Looking for a coiled usb-c to lightning cable
5462 11 2019-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darrins
lvl.4
United States

I really like the DJI extension rod except I need a decent cable to not have such a mess. I’m using now a 1 meter Apple cable. It is all over. I searched online and didn’t find a better solution. What are you using? Thanks for any help.
2019-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day darrins. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members who are using the DJI Osmo Pocket Extension Rod and on what coiled cable are they using. Thank you for you valued support.
2019-7-21
Use props
dronieuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17018 ft
France

I ordered one of these the other day. Hopefully it will work VONMÄHLEN allroundo - Compact Multi Charger Cable for All Mobile Phones & Devices in Black - Cable Management and Universal Phone Charger w/Micro USB Cable, USB A, Type C Cable Adapter, and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N861BN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rVlnDbE2GTKMN
2019-7-21
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

dronieuk Posted at 7-21 11:24
I ordered one of these the other day. Hopefully it will work VONMÄHLEN allroundo - Compact Multi Charger Cable for All Mobile Phones & Devices in Black - Cable Management and Universal Phone Charger w/Micro USB Cable, USB A, Type C Cable Adapter, and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N861BN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rVlnDbE2GTKMN

After seeing what you ordered and the different plug in connectors, I realized I have a couple of tiny female USB-A to male USB-C adapters and there are plenty of coiled USB-A to Apple Lightning cables on Amazon. So I ordered one (2ft stretched). When I receive it and it works with the adapter, I'll post another message.
2019-7-21
Use props
djiuser_8izeIzYkDNzz
lvl.1
Finland

This is harder than what it should be. :/ I wonder what kind of specs are required in order to get this to work? All YouTube videos just recommends random USB-C extension cables from Amazon/Ebay etc, but it doesn't seem to be that easy.

At first I ordered couple adaptors to get USB-C from Pocket -> USB-A cord -> USB-C in my phone. Well it surely failed, probably due to the fact that this USB-A was just USB 3.0, whereas Pocket requires USB 3.1 since it needs a bigger data rate. With this method my phone recognized a device, but DJI Mimo didn't startup or recognize Pocket at all.

Then I ordered USB-C (USB 3.1) extension cord from Ebay, and just received it. However, it's still not working. Now Mimo recognizes the gimball, and even starts up, but for some reason I can't see camera preview in Mimo at all. I can control the gimball etc from my phone screen, but can't see the image. Without extension cord everything works, so the cord must be the reason. And I'm guessing it really is USB 3.1 as now Mimo successfully gets the connection to Pocket, which didn't happen with USB 3.0 cords.
2019-7-22
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_8izeIzYkDNzz Posted at 7-22 06:21
This is harder than what it should be. :/ I wonder what kind of specs are required in order to get this to work? All YouTube videos just recommends random USB-C extension cables from Amazon/Ebay etc, but it doesn't seem to be that easy.

At first I ordered couple adaptors to get USB-C from Pocket -> USB-A cord -> USB-C in my phone. Well it surely failed, probably due to the fact that this USB-A was just USB 3.0, whereas Pocket requires USB 3.1 since it needs a bigger data rate. With this method my phone recognized a device, but DJI Mimo didn't startup or recognize Pocket at all.

Well, an Apple usb-c to lightning cable works perfectly, it’s just kind of messy. I’m now worried the coiled cable I ordered and should receive tomorrow won’t work. Based on your testing.
2019-7-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Charging cables won't work.  You need one that specifically says it is for data too.  Looking on eBay yesterday, it was hard to find one which actually specified data.

It's such a shame that there's no connection point at the handle.  And that won't get fixed in firmware!
2019-7-22
Use props
KMSpun
lvl.1
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-22 13:42
Charging cables won't work.  You need one that specifically says it is for data too.  Looking on eBay yesterday, it was hard to find one which actually specified data.

It's such a shame that there's no connection point at the handle.  And that won't get fixed in firmware!

Good to know. Mine even was titled as "USB-C USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female Extension Data Cable for Laptop & Tablet 2m", but I guess sellers includes all kinds of attractive keywords to those product titles.

Oh well, I guess I'll just try another one. The waiting is just so painful, especially when I can't be sure if I even get what I need. My DIY rig is just waiting for this cable, but summer is soon over.
2019-7-22
Use props
KMSpun
lvl.1
Finland

Update to my issue: I managed to get it to function, sort of. It seems to work even with USB 3.0 cables if you manage to use the bottom port (which I thought was ment only for charging). So now I'm having a cheap UBS-C to USB -adapter, and cheap USB to USB-C cable attached on bottom of Pocket, and it works! But it still doesn't explain why it's not working from the actual connector port.
2019-7-22
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

When I posted this thread I should have added in the title that I was looking for a coiled cable for use with the new extension rod.

This is the cable I ordered: coiled USB cable and this is the adapter I have: adapter

It all works perfectly and now the cable is pretty tidy and not a mess. These pictures show my current setup, except I didn't attach my Zoom H1n microphone for the photos. I apologize for such busy photos, but at least it shows a potential setup you might like.

2019-7-23
Use props
KMSpun
lvl.1
Finland

Ah yeah, my bad, I somehow missed the word 'coiled'!

But yes, it surely looks good, a lot cleaner than normal cables. I might need to look for a coiled UBS-C version, eventhough traditional messy cable fits my messy poor mans rig:
[img][/img]
2019-7-23
Use props
djiuser_NMeIdPXHoa9B
lvl.1

Canada

Just buy a good cable and coil it yourself  , that's what I did. I only needed a short one for my drone remote

2021-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules