Devon UK with the OP
800 12 2019-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hirsti99
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Video of South Devon UK, shot hand held with Osmo Pocket in 4K 50fps, edited in Davinci Resolve on a 25 fps timeline.  ND32 filter used to achieve 1/100 Iso 100

2019-7-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Hirsti99. Thank you for sharing this video you have captured in Devon UK using your DJI Osmo Pocket. Nicely done and thank you for your support.
2019-7-19
Use props
nilsonleow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Cool video!
2019-7-20
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely scenery, Devon is nice. Well done.
2019-7-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You used an ND32 filter - in England???!  No, seriously, nicely done, beautiful images.
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Wow!! I loved every second of that video. Very nicely done. Makes me want to go there right this minute. Such a beautiful looking place. May I ask a question. When you were moving towards your dog, how did you mange to avoid the up and down motion you get when you walk along with the Osmo Pocket, or did you achieve the zooming affect in post?

Cheers
2019-7-20
Use props
Hirsti99
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JDVideo Posted at 7-20 05:34
Wow!! I loved every second of that video. Very nicely done. Makes me want to go there right this minute. Such a beautiful looking place. May I ask a question. When you were moving towards your dog, how did you mange to avoid the up and down motion you get when you walk along with the Osmo Pocket, or did you achieve the zooming affect in post?

Cheers

Thank You,

I did a Facebook post of this recently, here are the details;

Using the Osmo Pocket to give a drone like/Jib effect.
Frame the subject using the gimbal mode follow and once you have the subject framed set the gimbal to tilt lock.
Stand up as tall as you can holding the OP as high as you can while still retaining the subject in the viewfinder.
Walk slowly towards the subject and slowly lower the OP until it is low to the floor as you approach the subject.  Try and keep the OP as steady as possible whilst doing this.
You may need to stabilise the footage in a post processing software to get smoother footage.
Slowing down the video in post processing will also help to smooth the footage.
Here is a video I shot using the above method, I shot in 4K 50fps, edited the footage in Davinci Resolve on a 25fps timeline.  The  clip was set to 50% speed and was stabilised.
2019-7-20
Use props
Hirsti99
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JDVideo Posted at 7-20 05:34

Cheers

Thank You.

I did a Facebook post on this recently, the details are;

Using the Osmo Pocket to give a drone like/Jib effect.
Frame the subject using the gimbal mode follow and once you have the subject framed set the gimbal to tilt lock.
Stand up as tall as you can holding the OP as high as you can while still retaining the subject in the viewfinder.
Walk slowly towards the subject and slowly lower the OP until it is low to the floor as you approach the subject.  Try and keep the OP as steady as possible whilst doing this.
You may need to stabilise the footage in a post processing software to get smoother footage.
Slowing down the video in post processing will also help to smooth the footage.
Here is a video I shot using the above method, I shot in 4K 50fps, edited the footage in Davinci Resolve on a 25fps timeline.  The  clip was set to 50% speed and was stabilised.
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Hirsti99 Posted at 7-20 06:46
Thank You,

I did a Facebook post of this recently, here are the details;

That would take quite a bit of practice for sure. Interesting method you used.

I need to upgrade my video editing software. Right now I'm using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15. It has served my needs quite nicely. I understand that Davinci is free. Is that correct?

I have tried slowing down footage and the end results show a flickering effect. Not very usable, I'm afraid. I'm also not shooting 4K right now as I don't have a means of viewing it at present, and also my computer will not handle the rigors of 4K editing. They really have you don't they. Constantly coming out with upgrades just at the right time, not too soon, so as to get people to purchase the latest gear, etc. It's all planned well in advance. I can't help but wonder if the technology has been there, but only released in smidgens at a time. As people get used to the idea of two years later, "well, I guess it's time to upgrade the TV now, Martha, after all, we have had it for two years now." HAHAHA!!

Thanks for the advice on shooting. Perhaps the extension grip would be an advantage for that.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edit: I just looked at the Davinci Resolve webpage. Yes, they do have a free version, and an upgraded version for $299. Whch do you use? I would guess that the purchased version has the necessary features that you used.

2019-7-20
Use props
Hirsti99
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JDVideo Posted at 7-20 07:40
That would take quite a bit of practice for sure. Interesting method you used.

I need to upgrade my video editing software. Right now I'm using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15. It has served my needs quite nicely. I understand that Davinci is free. Is that correct?

It takes a little practice but I also have a 4th Axis gun which works great for reducing the bob, looks a bit silly but works great.

I used the free version of Davinci, there is no point getting the paid version unless you want lens rectification or noise reduction.

There are two major tricks in Davinci,

Firstly is create optimized cache files to work on when editing, this is a must and makes editing so much smoother no matter what computer you use, it's simple to do:

1. Drop you video clip into Davinci Media section but NOT the timeline.
2. Click on project settings and change the section for optimized media to be  1/4 or 1/8 the resolution.
3. Right click the video clip and select generate optimized media.
4. Once it gets to 100% you can now drop the clip onto the  timeline and it will be smooth to edit.
5. Dont worry it is only a cache file  and the original file will be used to generate the target video.

The next big tip is DONT use the "change clip speed" option in Davinci, you will end up with stuttering footage.
Here are the best steps:

1.  When you first create a new project, go to project settings and set your timeline fps to be half of recorded video fps, so if you recorded 50fps footage then set your timeline to be 25fps, if you recorded at 60 fps then set your timeline fps to be 30fps (0.5x) or 24fps (0.4x)
2. When you drop your video clip into davinci media it will say your clip fps is different to your timeline fps do you want  to change, select DO NOT CHANGE.
3.  After you have done the optimized media above, right click the video clip and select clip properties.
4.  In clip properties it should show you fps of the recorded clip, change this to be the fps of the timeline, so if your clip was recorded in 50 fps and your timeline is 25 fps then change 50 to 25.
5. Drop the clip onto your timeline and trimit accordingly, you shouuld now get smooth slow motion footage.

Hope this helps
2019-7-20
Use props
JDVideo
lvl.2
United States

Hirsti99 Posted at 7-20 08:03
It takes a little practice but I also have a 4th Axis gun which works great for reducing the bob, looks a bit silly but works great.

I used the free version of Davinci, there is no point getting the paid version unless you want lens rectification or noise reduction.

Thank you so much for your help. Greatly appreciated. You know, I was at first wondering if you were using a 4th axis device.

I have a situation with Devinci Resolve 6. When I try to start I get three messages. Click on the first, then comes the second and so forth. Here are the three in order:

No idea why I get these messages come up, and I also have absolutely no idea how to resolve them. I will call customer service on Monday. Did you get this sort of issue at first? When they asked a series of questions at the first start, I chose a certain folder on my hard drive for it to save to.

Anyway, I can't do anything at all until I get this resolved . . . hmmm, fitting name for the program.
2019-7-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice video, nice work
2019-7-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>