Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Water proof case for Osmo pocket
12Next >
5941 45 2019-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vidjcb
Captain
Flight distance : 13236237 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dear Forum,

I was snorkeling few weeks ago and I used my Osmo Action:

As you can see, the shacking is inevitable, so I wonder if some of you guys know any Osmo Pocket water proof case that should work on this device

Thanks,

VIDJCB
2019-7-24
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Just got my DJI Osmo Pocket waterproof case this morning.  Can't wait to try it out.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-waterproof-case?

Nice spot for video you found.  
2019-7-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The waterproof case for the Osmo Pocket has been released in our store and it's compatible with the Osmo Pocket only. However, the official waterproof case for the Osmo Action hasn't been released. We would recommend paying attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.
2019-7-24
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-24 10:09
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The waterproof case for the Osmo Pocket has been released in our store and it's compatible with the Osmo Pocket only. However, the official waterproof case for the Osmo Action hasn't been released. We would recommend paying attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind quick response.

My bad, I found it

I just order it and I'll promise a new video as comparison with the original one taken with my Osmo Action.

Sorry for causing confusion and thanks everyone for reading this thread.

Best,

VIDJCB
2019-7-24
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 7-24 09:40
Just got my DJI Osmo Pocket waterproof case this morning.  Can't wait to try it out.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pocket-waterproof-case?

Thanks!

I'll be definitely is a real advantage having a gimbal under the sea.

Best,

VIDJCB

PS: Please share us some footage as soon as you start using it
2019-7-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Vidjcb Posted at 7-24 10:30
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind quick response.

We're glad that you've found the accessory that you need. You're most welcome. Cheers!
2019-7-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is shaky indeed.
Does the 'action' have electronic stabilization?
2019-7-25
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-25 13:04
It is shaky indeed.
Does the 'action' have electronic stabilization?

Yup, they call that Rocksteady. But it's different from walking to diving =)
2019-7-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Vidjcb Posted at 7-25 15:50
Yup, they call that Rocksteady. But it's different from walking to diving =)

Ok. So that won't work under water?
2019-7-26
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

The Osmo’s (Action) RS will work much better than the Pocket’s limited gimbal stabilization on the UW Mode. Obviously the person diving must understand some basic hydrodynamics to avoid shakiness. The video posted is the perfect example. It seems that the operator is using his free hand to move underwater while his lungs are full of air in shallow waters (no volume compression). Trying to dive using the legs to move forward (fins would help) and a tad deeper would have resulted in a much smoother experience.
2019-7-27
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 7-26 12:02
Ok. So that won't work under water?

Yes, it would work if the diver aka “camerafish”, would be more experienced using the snorkel. lol
2019-7-27
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 7-27 09:32
The Osmo’s (Action) RS will work much better than the Pocket’s limited gimbal stabilization on the UW Mode. Obviously the person diving must understand some basic hydrodynamics to avoid shakiness. The video posted is the perfect example. It seems that the operator is using his free hand to move underwater while his lungs are full of air in shallow waters (no volume compression). Trying to dive using the legs to move forward (fins would help) and a tad deeper would have resulted in a much smoother experience.

Well, yes not only for RS but also because the camera itself is more narrow than the Osmo Pocket within a bulky waterproof case.

Thanks for commenting.
2019-7-27
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Portugal

Vidjcb Posted at 7-27 13:04
Well, yes not only for RS but also because the camera itself is more narrow than the Osmo Pocket within a bulky waterproof case.

Thanks for commenting.

Honestly even if you’ve followed all of the above, the gimbal seems to be quite limited when using the UW Mode/case so I don’t think there’s much you could do... it is a design flaw imo.
2019-7-28
Use props
kazcow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The OW case have its issues for underwater scuba use.

1. The o-ring - neither safe or correct for deep dives. The o-ring on mine is actually slightly too small (diameter) - and I would have used a slightly larger width as well - and you can not see the o-ring when you screw the top cover on. That might lead to you closing the top over the o-ring. It took several tries before i could close it with the o-ring still in place.

2. no access to any manual OR change of settings. You need to put the OP in the settings you think you need before you put it in the case.

Other issues:
No extra o-rings are included - you WILL loose or damage the o-ring at some point.
No o-ring grease used or included

The current OP UW Case is a toy for the beach.

But for that it works fine and keeps the sand and water out IF you get the o-ring settled correct.

But taking it to 60m scuba dive... Well that might become an expensive adventure.
2019-8-3
Use props
DaMa
Captain
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 7-28 12:43
Honestly even if you’ve followed all of the above, the gimbal seems to be quite limited when using the UW Mode/case so I don’t think there’s much you could do... it is a design flaw imo.

I do not see any need to switch to UW mode. Works great in normal mode, the picture is a bit smoother and you can go to "recenter" if you need. The picture quality is as usual – 1A.
Unfortunately, the housing came after the vacation. I did the tests in my 600 l aquarium. September and Christmas/New Year is my head under water ... Mauritius ...
Something bothered me a lot, cut off and now the ring screws much better ...
IMG_4265.JPG
2019-8-4
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kazcow Posted at 8-3 11:17

1. The o-ring - neither safe or correct for deep dives. The o-ring on mine is actually slightly too small (diameter) - and I would have used a slightly larger width as well - and you can not see the o-ring when you screw the top cover on. That might lead to you closing the top over the o-ring. It took several tries before i could close it with the o-ring still in place.

Thanks for commenting!

The O-Ring is the clue.

Hopefully we will find this important spare available.

Best,

VIDJCB
2019-8-5
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DaMa Posted at 8-4 22:54
I do not see any need to switch to UW mode. Works great in normal mode, the picture is a bit smoother and you can go to "recenter" if you need. The picture quality is as usual – 1A.
Unfortunately, the housing came after the vacation. I did the tests in my 600 l aquarium. September and Christmas/New Year is my head under water ... Mauritius ...

Quick question: Can you re-use the anti-fog tapes? I bough in advance generic tapes for my Insta360 X camera case. Yet pending to test the OP and the Insta360.

Best,

VIDJCB
2019-8-5
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Quick question: Can you re-use the anti-fog tapes? I bough in advance generic tapes for my Insta360 X camera case. Yet pending to test the OP and the Insta360.

Best,

VIDJCB
2019-8-5
Use props
DaMa
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Vidjcb Posted at 8-5 04:04

Best,

No idea. I do not use them because the Water in my tank is 78.8 °F – nearly the same as room temperature.. Had no problems during filming.
2019-8-5
Use props
fanseba42e89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 249213 ft
United Kingdom

DaMa Posted at 8-5 04:16
No idea. I do not use them because the Water in my tank is 78.8 °F – nearly the same as room temperature.. Had no problems during filming.

You can re-use them. Dry them out in a warm oven for a few hours, or leave in the sun. make sure you store them air tight once dried.
2019-8-5
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanseba42e89 Posted at 8-5 04:27
You can re-use them. Dry them out in a warm oven for a few hours, or leave in the sun. make sure you store them air tight once dried.

Thanks for confirming. I’ll do that.

Best,

VIDJCB
2019-8-6
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Interesting... how was the ‘shakiness’? Can you post a video sample?
2019-8-6
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Something bothered me a lot, cut off and now the ring screws much better ...[Image]

2019-8-6
Use props
DaMa
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 8-6 06:53

Shure, but not here, only per Mail. Can't write anything in your PM ? Why ?Can’t upload videos here...
2019-8-6
Use props
ALEK80
New

Italy

i unfortunely lost my osmo 'cause water came inside the case.
Be sure to tighten hard the ring.

Last setting i was trying was to discard the normal underwater setting and put the osmo in:
- follow mode;
- fast tracking;
- put the osmo in, close (hard) and switch on with the glass perpendicular to the ground.

It seems to me working sooooo much better with a lot more stabilization without black corner at all.

Let's try and see how it work
2019-8-8
Use props
fansac2248e1
Flight distance : 5958 ft
  • >>>
Canada

kazcow Posted at 8-3 11:17

1. The o-ring - neither safe or correct for deep dives. The o-ring on mine is actually slightly too small (diameter) - and I would have used a slightly larger width as well - and you can not see the o-ring when you screw the top cover on. That might lead to you closing the top over the o-ring. It took several tries before i could close it with the o-ring still in place.

I have the same issue with a slight too small o-ring. So this case IS NOT waterproof. For now, it is only splash proof
2019-8-8
Use props
DaMa
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

For me, a 2 x 57 mm ring is installed. The possible ring-pressure-way is 0.3-0.4 mm. Absolutely OK.
I do not turn the ring more than 30° after the stop. Many tests done in my aquarium (critical zone because low water pressure) without water ingress. Do not tighten up when you are in 10-20-30-40 m deep, it may not be possible to unscrew at the top.
2019-8-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Vidjcb Posted at 7-27 13:01
Yes, it would work if the diver aka “camerafish”, would be more experienced using the snorkel. lol

Gheghegheghe.
2019-8-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is shaky but still impressive to capture underwater footage
2019-8-12
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-12 11:09
That is shaky but still impressive to capture underwater footage

Thanks. It’s a matter of learning to dive with snorkeling  
2019-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Vidjcb Posted at 8-13 01:54
Thanks. It’s a matter of learning to dive with snorkeling

All worth it though - great fun
2019-8-13
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-24
Use props
Vidjcb
Captain
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-24 19:16
Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!

Thanks a lot! Appreciate your support. And you are very welcome
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vidjcb Posted at 8-25 02:02
Thanks a lot! Appreciate your support. And you are very welcome

You bet
2019-8-25
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68179 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

I agree with kazcow estimate: this box is absolutely not fit for SCUBA diving. Locking system is pathetic as are buttons and O-ring is totally unsuitable for anything other than splash/rain protection. I will try to find and try some replacement O-ring but in it's current form this box is just a waste of money. Do not use it: after all, it's better to have camera and no footage than no camera and no footage

DJI should have outsourced UW box to some company with well-established reputation for underwater equipment like Ikelite.
2019-9-1
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Lyagukh Posted at 9-1 03:19
I agree with kazcow estimate: this box is absolutely not fit for SCUBA diving. Locking system is pathetic as are buttons and O-ring is totally unsuitable for anything other than splash/rain protection. I will try to find and try some replacement O-ring but in it's current form this box is just a waste of money. Do not use it: after all, it's better to have camera and no footage than no camera and no footage  

DJI should have outsourced UW box to some company with well-established reputation for underwater equipment like Ikelite.

Having read the thread it’s hard not to agree but as good as an Ikelite housing would no doubt be, it would cost far more than the £49 currently being asked!  Probably wouldn’t leak either though.

I had planned to get the DJI housing but am thinking about an Action or a GP 7, or maybe an 8 depending on how it looks.  Won’t need it until mid- Nov.

2019-9-1
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68179 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7 Posted at 9-1 04:53
Having read the thread it’s hard not to agree but as good as an Ikelite housing would no doubt be, it would cost far more than the £49 currently being asked!  Probably wouldn’t leak either though.

I had planned to get the DJI housing but am thinking about an Action or a GP 7, or maybe an 8 depending on how it looks.  Won’t need it until mid- Nov.

49 pounds you say? Sorry, it is far more than that. You should add the cost of your Osmo Pocket which will get drowned and also the cost of the footage which you might have shot during that last dive

In software engineering there is a proverb: "If your software does not work, no matter how fast it runs". Same here I'm afraid...
2019-9-1
Use props
mphan
lvl.1

Took my osmo pocket on vacation and tried to use this underwater case the first time.  The O-ring is impossible to put on.  It keeps popping back out when you try to screw the cap back on.    You do not know if it is installed properly.  Unfortunately my osmo pocket is not a dead weight.  I wish i had seen this post before I bought the case.  DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!  I thought i was the only one experiencing this until i found this forum.   Below is my video on how this o-ring pops out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBIwOS93yh4&list=UUYG2CMMCpD2WdzMG2mhzX5g&index=1
2019-9-11
Use props
thortschman
lvl.3

Thankfully I waited to see something like that, as my summer vacation happend anyway bevor this thing was released.
So why there was such a big delay and they where not able to fix this?? No understanding. I mean I love the Pocket, but for underwater filming I will stay at this other big manufacturer starting with G****.

Thank you for this useful video.

DJI please give us your opinion. Are you staying behind such a product design?
2019-9-12
Use props
malmatrook
lvl.1

I tried the DJI OSMO Pocket Underwater case for the first time this weekend.  As soon I entered the sea from the boat without jumping, I tried to turn on my OSMO Pocket  for several time but it did not work.  Thus, I had to keep it on the boat and check it after my dive.  When I came back from my dive, I opened the underwater case and to my surprise I found little water at the bottom of the case.  I took my OSMO Pocket to the workshop yesterday after failing attempt to revive it.  I am waiting for feedback from the workshop.

Thank you
2019-9-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules