Portable/Mobile Router for RoboMaster S1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Hi All,

With my 2nd RoboMaster S1 now arrived, and knowing a group that has a third one in my area, I started thinking about working with Router connections while "on-the-road".

For that purpose, I am wondering what a good portable/mobile, i.e. battery-driven, Router would be to work with multiple S1 robots. I'm thinking, for example, of setting-up S1 tournaments at racket sports centers where domestic power may be difficult to get to.

2019-7-20
Use props
Saberfly
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The only way youd be able to would be a mobile hotspot. Either your phone or a dedicated one. A router wont work without a modem and internet connection. Or if it will wirk without internet, just get a battery backup. I had a 1500VA on my router and modem and it would last over 3 hours.
2019-7-20
Use props
Malibu Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143898 ft
United States

You can use your phone hotspot and allow all S1 to connect to it.  The only problem is you can't use your phone to control your S1.  You'll need another phone or an ipad to control your S1.
2019-7-20
Use props
Malibu Aerial
lvl.4
United States

Saberfly Posted at 7-20 10:37
The only way youd be able to would be a mobile hotspot. Either your phone or a dedicated one. A router wont work without a modem and internet connection. Or if it will wirk without internet, just get a battery backup. I had a 1500VA on my router and modem and it would last over 3 hours.

You don't need internet connection on the router.  Oh and I found this USB powered router on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-W ... outer/dp/B00TQEX8BO
2019-7-20
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Malibu Aerial Posted at 7-20 13:25
You can use your phone hotspot and allow all S1 to connect to it.  The only problem is you can't use your phone to control your S1.  You'll need another phone or an ipad to control your S1.

My main concern with using a smart phone as an Access Point is the maximum number of robots that can connect to it simultaneously.
I intend to start a RoboMaster league, and in multiplayer tournaments I'm afraid I would: 1) overwhelm a smartphone's access point; and 2) deplete the battery very rapidly if I do not have access to a wall receptacle.
The majority of mobile/portable HotSpots can only handle 5 connections at any one time. I think 10 would be a more reasonnable capability/requirement.

2019-7-20
Use props
Malibu Aerial
lvl.4
United States

rhoude57 - YUL Posted at 7-20 13:48
My main concern with using a smart phone as an Access Point is the maximum number of robots that can connect to it simultaneously.
I intend to start a RoboMaster league, and in multiplayer tournaments I'm afraid I would: 1) overwhelm a smartphone's access point; and 2) deplete the battery very rapidly if I do not have access to a wall receptacle.
The majority of mobile/portable HotSpots can only handle 5 connections at any one time. I think 10 would be a more reasonnable capability/requirement.

Then just use a regular router with a small generator or solar power from Harbor Freight.
2019-7-20
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Malibu Aerial Posted at 7-20 14:10
Then just use a regular router with a small generator or solar power from Harbor Freight.

I'm looking into mobile routers/hotspots like these:
- https://www.amazon.ca/Routeur-mu ... =gateway&sr=8-6
- or
- https://www.amazon.ca/TP-LINK-Tl ... gateway&sr=8-15
2019-7-20
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Is I recall you're in Oakland and I am in San Jose - so that's possibly four S1's in battle - Friend Request sent!
2019-7-25
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

MarkusXL Posted at 7-25 06:41
Is I recall you're in Oakland and I am in San Jose - so that's possibly four S1's in battle - Friend Request sent!

I live in Montreal, Canada, actually.
So the call is out to anyone in the area.
2019-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules