Ronin SC with Sony A7 M3 + 16-35 f4 or 24-105 f4?
14463 17 2019-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

Has anyone tried either of these combos? Would love to know if it works. Seems like the range of motion will be limited on the 24-105
2019-7-22
Use props
HapticRecon
lvl.1
Canada

The Sony 24 to 105 G OSS does NOT work on this gimbal. Even though the Sony a7m3 combo is way under the weight limit. Once the gimbal is balanced and you turn the SC on it just shakes like crazy. When you do the balance test it says all axis need adjustment which they don’t. Really too bad because it’s an awesome lens and should work according to DJI. Oh well, back to the shorter prime lenses ...
2019-7-29
Use props
HapticRecon
lvl.1
Canada

Aha, did finally get it to work after doing auto tune a few times. Then the shake stopped and it passed the balance test. So I guess best to auto tune after each lens change ...
2019-7-29
Use props
JustinJackson
New
United States

Just curious here as I tried setting up my A7R3 and 24-105 lens and found that in order to balance, the camera had to be so far backwards that the range of motion was a problem.  The gimbal kept catching on the eyepiece when trying to rotate down say into flashlight mode.  Anyone else have this issue?
2019-7-30
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Norway

HapticRecon Posted at 7-29 11:34
Aha, did finally get it to work after doing auto tune a few times. Then the shake stopped and it passed the balance test. So I guess best to auto tune after each lens change ...

Thanks for sharing! Did you manage to use it when zoomed in, or only at 24mm? Also, did you have to take off the eyepiece to get it into underslung mode? I wonder if this setup even performs well, when it is so hard to balance it
2019-7-30
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Norway

JustinJackson Posted at 7-30 06:02
Just curious here as I tried setting up my A7R3 and 24-105 lens and found that in order to balance, the camera had to be so far backwards that the range of motion was a problem.  The gimbal kept catching on the eyepiece when trying to rotate down say into flashlight mode.  Anyone else have this issue?

I have heard the same, seen it in some youtube videos as well. You have to take off the eyepiece, which is really weird, since it is listed as compatible
2019-7-30
Use props
pilotwill
lvl.2
United States

Just got the SC to try with my A7iii and 24-105. I had a UV filter on and I was not able to balance the setup. Even pushed all the way back on the mounting plate (where the eyepiece would hit the back gimbal arm) the motors were not able to keep the camera at level. It's definitely close, but I would not recommend the SC with this setup. Even if you're able to balance it with counterweights or something, the motors will really be pushed to the limit, and you absolutely will not be able to zoom.

tl;dr - SC is a little too underpowered and small for the 24-105, returned it to get a used Ronin-s
2019-8-5
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Norway

pilotwill Posted at 8-5 05:57
Just got the SC to try with my A7iii and 24-105. I had a UV filter on and I was not able to balance the setup. Even pushed all the way back on the mounting plate (where the eyepiece would hit the back gimbal arm) the motors were not able to keep the camera at level. It's definitely close, but I would not recommend the SC with this setup. Even if you're able to balance it with counterweights or something, the motors will really be pushed to the limit, and you absolutely will not be able to zoom.

tl;dr - SC is a little too underpowered and small for the 24-105, returned it to get a used Ronin-s

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive review! I am beginning to lose hope in this gimbal. They should really make a medium sized one
2019-8-6
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Norway

Just got the SC to try with my A7iii and 24-105. I had a UV filter on and I was not able to balance the setup. Even pushed all the way back on the mounting plate (where the eyepiece would hit the back gimbal arm) the motors were not able to keep the camera at level. It's definitely close, but I would not recommend the SC with this setup. Even if you're able to balance it with counterweights or something, the motors will really be pushed to the limit, and you absolutely will not be able to zoom.

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive review! I am beginning to lose hope in this gimbal. They should really make a medium sized one
2019-8-6
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

JustinJackson Posted at 7-30 06:02
Just curious here as I tried setting up my A7R3 and 24-105 lens and found that in order to balance, the camera had to be so far backwards that the range of motion was a problem.  The gimbal kept catching on the eyepiece when trying to rotate down say into flashlight mode.  Anyone else have this issue?

Maybe take the eye piece off? Only a few mm but it makes a difference.

2019-8-7
Use props
fans8d7fac7d
New
Russia

Highranger Posted at 8-7 22:02
Maybe take the eye piece off? Only a few mm but it makes a difference.

What is the point if the lens can only be used at 24mm?
2019-8-10
Use props
fans7c2fe5f6
New
Germany

HapticRecon Posted at 7-29 11:34

How did you properly balance the 24-105. Im finding it too front heavy
2019-8-12
Use props
djiuser_uMJXY9scix92
New

United States

Just got the SC to try with my A7iii and 24-105. I had a UV filter on and I was not able to balance the setup. Even pushed all the way back on the mounting plate (where the eyepiece would hit the back gimbal arm) the motors were not able to keep the camera at level. It's definitely close, but I would not recommend the SC with this setup. Even if you're able to balance it with counterweights or something, the motors will really be pushed to the limit, and you absolutely will not be able to zoom.

Hello all,

I thought I was losing my damn mind, as I just bought the ronin SC and this weekend tried like you know what to get the 24-105 to balance.

I kept running into the same problems that you guys had and that you have mentioned, namely, the eyepiece hitting, and or never getting the “pan“ to properly set up.

Does anybody have experience with the same ronin SC but with the tamron 28 to 75?

This thing is 1/3 of a pound lighter, but when balanced, I’m wondering if the eyepiece still hits.

Thanks!
-Bob
2019-11-3
Use props
djiuser_uMJXY9scix92
New

United States

fans7c2fe5f6 Posted at 8-12 14:11
How did you properly balance the 24-105. Im finding it too front heavy

Did you ever get this to work, I’m also finding it to front heavy or the eyepiece hits in the back?

I’m not a fan of  rigging my camera with counterweights. Thanks!

-Bob
2019-11-3
Use props
djiuser_uMJXY9scix92
New

United States

Hello, assuming you have your Ronin S now, can you please report what the performance for the 24-105 is?

Thanks!
-Bob
2019-11-3
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_uMJXY9scix92 Posted at 11-3 14:44
Hello, assuming you have your Ronin S now, can you please report what the performance for the 24-105 is?

Thanks!

A7iii 24-105mm works perfect on the ronin s absolutely 0 issues.
20190930_121242.jpg
20190930_121227.jpg
2019-11-4
Use props
djiuser_y6bz4rkp3qPd
lvl.1

Canada

Well I glad I found this thread because I was beginning to think I was not able balance Ronin and it was my incompetence.
2020-6-7
Use props
Sultan_Figuig
New

Switzerland

Hi everyone !

I still have the issue with my Tamron 28-75 (taking off the eye piece) . The lens is not that big !

Is there a way to balance it and keep the eye piece ?

Thank you.
2020-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules