Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Impressions & Disappointment with the Ronin SC
7307 19 2019-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moni Johnson
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

First, the bad news...

Only have one thing to say in this section. I cannot use the SC with my favorite setup (Canon 6D Mark II with the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art lens) because the lens is just too long and front heavy to balance correctly and use the SC's full range of motor motion. Basically, like others have complained, having to move the camera so far back to properly balance the front-heavy setup causes the camera to hit the back motor when at certain degrees of tilt.

My solution: Curl up into the fetal position and cry- Wait. Did I type that out loud?!! Never mind that. What I REALLY did was changed my setup. I am using the 6D Mark II with the Canon 24mm f/2.8 IS USM or the Canon 80D with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Either combo allows balancing and full use of the SC and the shots still look as (or close to as) good as with the Sigma 24mm.
---

Now, the good news...
• Balancing with the axis locks is super-easy. I did a balance of my first "workable" setup in less than 3 minues.
• Active Track 3.0 is the bee's knees! Bee's knees, you say?!! I think someone's grandmother used to say that. Anyway, the auto-human detection feature is very effective. I can not only track a subject while I hold the gimbal (while walking around), but I can activate Active Track, triple-click the SC's trigger and start recording myself while the gimbal sits on a table/tripod/stand/etc. This is gonna make vlogging and shooting BTS so much easier, and I don't have to hire a second camera operator. Did I mention this was the bee's knees?!!
• Axis locks (again) make travel so much better as an experience than it is with all the previous gimbals I have had (including the Ronin S).
• There is more but I have to get back to work now, so...

Very happy with my purchase.

2019-7-24
Use props
djiaki
New
United States

That's funny as I also had the same exact setup and went with Sony BUT, Sony's version of Sigma 24 Art also is heavy of course so SC struggles with balancing.

More than anything the app for Android does not work.  I'm trying to get this resolved this week but otherwise, I'll have to return it and when the price of regular Ronin drops perhaps I'll just go back to it.
2019-7-25
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiaki Posted at 7-25 04:47
That's funny as I also had the same exact setup and went with Sony BUT, Sony's version of Sigma 24 Art also is heavy of course so SC struggles with balancing.

More than anything the app for Android does not work.  I'm trying to get this resolved this week but otherwise, I'll have to return it and when the price of regular Ronin drops perhaps I'll just go back to it.

Good info. I prefer Android over iOS but I have learned to keep an iPhone/iPad on the shelf somewhere to work with any products I get from DJI. Seriously, the ONLY reason I have Apple products is for better compatibility (over Android) with DJI products. Smh
2019-7-25
Use props
AVsupport
Second Officer
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have seen Smallrig having an ArcaSwiss baseplate with counterweights.. still considering as I have similar balancing issues with my A7iii in a cage with heavy lenses..
2019-7-26
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AVsupport Posted at 7-26 16:05
I have seen Smallrig having an ArcaSwiss baseplate with counterweights.. still considering as I have similar balancing issues with my A7iii in a cage with heavy lenses..
Definitely was not my goal, but i'm debating now on going all-in and grabbing a complete mirrorless setup to better compliment the Ronin SC.
2019-7-28
Use props
Jondle
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was worried about my 35mm Samyang lens being too heavy. But with some perseverance I managed to get this set up balance. It doesn’t fully tilt back. But happy with it so far.
Sony A7s oi
Metabones adapter
Samyang 35mm lens
Tiffen variable ND filter.  
A912294E-2480-4531-9F5E-E2F3A42A3CDF.jpeg
2019-8-15
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jondle Posted at 8-15 08:59
I was worried about my 35mm Samyang lens being too heavy. But with some perseverance I managed to get this set up balance. It doesn’t fully tilt back. But happy with it so far.
Sony A7s oi
Metabones adapter
[Image]

Yes, sir. The SC can definitely carry the weight of my favorite body/lens combo. But, like you, I can't fully tilt with that setup. I'm now using the SC with the Canon M50 and the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 though, so no worries any longer. Super small and super light setup and the visuals I get are still awesome.
2019-8-15
Use props
Hannibal_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Moni Johnson Posted at 8-15 17:41
Yes, sir. The SC can definitely carry the weight of my favorite body/lens combo. But, like you, I can't fully tilt with that setup. I'm now using the SC with the Canon M50 and the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 though, so no worries any longer. Super small and super light setup and the visuals I get are still awesome.

Nice...
Very nice....

That m50 looks, in terms of specs, like a 80D plus 4K video?
Looks tempting...
Very tempting....?

I saw one review of somebody complaining that when you shoot photo's in rapid succession, the oculair OLED screen was black to long (to his liking).
What is your experience? Or do you only shoot video.

And... I saw no adapter for EF lenses? Isn't that available?
2019-8-19
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-19 02:45
Nice...
Very nice....

I only shoot video. I seem to have noticed more rolling shutter with the M50 over the 80D, but I haven't completely tested my results yet.  Also, it has no real-time audio level monitoring while recording. Otherwise, the M50 has been very good to me.

There are Ef to Ef-m adapters available. They're are also 0.71 Speedboosters available. I have one of each and I am quite happy with the results of both. Keep in mind, they work only with EF lenses, not EF-S.
2019-8-19
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sony A7s oi
Metabones adapter
[Image]

I was able to get the Canon 6DMKII with the Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art properly balanced with full-range motion on the Ronin SC, but adding a variable ND filter threw off the front-end weight so much that I had to move the camera further back (losing the full-range I previously had). I have an idea to get around that issue though. I'll post back if I figure it out.
2019-8-20
Use props
Hannibal_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

Cool man...

That speedbooster, is that the “metabones” brand?
Never heard of it, but it looks magical.
A stop extra light? Wow...

Hmmm you actually see the rolling shutter effect? Not sure i like that.

Glad to hear adapters are available for EF.
The majority of my lenses are EF.

Yeah, I understand the filter issue, I even find moving the small bold to secure the position of the camera balance to disrupt the balance slightly.
Lol...
It is not like that would disrupt usability or so, but still, it is very sensitive

I am mc gyvering a bit to get my powerzoom in there too (along with the video zoom lens).
Zooming will disrupt balance of course, but when using onlu panning on a tripod... well... we will see ;)

2019-8-22
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-22 11:56
Cool man...

I got the Viltrox brand of speedbooster. It does degrade the image slightly. I assume the one by Metabones would be higher quality, but that is only an assumption.
2019-8-22
Use props
milkod2001
New
Ireland

Sony A7s oi
Metabones adapter

Looks good. There is Sony 35 1.8 incoming,  small, compact lens in size of 55 1.8. It would make your setup much lighter. Not sure if better if you prefer MF though.
2019-8-26
Use props
Jondle
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-22 11:56
Cool man...

It's a Metabones adapter. The lens is an EF lens. Its the cheaper end of the two available but works brilliantly.
2019-8-27
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.3
Canada

Sony A7s oi
Metabones adapter
[Image]

OMG. Please pull off the protective plastic!!!!!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   OCD activated!!!!!!!!
2019-9-2
Use props
Jondle
lvl.1

I'm deliberately keeping it on now, just for your OCD.
2019-9-18
Use props
NavyA6
New

United States

Moni Johnson Posted at 8-15 17:41

Hello Moni.... I'm new to videography.   I just purchased the M50 with the Ronin SC.   DJI shows it being compatible, however the Ronin cable to the M50 body appears obstruct the gimbal movement.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2019-11-9
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

NavyA6 Posted at 2019-11-9 07:35
Hello Moni.... I'm new to videography.   I just purchased the M50 with the Ronin SC.   DJI shows it being compatible, however the Ronin cable to the M50 body appears obstruct the gimbal movement.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply. Get the small bracket that fits on the right arm and a counter-weight. Then, you can move the M50 further to the left. Look for the bracket I am referring to on eBay, Amazon, from SmallRig and possibly on the DJI store. I know it comes with the whole L-bracket kit but you don't need the whole kit. The bracket and counterweights look like the attached photo.
2020-1-24
Use props
Janith Shanilka
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

What settings are you running on canon m50, cuz my record button on the ronin SC is not working even when the cable is correctly plugged in the app.
Yes, both the camera and ronin SC are running updated firmware.

Can you let me know what setting should the camera be in the Movie or ...

Thanks
2020-12-14
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Janith Shanilka Posted at 12-14 10:13
What settings are you running on canon m50, cuz my record button on the ronin SC is not working even when the cable is correctly plugged in the app.
Yes, both the camera and ronin SC are running updated firmware.

Sorry. I no longer have the M50 or the SC, so I cannot check this for you. Running the R5 with the RS2 now.
2020-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules