Laanc for recreational flight
1542 12 2019-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

The FCC site and the FAA webinar said recreational flyers can use the LAANC system on 23 July. However, I have not seen any information from any of the service providers for the FAA. Has anyone seen anything?
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Thank you for sharing this information for us. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our DJI co-pilots here in the Forum. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-20
Use props
PilotPete
lvl.2
United States

I’m recreational only and the Section 107 members may have a better answer, but DJI is an approved LAANC provider. I suspect we will find out when it is built into DJI Go 4 when it pops up much to our delight after an update. Until then - AirMap I guess.
2019-7-22
Use props
frankencopter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

I saw the DJI press release and they say it will be available for "professional" pilots.  I hope it is available to recreational flyers as well as it would be rather short sighted of them to not.    If they were on their game, it would pop up tomorrow as an update.  Other providers, Airmap for example, are all set.
2019-7-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Jovo,

The AMA said that LAANC would be available for recreational UAV flyers in July 23, 2019.  I bookmarked the video and will probably get another video release tomorrow.  If anything shows up I will post it here tomorrow.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-23
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 7-23 02:06
Aloha Jovo,

The AMA said that LAANC would be available for recreational UAV flyers in July 23, 2019.  I bookmarked the video and will probably get another video release tomorrow.  If anything shows up I will post it here tomorrow.

I signed up for email updates from the FAA and I received an email (doesn't help much) this morning that says:

FAA to Further Expand Opportunities for Safe Drone Operations
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) beginning on July 23 will expand the Low Altitude Authorization and Capability (LAANC) system to include recreational flyers. This action will significantly increase the ability of drone pilots to gain access to controlled airspace nationwide.
LAANC, a collaboration between the FAA and industry that directly supports the safe integration of Unmanned Aircraft Systems into the nation's airspace, expedites the time it takes for a drone pilot to receive authorization to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace.
LAANC provides air traffic professionals with visibility into where and when authorized drones are flying near airports and helps ensure that everyone can safely operate within the airspace. The expansion means the FAA has further increased drone pilots’ access to controlled airspace safely and efficiently.
LAANC capability is accessible to all pilots who operate under the FAA’s small drone rule (Part 107).
For updates to LAANC capabilities, visit https://www.faa.gov/go/laanc (edit: I don't know why the names in blue are so dark here but recreation is the very far right blue box. So looks like options for recreational only is Airmap, Kittyhawk and UASidekick)

If you click on the link and scroll down you come to Approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers

The following companies have completed the technical steps required — and entered into agreement with the FAA to provide LAANC Services:

List of FAA approved companies providing LAANC Services       [td]           
Approved Service
Supplier
Part 107 Near – Real Time Authorization
Part 07 Further Coordination
Exception for Recreational Flying/Section 44809

Airbus

AirMap

Altitude Angel

Converge

DJI

Harris Corporation

Kittyhawk

Skyward

Thales Group

UASidekick

= Publicly available service

This list will be updated as additional partners are approved.

2019-7-23
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 7-23 02:06
Aloha Jovo,

Thanks I used Kittyhawk on the 23, because AirMap was not working right but Kittyhawk worked OK. Later that night AirMap must have got there stuff together and started to work also. Works well for recreational flying.
2019-7-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RMJovo Posted at 7-25 14:39
Thanks I used Kittyhawk on the 23, because AirMap was not working right but Kittyhawk worked OK. Later that night AirMap must have got there stuff together and started to work also. Works well for recreational flying.

Aloha Jovo,

Mahalo for the update.  The AMA Governmental Affairs has not put out anything yet, but then they do take their time (and have discussed why they do!).  

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-26
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 7-26 02:31
Aloha Jovo,

Mahalo for the update.  The AMA Governmental Affairs has not put out anything yet, but then they do take their time (and have discussed why they do!).  

Cetacean,
AirMap and Kittyhawk and the LAANC system being allowed for recreational flying is very welcome to me as the area I fly in is 4.7 miles from the airport in class D airspace, and now I do not need to cal the ATC tower , what a wonderful change for the recreational flyers. Hope more recreational flyers  users it keeping the NAS safe..

Fly Safe and have fun.
R.M.J
2019-7-28
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RMJovo Posted at 7-28 14:17
Cetacean,
AirMap and Kittyhawk and the LAANC system being allowed for recreational flying is very welcome to me as the area I fly in is 4.7 miles from the airport in class D airspace, and now I do not need to cal the ATC tower , what a wonderful change for the recreational flyers. Hope more recreational flyers  users it keeping the NAS safe..

Aloha R.M.J,

Have you looked again at the maps for your airspace limitations.  Mine changed from 5 miles to 3.5 miles in an oblong shape (3.5 X 3 miles) from a circle.  I was right on the edge of the 5 miles border.  If I flew up into the mountains, I was safe; the other direction and I was flying into the airfield airspace.  Now it is safe all around.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-29
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 7-29 00:54
Aloha R.M.J,

Have you looked again at the maps for your airspace limitations.  Mine changed from 5 miles to 3.5 miles in an oblong shape (3.5 X 3 miles) from a circle.  I was right on the edge of the 5 miles border.  If I flew up into the mountains, I was safe; the other direction and I was flying into the airfield airspace.  Now it is safe all around.

Cetacean;
My areas are all still 5 miles with areas closer in toward the airport at 200ft max AGL and 400ft AGL father away. Which is OK with me because all the areas I fly in are  400ft AGL. In class D airspace. Very seldom do I go above 250ft anyway.
2019-7-29
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RMJovo Posted at 7-29 05:44
Cetacean;
My areas are all still 5 miles with areas closer in toward the airport at 200ft max AGL and 400ft AGL father away. Which is OK with me because all the areas I fly in are  400ft AGL. In class D airspace. Very seldom do I go above 250ft anyway.

Aloha R.M.J,

Oh, OK.  Just checking.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-29
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://mailchi.mp/airmap/dont-m ... ebinar?e=6873b8fdda

Some of you may be interested in this.....!!

Randy
https://www.facebook.com/aerial.traffica
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules