Blood on the props and it ain't mine!!!
995 15 2019-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

This is a picture of Max and me up the Mourne mountains in Co. Down, Northern Ireland yesterday, he is a rescue dog that I got about two years ago.
This is the first time I had been up the mountains with him, I got a new knee about 18 months ago.

Anyway, Max has a pathalogical hatred of my Mavic Air.  

Since I needed both hands to fly the Air, I had a brainwave, take Max's extendable lead, wrap it around a large rock and sit on the rock.

All went well until the Mavic was about 3 foot from the ground, at that point Max's primeval genes took over and the red mist decended on him.

He bolted for the drone, snaped his lead, jumped in the air and caught the drone in his mouth.  The Mavic had a say in the argument, a prop sliced Max's nose.

In the blink of an eylid I had a downed drone, a bloody faced dog, a snapped lead and almost a heart attack.

Amazingly, all turned out well, the drone was uninjured, just a few teeth marks.  Max licked his nose and probably thought he was licking the Mavic's blood.  

He had that look:  I will find you, I will bite you and I will Kill You on him.

Even the dog lead was ok, its about 3 foot shorter now, and my cardiac moment passed.

Anyway, I learned the lesson to hand launch and retrieve the drone when Max is about.  The picture was after the incident.

Max and me

Max and me
2019-7-21
Use props
Stryker03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206345 ft

United States

Very nice looking dog. Glad al is well with Max and that all is well with the Mavic Air
2019-7-21
Use props
TakeFlite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 780233 ft
Australia

Glad it all turned out well for yourself, the drone and your dog. Backdrop of that picture looks like an amazing place to fly too.
2019-7-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

He perceived it as an enemy lol.
2019-7-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice image!
2019-7-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your story with us and we're glad to know that your dog wasn't hurt so much with the props of the drone. Probably you could take off your drone away from the dog to avoid the incident. Anyway, you have an adorable dog. Cheers!  
2019-7-21
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find my Mavic Air to be a great dog exerciser in the yard! One track mind on my dog. "See drone... chase drone... kill drone!"
2019-7-21
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Glad al is well with Max and that all is well with the Mavic Air. As for your hearth, is it ok?
2019-7-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on the new knee and glad to hear everything went well after it was said and done!
2019-7-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Glad Max was not badly hurt.  Not surprised Max snapped his lead, based on what you say about his extreme dislike of your Mavic Air.
2019-7-21
Use props
Wyc0873
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140253 ft
China

A very brave dog!
2019-7-21
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

I think the moral of the story is to take into account animals as well when flying, not only dogs but cattle, sheep, horses etc.

When flying with Max I hand launch and retrieve and all is well.

Anyway we had a great day out and as I have said everything was OK (Mavic Air has a few teeth marks, but works perfectly, tough little bird).
2019-7-22
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United Kingdom

Glad everything worked out
2019-7-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

great, 2 happy ones on a picture!   looks great that dog   ;-) :-)

happy many landings Dave,

cheers
JJB
2019-7-22
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Well that was definitely a moment to remember.  You and Max are looking happy, in fact, you guys look like an advertisement or a postcard.
2019-7-22
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

A good dog, a good drone! Amazing and great storie. Thx4shrng
2019-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules