Regarding ActiveTrack 3.0 and Force Mobile for Ronin-S
35266 179 2019-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BruceRichardson
New

United States

Satureyes Posted at 7-28 05:12
Well. I understand all the arguments here. It’s frustrating when a new more entry level model appears with added functionality.

However. Let me just say that I can’t stand any form of wireless smartphone integration into any professional device. It rarely works. It cuts out and it’s an absolute nightmare with batteries and charging smartphones.

I don't know if any feedback from this group would even reach engineering, but provided that firmware updates can be rolled back with success, getting the features into an alpha/beta testing setting would hopefully identify problematic combinations speedily once the basic engineering was accomplished to "turn the features on," so to speak.

Satureyes, I would concur with your assessment of using this kind of feature in an event or concert setting.  I would not be inclined to do that at all.  I've had good success with smartphone controls with my Ronin-M (or really, I should say, with my camera that is mounted on the M).  I improvised a little rig to hold the phone to the chrome rail on the Ronan-M remote control, and by doing so, the camera could WiFi a monitor image to it in a way that gave the remote operator both focus pulling and remote capability.

For narrative, documentary, b-roll, and one-hander "how to" type work, Active Track and Force Mobile seem to be highly enabling technologies (provided they work).  Heck, I'd love to see them go all the way back to the "M," but I have a feeling that ain't happening  :p
2019-7-28
Use props
noflyzone69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yo DJI  
It looks like you have a lot of professional people "PI $$$$ ed " Including myself! Its time you stop with all the propaganda BS and do what is right!  You don't want the force of professionals dogging your name and reputation as it will only snowball into a downward spiral of bad Karma and Fewer sales as other companies will learn from your mistakes and take most of Us away from your profits....   JUst saying !
2019-7-29
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Shervin Koushan Posted at 7-23 02:42
Does zhiyun crane 3 and 2 have activetrack??

Yes, zhiyun crane 2 and 3 has an activetrack equivalent.

It would be a smart move for DJI to add these features to the Ronin-S they would gain major credibility.

The Ronin-SC costs less wouldn't DJI rather sell the S? I can't see anyone buying the S if they don't add these features.

It's been less than a year the Ronin-S has been out DJI abandons their products that quickly!? wow

Actions speak louder than words though, we will see what the future brings for the Ronin-S.
2019-7-29
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

Librebowski Posted at 7-29 07:35
Yes, zhiyun crane 2 and 3 has an activetrack equivalent.

It would be a smart move for DJI to add these features to the Ronin-S they would gain major credibility.

Do you know if the weebill lab has such features?
2019-7-29
Use props
djiuser_t1iW3eJaW0MV
New

Belgium

Yeah...

I’m going to call bullsh*t here...

The ronin app has the ability to send movement commands to the Ronin S since you can remote control it.
Unless mobile force and active track are implemented in some weird unorthodox way, all that happens is that the accelerometer data of your phone (or camera data for active track) is translated to movement commands which are then sent to the gimbal.
As far as all the different camera-lens combinations go, that’s where balancing comes in. I see absolutely no reason why the robin would need to know which camera it carriers in order to do force mobile... If I’m missing something here, please enlighten me...

So no, I’m not buying it...

Edit: typo
2019-7-30
Use props
BenMadrid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 139688 ft
Spain

jeeezzzzz...

I purchased the Ronin S for the features it had at the time I purchased it (like 2 weeks ago). And I would purchase it again. Ppl, you need to understand that you did not pay for any of those features mentioned throughout this threat, and in case DJI decides to go ahead and add any of these, well then you should be thankful for the free add-on service. But I personally find it pretty lame that users keep complaining about missing features that were never promised to be delivered when they first purchased the Ronin S...

I might try that with my local car dealer and ask them for a bigger motor for my car just because the new model they've just thrown on the market has a bigger one ...

Apart from that, the Ronin S has features the SC will never have, like payload for example. Ever thought about that?

Go out there and do what you love, take your Ronin S to get some dope shots .... Because the Ronin S can do that even without Active Track ;-)
2019-7-30
Use props
djiuser_t1iW3eJaW0MV
New

Belgium

BenMadrid Posted at 7-30 04:08
jeeezzzzz...

I purchased the Ronin S for the features it had at the time I purchased it (like 2 weeks ago). And I would purchase it again. Ppl, you need to understand that you did not pay for any of those features mentioned throughout this threat, and in case DJI decides to go ahead and add any of these, well then you should be thankful for the free add-on service. But I personally find it pretty lame that users keep complaining about missing features that were never promised to be delivered when they first purchased the Ronin S...

Please let me explain why I don’t agree with that...

It’s one thing to release a newer product, even if it has new hardware features for a lower price point. That’s called product development...

But what it lets say a certain electric car brand were to have a top of the line electric car (let’s call it the model $) and they decide to make a new model. This new model has different, newer hardware features.
But guess what... it’s little over half the price of the model $... how would the market feel if there were all kinds of new software features that are exclusive to the model that is half the price of the original one, even if they could easily be implemented on said original model?
2019-7-30
Use props
djiuser_t1iW3eJaW0MV
New

Belgium

djiuser_t1iW3eJaW0MV Posted at 7-30 10:56
Please let me explain why I don’t agree with that...

It’s one thing to release a newer product, even if it has new hardware features for a lower price point. That’s called product development...

So you’re not asking your car dealer for a bigger motor... you car already has the bigger motor. You’re asking for a firmware upgrade to enable software features that the cheaper model has and that your model $ is perfectly capable off...
2019-7-30
Use props
unf0rg0tt3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170971 ft
Netherlands

mikeev261 Posted at 7-22 15:19
Guys- maybe cool the vitriol a bit? As a Ronin-S owner (shooting a Sony A7iii), I feel DJI has made good on virtually all of the promises of the original product. I appreciated their steady release of firmware updates in executing that. I also fully expect them to eventually implement the features that are possible. They absolutely cannot promise that it's coming, especially given how this community can be. Some patience and appreciation is owed to their engineers (these aren't features we paid for originally- remember that).

what firmware updates? last one was like march it's august lol.
I own a canon 80D and scrolling the forums people are asking for full support (which even my raspberry pi has with 1 lib). I think DJI has abandoned the S
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI DJI IS GOOD
lvl.2

France

I hope DJI won't propose all the new features for the RONIN S.

I just buy the RONIN SC ans sold my RONIN S. So you have to do the same.

If your setup is too heavy, it's your problem
2019-8-3
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
Spain

there a still some bugs not fixed for the R-S and I would actually prefer those to be fixed before new features are added.

But typical DJI - like always - new product in development - current products go on back-burner or no-burner. Bugs probably wont be fixed until Ronin S2
2019-8-3
Use props
footagelab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15518 ft
Belarus

DJI-Paul Posted at 7-23 00:47
For those speculating why it’s going to take a while before we’re able to add these functions, let me try to explain in as simplified terms as I can.

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

Ok. AT3.0 and Force Mobile needs time because of more heavy payload. It's clear. But what about support of Fuji cameras? This can simply be ported from SC to S.
2019-8-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI DJI IS GOOD Posted at 8-3 00:11
I hope DJI won't propose all the new features for the RONIN S.

I just buy the RONIN SC ans sold my RONIN S. So you have to do the same.

If your setup is too light, it's your problem you couldn't afford a bigger setup.
2019-8-6
Use props
Diz Garcia
New

Mexico

Any updates on this?
2019-8-6
Use props
almacrae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21467 ft
United States

For those speculating why it’s going to take a while before we’re able to add these functions, let me try to explain in as simplified terms as I can.

We just finished the Ronin-SC release and all hands were on deck to ensure a smooth launch. For ActiveTrack to be added to a product such as the Ronin-S, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a properly working function. We need to go through the evaluation process of whether it can even be accomplished. If it can, we need to figure out the success rate and whether there are possible failure points. For everyone using this product, to make it look effortless and work well is actually really, really difficult.

@DJI-Paul - I'd be pretty happy to see my Ronin-S, which right now is sitting on a shelf collecting dust, work with my Nikon Z mirrorless cameras.  DJI listed the Z7 as being a compatible camera and, as we all know, nothing could be further from the truth.
2019-8-6
Use props
almacrae
lvl.3
United States

@DJI-Paul - I'd be pretty happy to see my Ronin-S, which right now is sitting on a shelf collecting dust, work with my Nikon Z mirrorless cameras.  DJI listed the Z7 as being a compatible camera and, as we all know, nothing could be further from the truth.

Personally, I think there are enough folks out there who have purchased the Ronin-S, only to find that it won't work with their respective cameras, that a class action lawsuit isn't out of the question.  I wouldn't lead that charge but I certainly would be a willing participant. As I said, I don't care, at least at the moment, about Active Track with the Ronin-S, I'd be thrilled just to have it work as DJI said it would.  I think it's unconscionable of DJI to leave so many loyal customers in the lurch about this problem.
2019-8-6
Use props
fans912dc5c7
lvl.1
United States

It would be a great new feature for the Ronin S to have ActiveTrack and Force Mobile functionality, because the Ronin S can hold more weight. It would make it way more versatile for Semi Professional  Shoots. We NEED this to happen. If DJI values their customers they will Update the Ronin S. If not they just show they want more money out of already exciting customers. I hope that is not the case here, because DJI is the first place i turn to when i need new gear.  
2019-8-7
Use props
TreonDecember
lvl.1

Cyprus

Even if the explanation addresses active track 3.0 it does not address Force Mobile. Force Mobile controls the Ronin SC using your phones axis sensors, why would that require any kind of adjustment to Auto-tune or even the development of a new algorithm ? Yes it would require some development but its definitely a lot simpler than active track especially since the code has already been written for the SC and would just need some adaptation for the S (unless you wrote SC from ground up which i doubt very much)

If you want to manage your customer relations better you should release Force Mobile for Ronin S and throw Active Track in to the development pipeline. Keep your clients happy. And if you skip those developments for S and go straight to S2 watch your shares drop because there will be a lot of angry Film Makers making Youtube videos about it.
2019-8-8
Use props
Almost
lvl.2
  • >>>
Greece

For the SC that has less payload and therefore it is more sensitive to weight  (cam/lens combinations) the software is ready.
For the S, it needs to be tested.

You could activate the Active Track with a compatible cam/lens list that can work NOW with the app and then do future updates.
After all, this is what you did with other functions of Ronin S, like focus, cam trigger etc.   
2019-8-10
Use props
Loverhd
lvl.1

Poland

Dear DJI-Paul, could you share the current information / status about Ronin-S gaining ActiveTrack and Force Mobile functionality please?  Quite OK if DJI would provide some, even beta version of the new firmware with the functionality. Thanks in advance.
2019-8-13
Use props
youtube.com/rtrrey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 848038 ft
Canada

Loverhd Posted at 8-13 12:53
Dear DJI-Paul, could you share the current information / status about Ronin-S gaining ActiveTrack and Force Mobile functionality please?  Quite OK if DJI would provide some, even beta version of the new firmware with the functionality. Thanks in advance.

As always no response, now they have the new osmo mobile 3 with added features more than the Ronin-S.
2019-8-15
Use props
TheFly67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8087 ft

Belgium

I bought my Ronin S a few days ago, if Active Track would not come for it it's the last thing I bought from DJI. It feel already that the product is in the end of its useful life.
2019-8-17
Use props
DFStudio
lvl.1
United States

DJI Ronin-S owner here wanting Force Mobile but still needing the higher payload capacity.

I don't think the explanation from DJI-Paul regarding ActiveTrack is unrealistic, however, it does not address Force Mobile which does not require the additional payload of the mobile device.
This should not require much work from a development standpoint.

I understand the additional testing and development resources required to add a feature (ActiveTrack) to an older device that may have not been designed to have that feature in the first place, however, the Ronin-S is simply a more robust unit, so the hardware requirements should not be an issue. Fine-tuning? Sure, I can buy that, but I would have to imagine like others have said to just release the firmware with what works right now and then you can work on more models down the road.

But in the meantime, DJI, please just go ahead and add Force Mobile? That'd be swell and would do wonders for the loyalty of Ronin-S owners.
Thanks in advance.
2019-8-17
Use props
djiuser_EMKeh3tCtLde
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can anyone tell me how to make a post on this infernal forum please! Thanks
2019-8-18
Use props
almacrae
lvl.3
United States

TheFly67 Posted at 8-17 03:06
I bought my Ronin S a few days ago, if Active Track would not come for it it's the last thing I bought from DJI. It feel already that the product is in the end of its useful life.

I'd take it back while you still can.
2019-8-18
Use props
Gadget UAV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 498238 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What a major disappointment for all of your Ronin S customers by not providing a firmware update prior to the SC release.

I think your engineers have fallen asleep at the wheel.. Can you get the marketing and sales departments to give them a poke and see if they are awake.  

Maybe worth checking in with customer service to see where their priorities are at as you have just scrapped the resale value of the Ronin S.  Poor form DJI
2019-8-19
Use props
JonnyJambo
New

Germany

Hey DJI,

we need some news ! A lot of people are asking for it.
2019-8-19
Use props
RikDingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2358225 ft
France

Sorry, but we will never get the active track on the ronin S.
2019-8-19
Use props
JonnyJambo
New

Germany

Yeah maybe, but I want to hear it from an employee.
2019-8-19
Use props
djiuser_xJqdkKCAWyeP
lvl.1

United States

maybe DJI don't have the budget/resource to do the work. why don't they open source their code so anyone can contribute?
2019-8-19
Use props
djiuser_um9Una7jiHVB
lvl.1

Poland

Dear DJI,

could you please consider unlocking the ActiveTrack 3.0 and Force Mobile for Ronin-S in its current android application software?
This software is already capable of doing a lot of things in operating (moving) the ronin S.
So unlocked actually already existing (for ronin SC) functionality shall simply just work. At least at keeping the selected subject at the centre of the screen, which is in most cases just enough.

Thanks in advance
2019-8-20
Use props
BuzzLightSecond
lvl.1

Germany

Hello, I bought an EOS-R + 24-105 and DJI Ronin S with focus Motor, now I see Ronin SC has Active Tracking. Can you please Update Firmware to let me use Active Track in my current Set Up ?
Kind regards
2019-8-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Activetrack 3.5 would be great if you can user decide how aggressive the center should be when tracking because the camera does autofocus where the "Spot" is on the screen that when Activetrack creates lag for a more cinematic experience, the focus would be gone.
2019-8-22
Use props
Narek_Nazaryan
lvl.1

Armenia

I Buy Ronin-S after release Ronin-SC, i hope Active Track well coming in Ronin-S
2019-8-23
Use props
BuzzLightSecond
lvl.1

Germany

This thread has over 9k views, I think they noticed that there is a demand for it
2019-8-23
Use props
FW78
lvl.2

Germany

I  have a Canon 5D mkIV with the Canon L 24-70mm F2.8 II. I'm looking for a matching one Gimbal with activ tracking. I had already bought the Ronin S but nogo is that he has no active tracking. Since it is not sure if it is ever refilled I am still looking for a suitable alternative. a great pity because Ronin S would otherwise have agreed. but can not wait forever if the function is refilled. I wonder that this has been neglected since it is such a great feature.
2019-8-26
Use props
fansfeb972c4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141516 ft
United Kingdom

With the below item being posted in the DJI Store does this mean that activetrack 3.0 is coming/available for the Ronin-S??

"The Ronin-S/SC Phone Holder securely attaches to the camera's hot shoe mount to enable ActiveTrack 3.0 and attaches to the RSA port when using the mobile device as a camera monitor, enabling quick access to camera parameter adjustment."

https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-sc-phone-holder?from=search-result-v2&position=21
2019-8-26
Use props
daveande
lvl.2
United States

Please don't hold your breath waiting on DJI to provide active track or any new features to the Ronin S. Hell they can't come up with any fixes for any of there current products. I have several DJI products, starting with the P3P pro. I've had issue with it where it wouldn't respond to the controller. I sent my flight logs to DJI and they didn't have a resolution. There is also  horizon issue that was never fixed.I have not flown now in 3 years. It's too dangerous/.

Ronin M has freaked out a few times. I have the latest firmware and there is no fix for it.DJI Osmo, Horizon issue that's never been fixed. The only thing that I've heard is to reinstall firmware. It doesn't fix the issue. Can no longer use it. Ronin S, Camera support is ,limited. The list has not grown much since it was released.

My 2 cents worth. I'm at the point where I don't plan on buying anymore DJI product since they only half ass work!
2019-8-27
Use props
DJI DJI IS GOOD
lvl.2

France

Hello DJI no thanks for the active on Ronin S.
we will buy a Ronin SC or will wait for your very expansive ronin S 2.
It’s ok for us.
2019-8-27
Use props
dobleuxyz
lvl.1

Mexico

From DJIs website/store:

The Ronin-S/SC Phone Holder securely attaches to the camera's hot shoe mount to enable ActiveTrack 3.0, and attaches to the RSA port when using the mobile device as a camera monitor, enabling quick access to camera parameter adjustment.

Compatibility
Ronin-SC
Ronin-S

I gotta say. This is misleading.

2019-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules