Mavic Air Crash - Update Related?
1539 14 2019-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djack30275
New
United States

I recently conducted an update to my Mavic Air, and shortly after the update took it on a test flight.  Approximately 10 minutes into the flight my Mavic Air began spinning widely  on its own and immediately crashed.  I spoke to a friend of mine who experienced the same thing subsequent to doing his update.  Has anyone else experienced this?  
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day djack30275. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air and thank you for reaching out. Since your DJI Mavic Air had a crash I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the real reason of the crash and of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Thank for your support.
2019-7-20
Use props
likhan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1398 ft
Netherlands

Mine just crashed on the third flight. I initially thought it might be pilot error but examining the logs I think it was not me. My remote control sticks were not moved to move the drone. Also when I tried bringing it down it kept moving up. Not doing anything did not make it hover. Bought this for a trip to iceland next Thursday. This is a big bummer as I dont think I can afford another trip to Iceland again.
2019-7-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Upload the flight log from the flight to PhantomHelp using these instructions, then post a link to the uploaded log in this thread and someone will take a look and let you know what appears to be the most likely cause.
2019-7-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

likhan Posted at 7-20 13:48
Mine just crashed on the third flight. I initially thought it might be pilot error but examining the logs I think it was not me. My remote control sticks were not moved to move the drone. Also when I tried bringing it down it kept moving up. Not doing anything did not make it hover. Bought this for a trip to iceland next Thursday. This is a big bummer as I dont think I can afford another trip to Iceland again.

Upload the flight log from the flight to PhantomHelp using these instructions, then post a link to the uploaded log in this thread and someone will take a look and let you know what appears to be the most likely cause.
2019-7-20
Use props
likhan
lvl.2
Netherlands

Gimpy Posted at 7-20 14:16

This is the flight to PhantomHelp. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R12UOUAGMCWKMJV689JY/
2019-7-21
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

likhan Posted at 7-21 03:35
This is the flight to PhantomHelp. https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R12UOUAGMCWKMJV689JY/

From what I saw in the log, I think you're probably right about having a legitimate warranty claim. Note how the aircraft flew in an almost perfect circle without the corresponding stick input from you, and note also how similar your description is of this flight described in another recent thread.

This reminds me of the "toilet bowl effect" that used to commonly be seen on the original Mavic Pro with early firmware releases until DJI apparently figured out a better way to deal with magentic interference on the ground. A lot of Mavics crashed before that, though, because it's pretty common for people to take off from concrete with embedded rebar.
2019-7-21
Use props
likhan
lvl.2
Netherlands

Gimpy Posted at 7-21 04:21
From what I saw in the log, I think you're probably right about having a legitimate warranty claim. Note how the aircraft flew in an almost perfect circle without the corresponding stick input from you, and note also how similar your description is of this flight described in another recent thread.

This reminds me of the "toilet bowl effect" that used to commonly be seen on the original Mavic Pro with early firmware releases until DJI apparently figured out a better way to deal with magentic interference on the ground. A lot of Mavics crashed before that, though, because it's pretty common for people to take off from concrete with embedded rebar.

Thanks for the response, it is good to know that I did not crash it by mistake. BTW I took off from a wooden platform, not concrete, but, it was next to a house. I am hoping to also get some resolution from DJI. The drone is not even a week old, and that was the third flight, excluding a few test take off and landing.
2019-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

likhan Posted at 7-21 04:51
Thanks for the response, it is good to know that I did not crash it by mistake. BTW I took off from a wooden platform, not concrete, but, it was next to a house. I am hoping to also get some resolution from DJI. The drone is not even a week old, and that was the third flight, excluding a few test take off and landing.

Hi likhan,

What a sad story, sorry for your loss.

It just happens to you, i can see in the log that you must have been surprised! No pitch and yaw input to try to bring her back. As Gimpy said, must have to do with a errror in the drone system.

Hope that DJI will help you out!

BTW i missed the after takeoff checks in your flightlog. They are crucial to start a new safe flight.

If you need any help, dutchie too  ;-)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-7-21
Use props
likhan
lvl.2
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 7-21 07:58
Hi likhan,

What a sad story, sorry for your loss.
[Image]
Hi jjb,
Thanks for the validation. Indeed pre flight check is missing, still a newbie. Do you think this would have been found on a pre flight check? If yes, then I will create a feature request to the app. Also what would a proper list of pre flight checks? I have watched a few videos on that. And have done so on earlier flights. This one I guess i was just very excited to show off my new toy.
2019-7-22
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

likhan Posted at 7-22 12:44
Hi jjb,
Thanks for the validation. Indeed pre flight check is missing, still a newbie. Do you think this would have been found on a pre flight check? If yes, then I will create a feature request to the app. Also what would a proper list of pre flight checks? I have watched a few videos on that. And have done so on earlier flights. This one I guess i was just very excited to show off my new toy.

That depends on the checklist. One thing you can look for, though, is to see if the aircraft icon on the map is pointing in a different direction from that of the actual aircraft. If so, that suggests that there's a problem like the compass being affected by nearby metal.
2019-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi jjb,
Thanks for the validation. Indeed pre flight check is missing, still a newbie. Do you think this would have been found on a pre flight check? If yes, then I will create a feature request to the app. Also what would a proper list of pre flight checks? I have watched a few videos on that. And have done so on earlier flights. This one I guess i was just very excited to show off my new toy.

This link might be of some help, although checks are for professional you can take out of it what will suit you, will also leave a good practice preflight exercise which I have used for many years with great results.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152011

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to.

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2019-7-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi jjb,
Thanks for the validation. Indeed pre flight check is missing, still a newbie. Do you think this would have been found on a pre flight check? If yes, then I will create a feature request to the app. Also what would a proper list of pre flight checks? I have watched a few videos on that. And have done so on earlier flights. This one I guess i was just very excited to show off my new toy.

Probably yes.

Many chekclist to be found on here,  i use this one.
But pick one you like or make a new one ;-)

In addition to post #12 /4 ; red arrow shows only the correct heading of your drone if the phone compass is also calibrated. Sometimes phone compass is wrong, as long as the red arrow has the same offset to the N sign as your done has irl, compass of your drone is pointing the good direction.

Red arrow = gets info from the drone compass
N sign = Compass circle (N sign + de rest ofcourse) gets its info from the mobile device.

What i normally do is stand behind my drone ( 10 meters if possible, drone nose facing away from me ), so the red arrow is poiting fwd on the compass. Check drone heading relative to North and see this back in the compass.

After take off do the yaw moves (+all the other stick inputs) and watch the red arrow follows and come back to the original heading. All OKE = very good chance of a happy flight.

A very simple video to see how it works > https://forum.dji.com/thread-144696-1-1.html

About number of satellites to start a flight ; i my checklist you see 11 sats. I have to change this as the GPS chip in DJI drones uses GPS and Glonass sats at the same time.Depending wich sats are seen by the drone (where in the sky) a GPS lock is there often receving 8 sats. But carefull, flying with just enough sats can go wrong if one satellite goes away (behing building etc, trees ect). Not enough sats and flying outside visual sensor range means ATTI.
So better wait little more to get higher number of sats and good reception.
Basicly i am saying ; never starts in a hurry a flight!

cheers
JJB

MyCanIFlyChecklist_2.2.pdf

304.79 KB, Down times: 8

2019-7-22
Use props
Kris Murphy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264380 ft
Ireland

@OP: which firmware are you talking about?
2019-7-24
Use props
likhan
lvl.2
Netherlands

Apologies I am a newbie. I saw the ops post and thought my issue was the same. Now I realised that it was a new battery and most likely that caused that upgrade which for the battery only. Figured it out due to using a brand new battery which did the same.
Now I am curious too for the OPs initial comment... which firmware?
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules