Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UW Case Port Material?
750 11 2019-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RSW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

This question is for DJI: I received the Osmo Pocket UW case but I have a question about the material used in the port. I was hoping for tempered glass but it appears to be polycarbonate. Can anyone confirm this?

2019-7-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day RSW. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Let me forward this thread/inquiry to the designated DJI department for us to be able to give you the material used on the DJI Osmo Pocket Underwater Case port. Thank you for your patience and support.
2019-7-22
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 249213 ft
United Kingdom

It’s not glass. Such a shame  as the polycarbonate will produce a deterioration in image.
2019-7-22
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

I don’t think tempered glass would be a good idea with such diameter. It brakes quite easier than plexiglass and that would mean instant flooding. It is definitely plastic.
2019-7-22
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 7-22 15:20
I don’t think tempered glass would be a good idea with such diameter. It brakes quite easier than plexiglass and that would mean instant flooding. It is definitely plastic.

Most SLR housings with flat ports use glass an they are larger than the 60mm Osmo port.
2019-7-23
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

fanseba42e89 Posted at 7-22 11:36
It’s not glass. Such a shame  as the polycarbonate will produce a deterioration in image.

... and scratch easily.
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

RSW Posted at 7-23 07:13
Most SLR housings with flat ports use glass an they are larger than the 60mm Osmo port.

That was the case in the past BUT in more recent years, with DSLRs and now mirrorless, more and more companies have switched or added to their selection optical grade acrylics (Hugyfot, Ikelite, Nauticam, Sea & Sea, etc.) for the reasons I’ve mentioned. Also don’t forget, that normally, domed ports have a lens hood that can protect from impact and in the case of flat ports, a filter thread for an additional layer of protection.
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

RSW Posted at 7-23 07:13

That was the case in the past BUT in more recent years, with DSLRs and now mirrorless, more and more companies have switched or added to their selection optical grade acrylics (Hugyfot, Ikelite, Nauticam, Sea & Sea, etc.) for the reasons I’ve mentioned. Also don’t forget, that normally, domed ports have a lens hood that can protect from impact and in the case of flat ports, a filter thread for an additional layer of protection.
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

RSW Posted at 7-23 07:14
... and scratch easily.

I prefer a scratch that 99% of the time will not show underwater than a 1000€ cracked dome with a flooded 2000-3000€ camera on it...

Ps. I am not against crystal ports, they have advantages and disadvantages.
2019-7-23
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 7-23 07:29

The point is that 60mm is by no means too large for a glass port. Standard Nikonos lenses are exactly the same diameter as the Osmo port and they have always been glass. You raise another good point - even a raised rim, as in the case of a filter ring, provides a little protection for a glass port but the Osmo case has nothing. I am dating myself - my first UW camera was a Nikonos II.
2019-7-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

RSW Posted at 7-23 09:02
The point is that 60mm is by no means too large for a glass port. Standard Nikonos lenses are exactly the same diameter as the Osmo port and they have always been glass. You raise another good point - even a raised rim, as in the case of a filter ring, provides a little protection for a glass port but the Osmo case has nothing. I am dating myself - my first UW camera was a Nikonos II.

You are right, the difference is that you will treat a Nikonos (still have mine in the shelf in my mother’s house) with care because it is expensive (although it can take a beating). The OP is a small device and the average customer/ dad will probably not be so familiar with UW equipment, care, handling, etc ;)
Actually there’s a 3d party manufacturer that makes something more ‘professional’ with a 100m rating (can’t post a photo, something is wrong with the forum today) but I haven’t yet to see any review.

2019-7-23
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 7-23 13:24
You are right, the difference is that you will treat a Nikonos (still have mine in the shelf in my mother’s house) with care because it is expensive (although it can take a beating). The OP is a small device and the average customer/ dad will probably not be so familiar with UW equipment, care, handling, etc ;)
Actually there’s a 3d party manufacturer that makes something more ‘professional’ with a 100m rating (can’t post a photo, something is wrong with the forum today) but I haven’t yet to see any review.

I agree that a spherical port, centered on the focal point of the camera, is ideal. However it may very well introduce focusing issues with the Osmo. The first underwater cases for GoPro had domed ports but they threw the focus off so much underwater that it was unusable. They quickly released the flat port housing that eliminated that issue. I have a housing for my Nikon D7200 that has a flat port too even though I use an 18mm lens. I imagine we will see some interesting 3rd-party cases coming out soon.
2019-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules