Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom As A Skyhook for Taking Down Trees
919 5 2019-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Put the Phantom drone to good use today.. needed to take down a rotten branch that was hanging over the cars about 50' in the air. Got out 100' of nylon rope, the drone, the FliFli Airdrop and remotes, and attached a padlock as a weight to the end of the rope and flew it up over the branch and forward, then released the Airdrop and let the rope fall. Landed the drone, then both my father in law and I pulled and pulled and pulled on that rope until the dead branch gave way and came crashing down.

Handy uses for a drone. Tree removal. Getting your rope high enough in the tree to have leverage.

2019-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Mark Weiss. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your story in taking down the rotten branch using your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-7-16
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nice thinking!
2019-7-16
Use props
Anokadrone
Captain
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

I wonder what the total weight was that you were lifting.  
2019-7-17
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 7-17 04:23
I wonder what the total weight was that you were lifting.

The padlock was probably about 5-6 oz. As for the rope, not sure, but the whole spool can't be more than a pound.
Last year, I used similar techniques to raise a 90' vertical longwire antenna, supported by the highest bow of an oak in my back yard. Since installing that antenna, I have been able to hear DX transmissions that were buried in noise on my conventional horizontal longwire antenna.
The drone sure beats using a potato gun or a crossbow and a whole afternoon of failed attempts!

Now if I can figure out how to put a chain saw on a drone... maybe a Matrice 600.. :-)
2019-7-17
Use props
fans379f10ae
lvl.1
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 7-17 10:58
The padlock was probably about 5-6 oz. As for the rope, not sure, but the whole spool can't be more than a pound.
Last year, I used similar techniques to raise a 90' vertical longwire antenna, supported by the highest bow of an oak in my back yard. Since installing that antenna, I have been able to hear DX transmissions that were buried in noise on my conventional horizontal longwire antenna.
The drone sure beats using a potato gun or a crossbow and a whole afternoon of failed attempts!

Great to read that you did this. My father is a ham radio operator and we used to spend a LOT of time trying to figure out a good way to string antennas up through the trees. Would have been fun if we had drones back then.

Have you seen this video of a drone with chainsaw?
https://youtu.be/6Viwwetf0gU
2019-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules