Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Many Hot Pixels on brand new drone?
2551 17 2019-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Krxon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114055 ft
Croatia

Hello
I noticed that mavic 2 pro sensor, at least on my unit creates a lot of hot (bright, stuck) pixels.
I bought it 10 days ago via approoved dealer in my country

Is this normal for mavic 2 pro sensor or I should ask for replacement?
Here is link to original unprocsesesd dng file: https://www.znaor.com/mavic2pro.dng
Iso 200, aperture 2.8, exposure 7 sec.
Hints: Look for hot pixels at 100% zoom, dark areas in the forest, near chimney, and many many more around. I've counted at least 30 of them
- it adds these hot pixels on every photo on same places
My concerns:
I had hot pixels before on my DSLRs but only after several years of usage.
Im afraid what would happen with this sensor after one year?
Also DJI doesnt offer any way how to map hot or deffective pixel.
Any suggestions?

2019-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>

Personally I would ask for a replacement.
2019-7-19
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Yup.
Send it back.
2019-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if DJIs 'DNG cleaner' might help, it can be downloaded from :- https://www.dji.com/uk/phantom-4/info#downloads, it should detect and eliminates these.

Every sensing chip will have some 'hot pixels', usually only seen when pushing long exposures at low light.
Not to be confused with dead pixels.
2019-7-19
Use props
Krxon
lvl.1
Croatia

Aardvark Posted at 7-19 05:57
I wonder if DJIs 'DNG cleaner' might help, it can be downloaded from :- https://www.dji.com/uk/phantom-4/info#downloads, it should detect and eliminates these.

Every sensing chip will have some 'hot pixels', usually only seen when pushing long exposures at low light.

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but I'd like to avoid spending precious time on something which shouldn't be there. Hot pixels usually develops in time, and "pro" marked equipment should have option to isolate defective pixels.
My brand new Mavic 2 "pro" already shows 30ish hot pixels per image so this is unacceptable by me.
Also, usually hot pixels shows when high ISO is used in combo with long exposures for night shots.
Image which I've linked is iso 200 only and 7 sec exposure.
Anyway I've reported it, to our local dealer and hopefully I'll get new unit in monday.
IN EU we are protected by law and we have rights to get new unit, another unit or money back up to 6 months after purchase if there is manufacturing error, which in this case is.
That's also another reason why I'm buying from local dealer and not overseas to avoid sending and receiving unit delays cost, especially during high season of drone usage.
Regards
2019-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Krxon Posted at 7-19 09:30
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion but I'd like to avoid spending precious time on something which shouldn't be there. Hot pixels usually develops in time, and "pro" marked equipment should have option to isolate defective pixels.
My brand new Mavic 2 "pro" already shows 30ish hot pixels per image so this is unacceptable by me.

Good luck with your new unit, it will be interesting to see if it performs any better under the same conditions.
2019-7-19
Use props
akozc
Captain
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

I just replaced my a year old M2P few weeks ago (using my care fresh quota) ,  just to get a brand new drone with 0 millage
yesterday done my first night flight and wolaaaaaaaaa such dead /stuck or what ever pixel were on all the night videos.
So far I saw only one which is  very frustrating  to see sparking tiny dot  like a dying star.
This finding  make me also recall similair issues on my first M2P  but that time I did not worried about and thought it could be because of the dust dirt etc
I will take another night run tonight to see  if this issues is a hardware or software
Some users say  4KFOV option prone to create such dots and 4KHD does not show off same issues under same condition and setting.
If either of the option could not resolve then I will be on my way to the local flagship store this weekend
2019-7-21
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happens to my P4P V2.0 as well but it's random.  They aren't in the same spots all the time.   I use Lightroom's healing brush to remove them.  I also use the healing brush to remove things when my A7 III has something in between the sensor and the lens that I didn't clean off prior to the shots.
2019-7-21
Use props
akozc
Captain
Macao

AntDX316 Posted at 7-21 22:28
This happens to my P4P V2.0 as well but it's random.  They aren't in the same spots all the time.   I use Lightroom's healing brush to remove them.  I also use the healing brush to remove things when my A7 III has something in between the sensor and the lens that I didn't clean off prior to the shots.

For the image healing software  works fine but how do they do for the videos?  any software ?
2019-7-21
Use props
Krxon
lvl.1
Croatia

During this weekend I did some extensive research and I've found that in similar light conditions almost all of their low and medium priced drones produces same issues:
very visible white and colored dots. And those aren't just high iso noise, because those are crisp and repeatable
For example, try to see this image posted by another Mavic owner: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cdq-f5i1m28FQ6J6zw9za7KabG826Qd2
Image is lit with hot pixels like Christmas tree.
I know that these could be removed with some automation software or manually in photoshop, but why should we spend precious time on something which is clearly sensor fault?
My Mavic is labeled as "RO" and this is not PRO result especially for something highly praised for photo and video quality
This issue renders drone not very usable in low light conditions.

- very high iso, long (30s and higher ) exposures: its common to see harsh noise and few hot pixels
- 100-200 iso, exp from 1 to 5 sec: no hot pixels should be visible.

Regards
2019-7-22
Use props
akozc
Captain
Macao

Krxon Posted at 7-22 00:16
During this weekend I did some extensive research and I've found that in similar light conditions almost all of their low and medium priced drones produces same issues:
very visible white and colored dots. And those aren't just high iso noise, because those are crisp and repeatable
For example, try to see this image posted by another Mavic owner: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cdq-f5i1m28FQ6J6zw9za7KabG826Qd2

Thanks for the feedback quite useful to me.
So is that a kind of fault or limitation of the technology ,
I can use my last quota care fresh to get the new m2p but  i don't think    the replacement  will 100% free from the same defect /fault or let say limitation of the technology.
So I on the verge to toss my coin,

2019-7-22
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

akozc Posted at 7-21 23:04
For the image healing software  works fine but how do they do for the videos?  any software ?

They don't show up on videos.
2019-7-22
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Upload video footage showing the hot pixels.
I get lots of hot pixels too but they are understandable color noise.  Just heal them out in Lightroom.  If they are in the same spots all the time it sucks but they aren't.
2019-7-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

It sounds like the glass or metal behind it can be causing the problem?
2019-7-22
Use props
akozc
Captain
Macao

After all my struggling this is the conclusion:
I swapped third  times and this time before leave the shop asked the technician to test the drone in the dark room to sure no dead pixel
not all the drones show dead pixel and some batches only and depends how lucky you are to get the batch with free from dead pixel.
I also asked the DJI technician  reason for such defects  and he couldn't answered me clearly but saying "they dont know".
Definitely  is not an acceptable answer but obviously the core reason behind is a poor QC check during the post-manufacturing stage.  
2019-8-2
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"This issue renders drone not very usable in low light conditions."

This is true, but the same hot pixels will appear in all imaging devices under the right conditions including most professional equipment.
2019-8-2
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 7-22 06:56
Thanks for the feedback quite useful to me.
So is that a kind of fault or limitation of the technology ,
I can use my last quota care fresh to get the new m2p but  i don't think    the replacement  will 100% free from the same defect /fault or let say limitation of the technology.

"So is that a kind of fault or limitation of the technology , "

It is a limiting factor of the technology, and will affect all digital imaging chips. Some chips will be better than others perhaps, but it's still there.
2019-8-2
Use props
RoostPhoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 337280 ft
United Kingdom

Adobe DNG convertor erases the hot pixels when converting. Admittedly that's converting .dng to .dng but it works for me.
2021-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules