Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I've ordered a Mavic 2 Pro w/ Smart Controller..
1439 19 2019-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, no matter what you do to you cannot get the colors to pop w/o overblowing parts of the image.  Also when you start doing fast forward flight, the props come into the screen.  The aircraft Yaw drifts in the air depending on the wind.  With the Mavic 2 Zoom that stays perfect and the footage is Incredibly smooth but the sensor sucks.  The optical zoom matters a lot though as it helped enormously in 1 job (3rd story outside high-winds insurance adjuster shot)  and my future enterprise jobs.  I need the Mavic 2 Pro because the 800m clarity of the M2Z is so far beyond the P4P V2.0 that even at 350m out over residential I lost signal completely (prob because I was adjusting the antennas).

With the Smart Controller, I can use it with all my drones except the Spark.  I need extreme reliability and smooth flight.  With the P4PV2.0, when the winds kick up a bit it flies slower.  I've done a big orbit w/ the M2Z and P4P V2.0 and the P4P V2.0 is much slower.  M2Z can even film in Sport mode where the P4P V2.0 the Props will Always come into the shot.  It's a good drone but at medium range, I was having serious cut-outs at times.  M2Z gives really Zero issue probably due to the better processor.  The start-up time of the M2Z is fast compared to the P4P V2.0.  The picture sharpness of the P4 for pano and other things have spicened up my portfolio so much that I have landed clients that call me for new needs.  I know the P4P V2.0 so much that if the Mavic 2 Pro is indeed better I will sell the P4P V2.0.  I'm just scared of things getting stuck in between the lens and the sensor like some people have been reporting.  This is basically my Profession now so spending thousands of dollars seems worth it but I'm still in more debt!
2019-7-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I use my M2P most for strictly photography and video work like real-estate/property shots. It just produces better quality images and video in my opinion (though I admit that is a subjective opinion). My P4P V2.0 does the mapping/inspection missions for me in support of my M200. I too noticed with the P4P that the props get into the field of view at times of high crosswind or fast speeds forward (though that doesn't affect mapping missions at all).

Anyway, I have the Smart Controller as well and couldn't be happier with it. Except for the fact that the Ipad Pro I use for my P4P, which has cellular data that comes in handy in the field, I wish the SC would work with the P4P. Even without a data connection, the SC can be used in tandem with my Jetpack hot-spot in my pocket, which is a reasonable alternative.
2019-7-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JPilotR Posted at 7-19 07:33
Yeah, I use my M2P most for strictly photography and video work like real-estate/property shots. It just produces better quality images and video in my opinion (though I admit that is a subjective opinion). My P4P V2.0 does the mapping/inspection missions for me in support of my M200. I too noticed with the P4P that the props get into the field of view at times of high crosswind or fast speeds forward (though that doesn't affect mapping missions at all).

Anyway, I have the Smart Controller as well and couldn't be happier with it. Except for the fact that the Ipad Pro I use for my P4P, which has cellular data that comes in handy in the field, I wish the SC would work with the P4P. Even without a data connection, the SC can be used in tandem with my Jetpack hot-spot in my pocket, which is a reasonable alternative.

Yeah, the orthomosaics made me a lot of money before but now no one calls me for those anymore.

The P4P V2.0 is going to be compatible w/ the Smart Controller.  Is the feed quality higher than w/ the White controller?

Is the M2P Photography and Video a lot better than the P4P?  Also, you've tried M2P for mapping/inspection, how is it?
2019-7-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 7-19 07:45
Yeah, the orthomosaics made me a lot of money before but now no one calls me for those anymore.

The P4P V2.0 is going to be compatible w/ the Smart Controller.  Is the feed quality higher than w/ the White controller?

Yeah, I read about that research into using the SC with the P4P. But I didn't know it was closer to a real thing though rather than just research. That would be a good option!
2019-7-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JPilotR Posted at 7-19 07:47
Yeah, I read about that research into using the SC with the P4P. But I didn't know it was closer to a real thing though rather than just research. That would be a good option!

Is the range a lot better w/ the Smart Controller than the regular?
2019-7-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I mean the quality isn't that bad on the P4PV2.0.
2019-7-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have never flown my drones that far out of range honestly cause I don't usually need an observer. I do my best to keep VLOS at all times, and the best I can do with that is nowhere near the max range of the drone or controller .

And no, the quality isn't bad on the P4P per se, I just feel, subjectively of course, that the M2P produces a "cleaner" image and better variability. But... my P4P has always had a little bit of a "jello" effect during any speed turn or yaw, out of the box. May be indicative of a problem, I don't know, but I don't use it for pictures or video as I do purely mapping and inspection with it.
2019-7-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cool pic by the way.
2019-7-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice!
Congrats
2019-7-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JPilotR Posted at 7-19 10:49
I have never flown my drones that far out of range honestly cause I don't usually need an observer. I do my best to keep VLOS at all times, and the best I can do with that is nowhere near the max range of the drone or controller .

And no, the quality isn't bad on the P4P per se, I just feel, subjectively of course, that the M2P produces a "cleaner" image and better variability. But... my P4P has always had a little bit of a "jello" effect during any speed turn or yaw, out of the box. May be indicative of a problem, I don't know, but I don't use it for pictures or video as I do purely mapping and inspection with it.

Why do you choose to use the P4P for mapping and inspection over the M2P?
2019-7-19
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

That cleans up any doubts if I think of upgrading for the time being. Only reason i would consider Phantom anymore is if I was using it extensively off a boat for the easy takeoff and landing which I won't be. Thanks for this info and knowledge
2019-7-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TakeFlite Posted at 7-19 22:19
That cleans up any doubts if I think of upgrading for the time being. Only reason i would consider Phantom anymore is if I was using it extensively off a boat for the easy takeoff and landing which I won't be. Thanks for this info and knowledge

You can't take-off if it says magnetic interference.  I mean, you can probably take off in Atti mode but I never have.

The Phantom, I still use it today obviously because I don't have the M2P yet.  I will be able to tell All the differences within 1 month.
2019-7-19
Use props
TakeFlite
First Officer
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-19 22:56
You can't take-off if it says magnetic interference.  I mean, you can probably take off in Atti mode but I never have.

The Phantom, I still use it today obviously because I don't have the M2P yet.  I will be able to tell All the differences within 1 month.

Not sure what exactly you're referring to with the magnetic interference, maybe the boat? I've never tried it myself but I watch numerous people on yt who use it everyday so must be a way.

2019-7-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best of luck with your new purchase...
2019-7-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 7-19 21:50
Why do you choose to use the P4P for mapping and inspection over the M2P?

Primarily because of the mechanical shutter versus the M2P electronic shutter. When in NADIR, the P4P takes perfectly fine images, and when in a stable position, inspection pics are great too. Its only when turning while taking a video I get a bit of that "jello" people talk about.

I have tried the M2P for mapping before and when uploading to DroneDeploy have once in awhile had issues with stitching the images. But with the P4P I've never had an issue.
2019-7-20
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JPilotR Posted at 7-20 07:43
Primarily because of the mechanical shutter versus the M2P electronic shutter. When in NADIR, the P4P takes perfectly fine images, and when in a stable position, inspection pics are great too. Its only when turning while taking a video I get a bit of that "jello" people talk about.

I have tried the M2P for mapping before and when uploading to DroneDeploy have once in awhile had issues with stitching the images. But with the P4P I've never had an issue.

Yeah, that's what I've heard but my M2Z stitching was fine before the P4PV2.0
2019-7-20
Use props
KS-6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

After playing with several M2P DNG files in DXO PhotoLab 2, I pulled the trigger yesterday on the same combo and the fly more kit, get it tomorrow. I will be using it mostly for stills as I sub-contract out all motion camera work and just direct. In being a commercial advertising and editorial photographer for over 30 years, I have done gobs of aerials so this is pretty exciting to me from the variable height ladder perspective.

Anyone familiar with what the sharpest native aperture setting is on the MP2? I figure on a 2.8 lens it is around 5.6-8.0 but I'm not sure this is apples to apples.
2019-7-23
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KS-6 Posted at 7-23 09:38
After playing with several M2P DNG files in DXO PhotoLab 2, I pulled the trigger yesterday on the same combo and the fly more kit, get it tomorrow. I will be using it mostly for stills as I sub-contract out all motion camera work and just direct. In being a commercial advertising and editorial photographer for over 30 years, I have done gobs of aerials so this is pretty exciting to me from the variable height ladder perspective.

Anyone familiar with what the sharpest native aperture setting is on the MP2? I figure on a 2.8 lens it is around 5.6-8.0 but I'm not sure this is apples to apples.

You are getting the Mavic 2 Pro too to Pano?  What were you using before?
2019-7-23
Use props
KS-6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 7-23 13:05
You are getting the Mavic 2 Pro too to Pano?  What were you using before?

I'm not sure that I referred to pano use in the post above but for what it is worth I have pulled it off in both fixed high wing and helicopters with DSLRs.

No matter how good drones get for stills, I will always want to fly with regular high res digital and film cameras in actual aircraft.
2019-7-23
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KS-6 Posted at 7-23 19:29
I'm not sure that I referred to pano use in the post above but for what it is worth I have pulled it off in both fixed high wing and helicopters with DSLRs.

No matter how good drones get for stills, I will always want to fly with regular high res digital and film cameras in actual aircraft.

So you didn't get it yet?
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules