977 15 2019-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was greatly looking forward to taking my Mavik along on my recent trip to Nova Scotia.  Unfortunately, effective June 1, Canada passed a sweeping new law governing drone operations and imposing a major fine if you didn't comply with the truly burdensome and riduculously extensive new regulations.  Even for someone requesting a waiver to allow for 7 days of drone operation in an uncongested area such as Nova Scotia, the requirements were absurd.  I figured I'd try to apply for a foreign operator permit but didn't hear back from them until I was back from the trip.  But it didn't matter since the requirements they expected me to meet were extensive and unrealistic for a one-time, 7 day trip.  The requirements are summarized in the link below.  I realize the problems SOME drone operators have created, but these regulations are total overkill.  The end result of Canada's new drone law will, I fear, pretty much eliminate the (legal) hobby flyer and will severely impede anyone trying to make money with their drone.  We need to get ahead of this overreaching legislation in the States before it happens here.  Love Canada, love Canadians, hate their bureaucracy.
[url=]https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/publications/tp-15263.html[/url]

2019-7-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate sharing your experience with our DJI Forum. This would be informative to our DJI Forum members who are planning to fly in Canada. Thank you for your support.
2019-7-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bummer - hopefully the new sweeping global legislation will be more drone friendly for UAV pilots alike especially with DJI drones...
2019-7-23
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-23 08:18
Bummer - hopefully the new sweeping global legislation will be more drone friendly for UAV pilots alike especially with DJI drones...

What "sweeping global legislation" are you referring to? If you mean the EASA regulations, that's only applicable to Europe, though I suppose it's always possible Canada might eventually choose to adopt something similar. There is no such thing as global drone regulations, though: just overlap in terms of what gets adopted by various countries (e.g., 400 feet / 120 meters AGL limitations).
2019-7-23
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is good information, thanks for sharing as it shows how regulatory structures are being dynamic in assessing the public / private safety and nuisance aspects of drone use.

With the prospect of commercial delivery drones looming, I am afraid it will be a “Watch this space” type of affair for some time. Collaborative rather than adversarial engagements of policy, user groups and manufacturers will eventually guide it to balance but for now, its all uncharted waters.

I'll read the full offering later this week to get a better viewplane...
2019-7-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 7-23 08:38
What "sweeping global legislation" are you referring to? If you mean the EASA regulations, that's only applicable to Europe, though I suppose it's always possible Canada might eventually choose to adopt something similar. There is no such thing as global drone regulations, though: just overlap in terms of what gets adopted by various countries (e.g., 400 feet / 120 meters AGL limitations).

What I mean is I expect the technology associated with drones to greatly improve such as cellular and satellite capability to expand range and connectivity and with that comes along more liberalization of drone laws globally.
2019-7-23
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

It's not as bad as it look. I'm in Canada. You have 90 minutes to answer 35 questions with a 65% of good answer.  You have access to everything you want on the Internet (Google, etc.). The other thing is that there is so few agents on the ground that I would be surprised that somebody would have any problems unless you are near an airport, a NO NO .
2019-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

ririlan Posted at 7-23 09:08
It's not as bad as it look. I'm in Canada. You have 90 minutes to answer 35 questions with a 65% of good answer.  You have access to everything you want on the Internet (Google, etc.). The other thing is that there is so few agents on the ground that I would be surprised that somebody would have any problems unless you are near an airport, a NO NO .

Is the test online and do you have to pay?  I was struggling to find it.
2019-7-26
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

It will cost you 10$

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ate/exam-basic.html
2019-7-27
Use props
fans18f269d6
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The test in Canada cannot be taken by non Canadian citizens...
2019-7-29
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

So you are free to fly!!!
2019-7-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

ririlan Posted at 7-30 05:33

Im now confused
That site didnt say canadians only but the exam alone doesnt appear to be enough,  it also says -

You must keep proof on you that you’ve retained your knowledge whenever you fly. Standard 921.04 – Recency Requirements outlines acceptable activities, including:
  • attending a safety seminar endorsed by Transport Canada Civil Aviation
  • completing a recurrent drone training program
  • completing a self-paced study program endorsed by Transport Canada Civil Aviation

2019-7-30
Use props
racerx67
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-30 06:11
Im now confused
That site didnt say canadians only but the exam alone doesnt appear to be enough,  it also says -

I registered to take the test. I got a log in and went to do the test. It can only be taken by Canadian citizens.  We need to apply for an SFOC but we have a problem in the UK as we have no certification. registration or licences to fill out the form with. We will need to register by December but now we have nothing unless we are flying for commercial purposes.  I have emailed a few people to see what I can find out as I have not found anyone who has actually taken a drone to Canada from the UK since the new regulations came into place.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/26-0835_BO_PX
2019-7-30
Use props
racerx67
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ririlan Posted at 7-30 05:33

No we need to apply for an SFOC in Canada but that needs registration details or licences for the country you are in. So Americans can use the FAA Part 107 certificate but in the UK we do not have ANY registration or certificates for recreational use.
2019-7-30
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

The requirements for a non-Canadian citizen to fly a drone are here:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-permission-fly-drone-outside-rules.html

Navigating through the website is confusing but I believe they have simplified it for visitors now.

I applied for my SFOC last week.  I am going to Nova Scotia in late September so I'm hoping to have this ironed out by then.
2019-7-30
Use props
racerx67
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Occams Razor Posted at 7-30 12:33
The requirements for a non-Canadian citizen to fly a drone are here:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-permission-fly-drone-outside-rules.html

For Americans its not bad as you can use the FAA Part 107 but we have nothing here in the UK there are no certificates or licences there is no drone registration either for personal use drones to use to apply for the SFOC in Canada.

Quote from that web page..
You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.
2019-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules