Home Made Microphone using Primo EM172 capsules.
1928 2 2019-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

As promised, this is my own version of David Harry's 'Clippy' microphone build.
First I have to say I rejected using the same cheap mic body David used as I found the plastic casing of that mic made any microphone capsules placed within it susceptible to radio interference. So my first task was to find something to act as the microphone body/casing.
Luckily I'm a bit of a hoarder with electronic gear and seldom throw much away so I had a quick rummage and came up with two candidates I thought would marry up quite well.

First the main body for the mic.

Old LED torch

Old LED torch

Aluminium body

Aluminium body

Which was taken apart for the parts I needed.

Parts of torch

Parts of torch

Parts needed

Parts needed

I also had an old mike I'd been given that never worked which I hacksawed apart by hand for a grill. Boy was it tough. I think the body was steel.

Realy old mono mic

Realy old mono mic

Sawn carefully in half with junior hacksaw

Sawn carefully in half with junior hacksaw

I then sanded the grill by hand until it matched the diameter of the torch's front end and did a test fit.

Sanding Disk

Sanding Disk

Test Fit

Test Fit

Screwed the top on to see if it was secure.

Test fit 2

Test fit 2

I'll apologize now for the quality of some of the images. I never checked them as I went along.
Anyway, now it was time for disassembly and wrapping up in cling film for some molding.

Cling film wrap

Cling film wrap

Top view

Top view

Time for my favorite mouldable silicon glue. Sugru!

Brown Sugru

Brown Sugru

Toxic, Take care

Toxic, Take care

Colour at this point doesn't matter so use up those colours I don't care for much. One sachet was not enough, so time for sachet number two.

Not enough

Not enough

Pink 1

Pink 1

I'm trying at this point to make a plug which I can pull out after it sets as a base to place the mic capsules in a material with little in the way of resonant frequencies.

Topping off

Topping off

Overflow

Overflow

I left the Sugru to set overnight as per instructions but the Sugru actually took 72 hours to set enough not to squash and deform when handled.
I know this because I always have a test piece to one side to examine before I work on the project itself.

After extracting the plug and using a small dril bit, I bored a hole through the center of the plug and placed the mic capsules individually into the plug for a test fit for both position and clearance of the mesh.

Test fit one

Test fit one

Test fit with mesh

Test fit with mesh

Mesh test fit

Mesh test fit

After the test fit it was time to recover all parts in cling film again for the next fitting into the mic for final molding to take place.

Plug with capsules

Plug with capsules

rewrap for return insertion

rewrap for return insertion

I then used more Sugru to embed the mic capsules also at the same time using cling film around the mesh and pressing them together for a solid fit.

Clin filmed for molding

Clin filmed for molding

Test fit three

Test fit three

Fill with Sugru

Fill with Sugru

Press mesh down

Press mesh down

I trimmed excess Sugru off of the edges and lifted off the grill and waited for the Sugru to set again before carefully extracting the capsules when the moulding was finished.

I had to go around the edges of the capsules with a needle to loosen them enough to be able to push them up and out of the plug. Why so much trouble to do all this? I can now dismantle and replace any part of the mic in future. I Also soldered the wiring a bit better while they were out using just a heat sink, a very old soldering iron and a pair of pliers.

Final mould

Final mould

Antex soldering iron

Antex soldering iron

Re-assembly for final wiring and drilling of the base by hand, reaming a hole for the 3.5mm jack socket. Also making a note and colour coding the wires for left and right as I want to use this mic for other things as well as it is stereo with matched capsules.

Additional wiring

Additional wiring

Opening to see colour coded wiring

Opening to see colour coded wiring

Then, one more temporary hook up to see if handling noise was OK and that I'd wired them correctly.

Mock up to see if it still worked

Mock up to see if it still worked

Finally, the 3.5mm jack socket and homemade windshield made out of foam using a pair of scissors for shaping.

3.5mm socket

3.5mm socket

Home made wind sheild

Home made wind sheild

Now I know the windshield looks rough but I now have a fur Windscreen muff by Neewer that fits snug as a bug. It was meant for the Tascam DO5  portable digital recorder but fits my mic really well. I like Neewer products. They are normally well built and reasonably priced.

You will see the mic with the muff in a video soon.

So was it worth it? I'll know soon enough but it is very short. Very robust, and givess a good output to the Osmo Pocket.
Total cost of build.

Mic Capsules £35:46
Torch nothing.

Old mic for mesh, given to me
Sugru, three sachets about £4:00
Cling film, No idea but less than a few pence.
Solder. Given to me by my dad 50 years ago and still getting through it. May contain lead  :-)
Wire.Nothing. Taken from other bits of old equipment, some from the torch.
3.5mm Jack socket. 45 pence.

Neewer fur muff £8:74
My homemade sponge wind muff. Nothing. I could have used an old washing up sponge as long as it was dry. Colour doesn't matter as it gets covered by the Fur muff completely.

Total not including my time to do this which was about three hours not including waiting for Sugru to set.
Rough estimate: £48:24p

Finished plug

Finished plug
2019-7-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ray-CubeAce. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this creation. This is very innovative. Nicely done and two thumbs up.
2019-7-19
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules