from the drone.
2021-7-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

kyalami Posted at 7-7 10:13
Yesterday I went taking off filming from short concrete abridge, which had steel railings on both side of it. Just enough that a car could pass it. I was worried that it might have interfered with the drones compass, so I checked this before I taking off and I could not see any difference on the readings. The compass reading looked good as normal. I was just about 1/2 a meter or closer to the steel railings. I was surprised that the steel railing did not have an effect on the drones compass. In my opinion it does not seam to be too sensitive at all to steel structures within this distance from the drone.

The railings will not be the problem, it is the steel reinforcing rods in the concrete that are a bigger problem. Particularly if you have the aircraft sitting on the concrete when you power it on.
2021-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Trigger2041. Thank you for the reply and for these inquiry. All metal objects and structures line wheel chair and metal implants can give out magnetic interference and might affect your flying experience. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-7-7
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Geebax Posted at 7-7 15:05
The railings will not be the problem, it is the steel reinforcing rods in the concrete that are a bigger problem. Particularly if you have the aircraft sitting on the concrete when you power it on.

Hmmm, that is strange, as I did start the drone from the ground on the bridge and everything looked all right. Perhaps there are no reinforcement rods in that bridge. I will check this again next time I am there.
2021-7-7
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

I have the same problem. I have two Mavic 2 Pro, with the same firmware on both. The second one was purchased a few months after the first one, and on every start it gives the message "magnetic interference - check app".  I have to calibrate the compass, then everything is OK and it flies fine.
The other drone never gives that message, only if I deliberately place it close to metal.
It seems a batch of M2Pro has this problem, I have not found a slolution, but it only takes a few seconds to do the calibration so I have not bothered.
When I check the sensors in Go4 the compass is yellow, after calibration it turns green. This has nothing to do with nearby metal objects.
2021-7-9
Use props
NightThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

A wheel chair perhaps. A metal implant no. I have had a total hip replacement and the primary metal used is titanium which is non-ferrous. If it had any magenetic properties I would have been torn to bits when I have had MRIs taken. That would have been ugly.
2021-7-9
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a friend, wheelchair bound and he has no problems like the rest of us.
2021-7-11
Use props
Shafkath27
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376263 ft
United States

100% same problem for mavic pro 2.......at the same time also use mavic mini but there's no issue for the same place...........it's really frustrating...i have read all the kind suggestions but not sure if they really work to solve......
2022-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Shafkath27 Posted at 1-7 18:12
100% same problem for mavic pro 2.......at the same time also use mavic mini but there's no issue for the same place...........it's really frustrating...i have read all the kind suggestions but not sure if they really work to solve......

A persistent compass error could be a result of a disconnected compass.
Go into the Sensors section of the app and see what it shows about the compass to see if that is the issue.
2022-1-8
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

Labroides Posted at 1-8 00:20
A persistent compass error could be a result of a disconnected compass.
Go into the Sensors section of the app and see what it shows about the compass to see if that is the issue.

One of my M2P gives me the calibrate message every time I start it. I check sensors state, they are green and perfectly fine.
I calibrate, message disappears, sensors the same value. Flying perfectly fine.
This has nothing to do with nearby metal, watches or similar things.

My other M2P (some months older) does not nag about mag interference except when it should. Testing both of them on the same spot, the sensors  show the same green value.

2022-1-9
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIAL FILMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

Read what the guy said! He could not take off because the dji app said strong magnetic interference, so can not calibrate the compass. Then when he finally got the compass calibrated, he can re start the drone from exactly that spot with no compass issues at all. This exact thing happened to me yesterday with my Inspire 2. Could not calibrate compass on top of a carpark, where yes there is steel under the ground. But then after I finally manage to calibrate, I can go to the exact same spot with no compass issues at all. Its so easy for dji to say, remove keys, i watches, anything magnetic. Its a load of rubbish, they really don’t know the answer. I can calibrate the compass with my phone in my pocket, keys in my pocket, next to my car with the radio on, no problem. Then I can go to a field in the middle of nowhere, only grass, no power lines, no keys in my pocket, no cell phone, away from the car and I get the compass calibration issue. Just admit guys from dji, you have no way to explain this. It is very frustrating when we go to a job with our client standing there and have to say sorry we can’t do this job for you because the compass is not working. Just lost a client. Not good enough dji
2023-3-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Always wondering and bit amazed why people write a reaction on a 15 months old post....
2023-3-12
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIAL FILMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

JJB* Posted at 3-12 02:26
Always wondering and bit amazed why people write a reaction on a 15 months old post....

Ummm… Because this is still an ongoing issue, and it is directly on topic. Your comment on the other hand is in no way related to or helpful to this thread
2023-3-12
Use props
Oto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 540348 ft
Latvia

Mine does it also. Seems it never remembers calibration if stored without battery.
2023-3-31
Use props
djiuser_r6EXWAvjSIwN
New

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-7-15 09:04

I get the same message ... I can be standing in the middle of field. Then, I can't perform the calibration procedure. Sometimes it works.... but most times it doesn't.
2023-4-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_r6EXWAvjSIwN Posted at 4-25 18:27
I get the same message ... I can be standing in the middle of field. Then, I can't perform the calibration procedure. Sometimes it works.... but most times it doesn't.

Hi, there.. Sorry for the late notice on your post. May I confirm if you're still experiencing this problem? Please let us know for further assistance.
2023-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules