Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Regarding ActiveTrack 3.0 and Force Mobile for Ronin-S
12345Next >
35157 179 2019-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

At DJI we value all user feedback. With the launch of the Ronin-SC, we've received questions regarding Ronin-S gaining ActiveTrack and Force Mobile functionality.
We place user experience as one of the highest priorities when it comes to developing our products and we want to ensure the best user experience at all times. We are currently exploring the possibilities of adding these functions and more to the Ronin-S in the future. Due to the vast amount of compatible camera and lens combinations, this will take some time to analyze to ensure it meets our expectations and most importantly, our customers.
We'll update this post with more information as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

2019-7-21
Use props
Ramage
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Sounds like if these new features of the SC are something new or existing customers want they are better off getting the SC.

DJI has a history of not adding new features to older products. I for one will not be holding my breath for any further support for the Ronin S I bought 3 months ago.
2019-7-21
Use props
Tipota
New
Germany

Ramage Posted at 7-21 22:39
Sounds like if these new features of the SC are something new or existing customers want they are better off getting the SC.

DJI has a history of not adding new features to older products. I for one will not be holding my breath for any further support for the Ronin S I bought 3 months ago.

Having bought my Ronin S about 10 Days ago, I might get a bit upset if Active Track would not come for it. The sooner, the better.
2019-7-22
Use props
G-photographer.be
New

Belgium

Also bought my ronin s some days ago.  And i saw these new features in that cheaper model.

Even if i can return my ronin s, i could not use the ronin sc because of the wright that can support.

So maybe i should look for zhiyun crane 3 or  2   cause they do all these features
2019-7-22
Use props
youtube.com/rtrrey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 848038 ft
Canada

We all heard this before and hearing it again, sounds like a broken record on a repeat.

As the saying goes, "TO MUCH TALKING, NOT ENOUGH WALKING".
2019-7-22
Use props
Dizdrumz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141654 ft
Mexico

I agree. Maybe it’s time to look the other way. To other companies.   Bought ronin 1 month ago and feeeling dissaponinted already.   I really hope I’m wrong and they add all the features
2019-7-22
Use props
djiuser_XleVWU2k0R1u
lvl.3
Canada

LOL - all departments must train in deflection...

I received my Ronin S on Friday... i called the 1-800 number right away to start a return process, the lady refused to help me and said i had to email support@dji.com to start the return... so i emailed immediately, and TWO DAYS later i get an email saying i emailed the wrong department and they forwarded on my concern to another department... then after another day i emailed back saying no one emailed me and i was getting concerned that they're taking forever and it may go by the 7 day policy.   THE SAME EMPLOYEE emailed me back to say  "You cannot return it if it's been activated... and how is the condition of the box?..."

I emailed back within minutes stating that the box is perfect and it's still sealed - factory fresh!  ....   this is CRAZY!   My first CALL into your company you should have started my return procedure.

....Frig, if this is your idea of  "service" ... maybe i will just return this device and not get the SC...    wowsers.
2019-7-22
Use props
LTS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41155 ft
United States

In my opinion, the camera on the Ronin-S should not have any impact on ActiveTrack or Force Mobile.

These are app enabled features on the phone that will communicate to the gimbal.  The ability to start/stop video, focus pull, and other features would rely solely on the gimbal to camera connection and should operate independently of the mobile app.

For example, the mobile app may issue a command to the gimbal to focus.  If the cable from the gimbal to the camera does not support focus, the command would fail.  Much like turning the focus wheel would result in no action on the camera.  However, another camera (that supports focus) would receive the command and focus.  

Separately, if the app on the phone is tracking a target and issuing movement commands to the gimbal, these should occur regardless of what camera is on the gimbal.

Sorry, DJI, I'm just not buying the explanation.

2019-7-22
Use props
RJohn
First Officer
United States

LTS Posted at 7-22 10:16
In my opinion, the camera on the Ronin-S should not have any impact on ActiveTrack or Force Mobile.

These are app enabled features on the phone that will communicate to the gimbal.  The ability to start/stop video, focus pull, and other features would rely solely on the gimbal to camera connection and should operate independently of the mobile app.

Totally agree with what you said here.
2019-7-22
Use props
Willhan
lvl.1
Belgium

Maybe the time has come to actively write comments on YouTube reviews?
Don't think DJI cares what we write on this forum
2019-7-22
Use props
mikeev261
lvl.3
United States

Guys- maybe cool the vitriol a bit? As a Ronin-S owner (shooting a Sony A7iii), I feel DJI has made good on virtually all of the promises of the original product. I appreciated their steady release of firmware updates in executing that. I also fully expect them to eventually implement the features that are possible. They absolutely cannot promise that it's coming, especially given how this community can be. Some patience and appreciation is owed to their engineers (these aren't features we paid for originally- remember that).
2019-7-22
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure to sell the smartphone mount that you attach to the hotshoe of the camera.
2019-7-22
Use props
youtube.com/rtrrey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 848038 ft
Canada

LTS Posted at 7-22 10:16
In my opinion, the camera on the Ronin-S should not have any impact on ActiveTrack or Force Mobile.

These are app enabled features on the phone that will communicate to the gimbal.  The ability to start/stop video, focus pull, and other features would rely solely on the gimbal to camera connection and should operate independently of the mobile app.

From my previous post, "Ronin S VS Ronin SC".

I know I haven't been around in this forum that long or replied to any, until now since how upsetting it is to purchase something from DJI a few days before the new Ronin SC came out with the same modes from the Osmo Mobile 1, Osmo Mini, and nothing for the Ronin S which is more costly for us consumers to have, but I have read many posts on here and read many future rumour updates that will be coming for the Ronin S, this is why I made this post from the begining.

This Modes/Features could have been added on the day when the Ronin SC came out, at this point for everyone to know.

I think there might be a bigger picture issue behind the scene with the hardware or chip for the Ronin S. What I am trying to say is? The Ronin S is much larger, holds bigger cameras, The Ronin SC is much smaller, holds smaller cameras, both may look the same from the outside, but could it be different in the inside?

How many times us buyers will here this:
"We place user experience as one of the highest priorities when it comes to developing our products and we want to ensure the best user experience at all times. We are currently exploring the possibilities of adding these functions and more to the Ronin S in the future. Due to the vast amount of compatible camera and lens combinations, this will take some time to analyze to ensure it meets our expectations and most importantly, our customers." Looks like copy and paste to me.

"Due to the vast amount of compatible camera and lens combinations."

Firmware updates for cameras can wait, we all can wait... Modes/Functions from the Osmo, Ronin SC is what Ronin S users want "NOW". Active Track, Force Mobile, FPV Mode is what we all want "NOW".

This is a Question for DJI. why did the Osmo Mobile 1 & 2, Osmo Mini, Drones, The Ronin SC have that the Ronin S don't have? Let me answer that question for you, (Active Track), we want this first before updating any firmware for other cameras.

Too much talking, not enough walking...
2019-7-22
Use props
hmedia
New
Denmark

In this thread from January about tracking feautures for the Ronins S, Mindy from DJI said:

"Hi there, I have got the feedback from our engineer that we will support tracking feature via the future firmware, please note the release notes, thanks for your attention."  

thread-177408-1-1  

I am not allowed to link directly to the forum thread.

2019-7-23
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

For those speculating why it’s going to take a while before we’re able to add these functions, let me try to explain in as simplified terms as I can.

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

During use with ActiveTrack, besides having a mass like a camera and lens combination, we’re suddenly introducing a third large mass into this equation along with a phone mount that’s not completely locked down and relies on tensioned springs to hold the phone in place. This requires a newly designed auto-tune algorithm to ensure there aren’t any weird vibration frequencies not being dealt with after an auto-tune.

With this new setup, we need to test all the various combinations of camera bodies and lenses along with various phones which also vary in weight. Besides just a static balance, it requires us to test these in all angles in which the Ronin-S can operate with a phone mounted. If at any point there happens to be a problem with a combination of gear or position angle, we need to re-write the control algorithms and work around certain vibration frequencies so you don’t see them during normal use. With experience, this could take up to a whole week of tuning just to get past one problematic set up. Now just look at the entire camera compatibility list and think of the monumental task of doing this.

This is the third generation of ActiveTrack that’s smarter and more complex than previous versions. It took a lot of time to tune the movement that’s seen by the phone and translating that to the gimbal and make it look smooth without it being erratic. We took into account the shooting experience and even have deep learning and proposal targets integrated into your smartphone.

Now we could simply turn it on and hope it works, but 99% of the time, this isn’t the case. Why isn’t it the case? The mechanical structure, the control speed, the control bandwidth, and even the processors are different between the Ronin-S and Ronin-SC. I can only wish it were as simple as turning on a switch. It would be a lot less work for us.
2019-7-23
Use props
Shervin Koushan
First Officer
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

G-photographer.be Posted at 7-22 01:41
Also bought my ronin s some days ago.  And i saw these new features in that cheaper model.

Even if i can return my ronin s, i could not use the ronin sc because of the wright that can support.

Does zhiyun crane 3 and 2 have activetrack??
2019-7-23
Use props
LTS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41155 ft
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 7-23 00:47
For those speculating why it’s going to take a while before we’re able to add these functions, let me try to explain in as simplified terms as I can.

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

Let me just say that a post like this goes a long way towards building credibility with your customers.  This is the kind of post that should be put out at the launch of the SC to let people know that DJI has thought about its customer base and has anticipated their reaction to a new product that costs less and has features that those who spent more have been asking for since the launch of their product.

That said, as a consumer, the pattern that has been developed is that DJI will launch a product that is unfinished.  The Ronin-S is a great example of that.  Think of the number of Sony users who were upset about the support the gimbal had at launch.  Think of how upset the Sony users were when you told them they needed a new cable, at a crazy price point, and even then not all features were there. Owners of other cameras have experienced similar issues.  While waiting for that support the users also speak about features that would be nice to have, such as, ActiveTrack.

Along comes DJI and releases a new product that probably meets the needs of a great many of the Ronin-S customers since so many were using mirrorless cameras.  The product costs less, has more features.  The perception to the consumer is that rather than putting in "all hands on deck" to build up the Ronin-S, DJI instead put that effort into launching a new product.

The cynical side of me looks at your response and thinks.  If you were willing to put out the Ronin-S in such an unfinished state, without testing all the camera and lens combinations out there, why does it suddenly matter now?  Now, DJI is going to test everything before releasing it?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the response you have given.  I sincerely hope that DJI is able to follow through and bring the Ronin-S into a state where it is a complete product.  From my singular viewpoint, I will not drop a dime on another DJI product until I see execution of that.  I've supported the company and I think the products are generally very good.  I'd just like to see them be that much better so there's no doubt which company I should deal with in this market space.

There's room for improvement, and I hope DJI takes the steps to do so.  Again, I appreciate your response and hope you carry through on it.  Truly.
2019-7-23
Use props
mikeev261
lvl.3
United States

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

Thanks @DJI-Paul- I'm a fellow engineer and I 100% understand where you're coming from here. Thank you for taking the time to get this right. Personally speaking, I'll gladly wait as long as it takes, especially given that not only my expensive SLR is on top of my Ronin-S, but also my iPhone (in this case). The way you guys are carefully handling this gives me confidence towards buying more DJI products.
2019-7-23
Use props
Tomasher
lvl.1
United States

A feature that should have been ported to S since launch of the SC.
2019-7-23
Use props
Volg.in
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8143 ft
United Arab Emirates

LTS Posted at 7-23 13:58
Let me just say that a post like this goes a long way towards building credibility with your customers.  This is the kind of post that should be put out at the launch of the SC to let people know that DJI has thought about its customer base and has anticipated their reaction to a new product that costs less and has features that those who spent more have been asking for since the launch of their product.

That said, as a consumer, the pattern that has been developed is that DJI will launch a product that is unfinished.  The Ronin-S is a great example of that.  Think of the number of Sony users who were upset about the support the gimbal had at launch.  Think of how upset the Sony users were when you told them they needed a new cable, at a crazy price point, and even then not all features were there. Owners of other cameras have experienced similar issues.  While waiting for that support the users also speak about features that would be nice to have, such as, ActiveTrack.

1000% You are right !
2019-7-24
Use props
Chris_E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243474 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Let's be honest. The Ronin-S will never get that feature because you want people to buy the Ronin SC. I'm totally fine with that, my Ronin S is working properly and I don't need ActiveTrack or ForceMobile. But I hate, when companies lie to their customers promising features that they will never add.
2019-7-24
Use props
Daniiii
lvl.3

Spain

From my point of view, everything you have said does not explain the delay of a new firmware. This is not recent, you have been asking for patience for the development for months, but you don't give anything in return, except to ask for more patience, and continuous 'copy/paste' of reports for the engineers. Months saying the same phrases but without seeing any results.
I expected much more development from DJI, after all, the Ronin-S is still the 'top' of the one hand stabilizers of the brand.

Also, what is the problem with launching firmwares with the work you have already done, with a list of camera/lens compatibility with the new functions, as you have already done with the Ronin SC?
2019-7-24
Use props
Dextera
lvl.1
Austria

Hm ... the same blahblah in a new thread. To support the Fuji Cams is also a never ending story. Just the trigger function. A simple usb-trigger-signal could be done in a few days. NOT MONTHS or a YEAR! I am also a software engineer, with agile planning you KNOW exactly when a feature is ready. This here is only to reassure the users, nothing more.
2019-7-24
Use props
Dextera
lvl.1
Austria

And I‘m talking from a simple USB-Trigger for the Photo-Features like Panorama or Timelapse ... you can not use one Create-Function. (I read that apparently Fuji should be the culprit why Start/Stop should not work on video recordings ... but hell! Give us a photo trigger!)
2019-7-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Daniiii Posted at 7-24 01:24
From my point of view, everything you have said does not explain the delay of a new firmware. This is not recent, you have been asking for patience for the development for months, but you don't give anything in return, except to ask for more patience, and continuous 'copy/paste' of reports for the engineers. Months saying the same phrases but without seeing any results.
I expected much more development from DJI, after all, the Ronin-S is still the 'top' of the one hand stabilizers of the brand.

This post is only going to be about these 2 functions for Ronin-S and the feasibility and progress. Go to other posts otherwise this will get off topic.
2019-7-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Daniiii Posted at 7-24 01:24

Read my post thoroughly again.
2019-7-24
Use props
Gregor Queck
Captain
Flight distance : 1638366 ft
Germany

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

This makes perfect sense and at the same time

shows a costumer friendly solution:
Release both products with the compatible camera/lens combinations (reap the low hanging fruits) with the note, that more compatible camera/lens combinations will be added in a later release.

This makes at least some costumers happy.
2019-7-24
Use props
DareDevil4
lvl.1

Australia

I'm more interested in having the force mobile features added to the Ronin S than the active track 3
2019-7-24
Use props
jaeseong ryu
lvl.1

South Korea

dji seems to update ronin-s after it has sold enough in ronin-sc with new features. That's marketing.
Currently x-t3 is only supported by ronin-sc.
2019-7-24
Use props
akibo
lvl.1
Germany

I ordered the Ronin SC Pro version a few days ago, and while I'm waiting for it, I study the comments here (my first comment) and, of course, the downloadable user manual. There it reads ( on page 7) about Active Track:

" Note that the mobile phone must be positioned in landscape mode for ActiveTrack 3.0 to work properly. Additionally, the mobile phone’s camera lens should be as close as possible to the camera lens."

Probably not only physically close but also a close match in FoV = focal length. This would render Active Track with 50mm and longer (FF equivalent) useless, if I was right. A pity particularly for wedding videographers like me, who know that 80mm  is their lens of choice. Can a zoom feature be added to the Ronin app?
2019-7-24
Use props
fans9f892ead
lvl.1

United States

Is active track on the ronin s? I don’t understand why it shouldn’t be it’s basically the same device. The ronin s cost more. If this isn’t added to the ronin s they will be a lot of people looking at other company’s.
2019-7-25
Use props
fans51aaa104
New

Japan

so in other words, dji wants to sell more ronin-sc before giving us the features, ok thanks
2019-7-25
Use props
Daniiii
lvl.3

Spain

DJI-Paul Posted at 7-24 05:01
Read my post thoroughly again.

All I understand is that trying all combinations of cameras and lenses compatible with the Ronin-S will probably make this firmware update never come.
And as a Ronin-S user, obviously, I don't like this move.

We are seeing that the list of compatible devices with the Ronin-SC will be continuously updated.
Well, what is the problem to do the same with our Ronin-S?
Ok, the two are different: "The mechanical structure, the control speed, the control bandwidth, and even the processors are different between the Ronin-S and Ronin-SC", but I don't understand that with the Ronin-SC it is possible to get a list and update it, and instead, with the Ronin-S it is necessary to try all the camera combinations and even the last lens of the market to launch a firmware update.

I don't remember exactly and I may be wrong, but the last update I think was in March, we are almost in August... You are asking for patience but you have to understand the point of view of the consumer.

Time goes by, the market moves, and probably you are moving too... So, everything smells like Ronin-S2.
I repeat I hope I'm 100% wrong.

2019-7-26
Use props
Rferrand
lvl.1

Spain

"Time goes by, the market moves, and probably you are moving too... So, everything smells like Ronin-S2. "

Unfortunately this is the case for those of us who have been free beta testers
2019-7-26
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

akibo Posted at 7-24 23:58
I ordered the Ronin SC Pro version a few days ago, and while I'm waiting for it, I study the comments here (my first comment) and, of course, the downloadable user manual. There it reads ( on page 7) about Active Track:

" Note that the mobile phone must be positioned in landscape mode for ActiveTrack 3.0 to work properly. Additionally, the mobile phone’s camera lens should be as close as possible to the camera lens."

it is and it isn't necessary. I found that it does a great job of tracking no matter what the focal range is, however, the reason to have the lens as close to possible is parallax errors that might happen in framing. Generally speaking, it works surprisingly well. In fact, you can hide the object indefinitely and bring it back and it will track it.

The real challenge for me is balancing the phone on my rig. My FujiFilm X-T3 is almost too light in fact. I found that mounting the phone with the supplied phone holder too top-heavy to balance. You can balance the tilt pretty well, but forget trying to balance it perfectly. The servo motors seem to handle it regardless, but I found that I offset the weight by using an articulated arm and moving the phone lower. This made balancing much easier. Once you do that, active tracking is simple to use. Just trace the object to track, then let the gimbal do the rest of the work.
2019-7-26
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

Daniiii Posted at 7-26 01:07
All I understand is that trying all combinations of cameras and lenses compatible with the Ronin-S will probably make this firmware update never come.
And as a Ronin-S user, obviously, I don't like this move.

I read on FujiRumors that the Ronin-S has engineers working on it to make it compatible for Fuji cameras.

https://www.fujirumors.com/dji-confirms-ronin-s-will-get-fujifilm-x-support-via-firmware-update/

So hopefully there will be an update for the Ronin-S. I can't see why Active Track or Force Mobile not to be available for it as it's dependent on the phone, not on the Ronin-S. In fact, I understand Force Pro Remote is supposed to work for all Ronin products, which as far as I know is the same technology behind it. The Active Track is all completely dependent on the phone, and probably sending the same Force Pro commands to the Ronin. So perhaps it's a switch with the operating system that needs some conversion, but I can't imagine it being overly difficult to make this feature available for the Ronin-S.
2019-7-26
Use props
meysam.ahangian
lvl.1

Germany

Please Active Track For Ronin S !! Please DJI !
2019-7-27
Use props
BruceRichardson
New

United States

Hi DJI-Paul,

Thank you so much for the detailed post.  I have been agonizing a bit over the dilemma of having literally **just** purchased the Ronin-S, only to see the Ronin-SC feature set.  I need the payload capacity of the Ronin-S, as I am firmly invested in DSLR cameras.  By the way, I am also a Ronin-M owner.  I will restrict my comments to the Ronin-S.

ActiveTrack 3.0

Yes, please add me to the list of people who would benefit greatly from this add.  It is my hope that in whatever capacity you can make that add, that you will do it, and that DJI will commit to it.  I understand that the platforms are different, and there are challenges.  I hope you will personally intercede on the part of Ronin-S buyers who, like me, bought what we assumed was the "new" thing, only to discover days later it isn't.

Force Mobile

I'm curious if the availability of IOS-only for Force Mobile is a hardware issue or a time constraint?  That said, I would like to advocate for adding BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY to as many Android OS versions as possible.  For those of use who use Android phones as monitors/remotes, the NOTE 4 is absolutely the ideal platform due to its size and it's "last of the replaceable battery" status.  With a few (now cheap on the used market) NOTE 4 phones, and a handful of batteries, the number of control and monitoring functions available for a reasonable price is mindboggling.  The NOTE 4 runs Android 6.01.  Please do what you can to support it (the Ronin-S app currently does).  And for all folks here on the forum, hopefully that's a nice tip for you.  When I'm shooting with my Canon 70D, for instance, I can control the Ronin-S with one phone, and use another (via WiFi) to completely control and monitor the camera...pulling focus, etc.  Really a remarkable ability for so little money.

CANON 70D (and various iterations of that model, i.e., 80D, etc)

I hope you will soon expand the control set for this camera and the Ronin-S.  Why?  Because it has so much better remote and focus capabilities (pursuant to my comments above on Force Mobile).  By combining Ronin-S control via Bluetooth, and Canon control via WiFi, the possibilities for DSLR shooters with the Ronin-S is really stunning.

Thank you again, Paul, for responding to this thread.  I will remain very hopeful that DJI takes the Ronin-S seriously as a professional platform, and that it won't be made obsolete rather than updated via software/firmware.  I find that to be somewhat the case with the Ronin-M, which I adopted VERY early, and which I really wish had better battery technology (my two batteries are now dead to the world, hence my emergency purchase a few weeks ago of the Ronin-S for a shoot).  At the buy-in level of these tools, I would like for them to have usable service lives equivalent to bodies and lenses.

Best to you.  Please update us with any word you get.  I will bookmark this discussion.
2019-7-27
Use props
BruceRichardson
New

United States

Hi DJI-Paul,

Thank you so much for the detailed post.  I have been agonizing a bit over the dilemma of having literally **just** purchased the Ronin-S, only to see the Ronin-SC feature set.  I need the payload capacity of the Ronin-S, as I am firmly invested in DSLR cameras.  By the way, I am also a Ronin-M owner.  I will restrict my comments to the Ronin-S.

ActiveTrack 3.0

Yes, please add me to the list of people who would benefit greatly from this add.  It is my hope that in whatever capacity you can make that add, that you will do it, and that DJI will commit to it.  I understand that the platforms are different, and there are challenges.  I hope you will personally intercede on the part of Ronin-S buyers who, like me, bought what we assumed was the "new" thing, only to discover days later it isn't.

Force Mobile

I'm curious if the availability of IOS-only for Force Mobile is a hardware issue or a time constraint?  That said, I would like to advocate for adding BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY to as many Android OS versions as possible.  For those of use who use Android phones as monitors/remotes, the NOTE 4 is absolutely the ideal platform due to its size and it's "last of the replaceable battery" status.  With a few (now cheap on the used market) NOTE 4 phones, and a handful of batteries, the number of control and monitoring functions available for a reasonable price is mindboggling.  The NOTE 4 runs Android 6.01.  Please do what you can to support it (the Ronin-S app currently does).  And for all folks here on the forum, hopefully that's a nice tip for you.  When I'm shooting with my Canon 70D, for instance, I can control the Ronin-S with one phone, and use another (via WiFi) to completely control and monitor the camera...pulling focus, etc.  Really a remarkable ability for so little money.

CANON 70D (and various iterations of that model, i.e., 80D, etc)

I hope you will soon expand the control set for this camera and the Ronin-S.  Why?  Because it has so much better remote and focus capabilities (pursuant to my comments above on Force Mobile) than my 5DmkIII bodies.  By combining Ronin-S control via Bluetooth, and Canon control via WiFi, the possibilities for DSLR shooters with the Ronin-S is really stunning.

Thank you again, Paul, for responding to this thread.  I will remain very hopeful that DJI takes the Ronin-S seriously as a professional platform, and that it won't be made obsolete rather than updated via software/firmware.  I find that to be somewhat the case with the Ronin-M, which I adopted VERY early, and which I really wish had better battery technology (my two batteries are now dead to the world, hence my emergency purchase a few weeks ago of the Ronin-S for a shoot).  At the buy-in level of these tools, I would like for them to have usable service lives equivalent to bodies and lenses.

Best to you.  Please update us with any word you get.  I will bookmark this discussion.
2019-7-27
Use props
Satureyes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well. I understand all the arguments here. It’s frustrating when a new more entry level model appears with added functionality.

However. Let me just say that I can’t stand any form of wireless smartphone integration into any professional device. It rarely works. It cuts out and it’s an absolute nightmare with batteries and charging smartphones.

I had the original Osmo. The unit was totally unusable due to the connection between the app and the camera head. Great device. Terrible connection issues. Take it to an event with 100’s of people and Wifi. No chance.

Then they had the connection kit for the osmo pro. A clusterf**k of cable arrangements and a usb box to get a feed from the camera on the osmo pro (another great bit of kit) but it did the job and the app worked with the cable connection.

Stop worrying and get shooting.  Active track is amazing. Works great on the drones.  I’d say that it’s implementation on the SC will only provide headaches..

The market for the SC is your bloggers/vloggers and what not. If your payload is too great for the SC chances are you’re more serious in your kit and work. Most pro gimbal users have no need  to complicate stuff and mount even more nonsense to their rig.

Let It go people and go make some money from your investments.
2019-7-28
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules