Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin SC Pro Combo External Focus Motor not connecting
18162 35 2019-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

I purchased the Pro combo Ronin SC that included the external focus motor and followed the few directions provided to get it set up, but no matter what I try, I'm unable to have the focus motor connect to the gimbal/focus wheel down on the hand grip. Both are just blinking red still. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I'm working with a Sony A7rii – the camera control (start/stop recording) works when attached so the cables seem to be working fine
2019-7-25
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

I found that if I used the wrong cable it didn't work for me. Make sure you use the multi-spitter cable. Then when you turn it on, double tap the button on the focus wheel to calibrate.
2019-7-25
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

Hmm, I'm using the multi splitter – When you turned it on after connecting, did the lights still blink red? I double tapped the button on the focus wheel and it didn't do anything
2019-7-25
Use props
GURU9
lvl.1
China

Blink red is means No Found Motor.
Type-c Camera is connect to middle connector above the  multi splitter.
And on side Type-c is connect the Moter, Other side Type-c connect  the hand grip.
Tye again ?
2019-7-25
Use props
GURU9
lvl.1
China

JayCrawford Posted at 7-25 13:33
Hmm, I'm using the multi splitter – When you turned it on after connecting, did the lights still blink red? I double tapped the button on the focus wheel and it didn't do anything

solid yellow: found moter ,but no calibration.
single yellow blinking: being travel calibrated.
solid green:   found moter with travel calibration complete or found camera.
single green blinking:  set a point.
double green blinking: set a-b point complete.  Now rotate the wheel, traval will from a-b or b-a point only. If you click buttom again,two point will be delete. The led will be solid green.
2019-7-25
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

JayCrawford Posted at 7-25 13:33
Hmm, I'm using the multi splitter – When you turned it on after connecting, did the lights still blink red? I double tapped the button on the focus wheel and it didn't do anything

When I turn it on it gives me a solid yellow to indicate it needs calibrating.

Don't connect the camera to the multi-splitter and start it up and see if you get at least the solid yellow light. If that doesn't work, check the switch at the bottom the focus wheel, and make sure it's on S-Bus, not on Can. Then turn it all on again and see if it works for you.
2019-7-25
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

GURU9 Posted at 7-25 14:42
Blink red is means No Found Motor.
Type-c Camera is connect to middle connector above the  multi splitter.
And on side Type-c is connect the Moter, Other side Type-c connect  the hand grip.

Yeah, that's how I have it connected – the labels are pretty clearly labeled
(TO SONY) Multi - that's plugged into my Sony a7rII
(TO FOCUS MOTOR) USB-C - that's plugged into the focus motor next to the camera lens
(TO GIMBAL) USB-C – that's plugged into the gimbal arm just under where the camera is mounted
2019-7-25
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

Kinematic Digit Posted at 7-25 15:00
When I turn it on it gives me a solid yellow to indicate it needs calibrating.

Don't connect the camera to the multi-splitter and start it up and see if you get at least the solid yellow light. If that doesn't work, check the switch at the bottom the focus wheel, and make sure it's on S-Bus, not on Can. Then turn it all on again and see if it works for you.

Weird, yeah no luck – I've tried all kinds of stuff. Turning things on in different order, plugging them in in different order, switching to both S-Bus and Cam and still stuck with the red light. Tried without the camera plugged in as well
2019-7-25
Use props
djiuser_0GXwlWhnTH9G
lvl.1

United States

I am in the same boat with a sony a6500
2019-7-25
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

JayCrawford Posted at 7-25 17:32
Weird, yeah no luck – I've tried all kinds of stuff. Turning things on in different order, plugging them in in different order, switching to both S-Bus and Cam and still stuck with the red light. Tried without the camera plugged in as well

I feel like your cable is defective. I’ve tried different USB cables myself and none of them work but that multi-splitter one. I have no idea what is special about that cable but it’s the only one that works for me.

Have you tried the other side of the grip to see if the connections on that side might make a difference? That’s about all I have left to suggest. Obviously contact support and see about getting a new cable.
2019-7-25
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.1
Canada

JayCrawford Posted at 7-25 17:32
Weird, yeah no luck – I've tried all kinds of stuff. Turning things on in different order, plugging them in in different order, switching to both S-Bus and Cam and still stuck with the red light. Tried without the camera plugged in as well

I feel like your cable is defective. I’ve tried different USB cables myself and none of them work but that multi-splitter one. I have no idea what is special about that cable but it’s the only one that works for me.

Have you tried the other side of the grip to see if the connections on that side might make a difference? That’s about all I have left to suggest. Obviously contact support and see about getting a new cable.
2019-7-25
Use props
djiuser_0GXwlWhnTH9G
lvl.1

United States

I have a similar issue with a a6500 and the sony 50 /1.8 lens. I have tried to use both the CAN and the SBUS selection. I also tried the unplugging of the camera and still no use. Sometimes the SC motor goes to a solid green but when I turn the wheel nothing happens. If I double click to try to go to calibration nothing happens. I called support in the morning and they did not provide any help, just pointed me to this page and said watch teh video, what video ?
2019-7-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi JayCrawford, sorry for the troubles on connecting the Focus Wheel and Focus Motor, may we have a short video of how you connect including the cable you used for further verification? Thank you in advance.
2019-7-26
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

Kinematic Digit Posted at 7-25 20:48
I feel like your cable is defective. I’ve tried different USB cables myself and none of them work but that multi-splitter one. I have no idea what is special about that cable but it’s the only one that works for me.

Have you tried the other side of the grip to see if the connections on that side might make a difference? That’s about all I have left to suggest. Obviously contact support and see about getting a new cable.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking – defective motor or cable

I sent them a message yesterday so I'll see what happens

thanks for your help!
2019-7-26
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_0GXwlWhnTH9G Posted at 7-25 21:03
I have a similar issue with a a6500 and the sony 50 /1.8 lens. I have tried to use both the CAN and the SBUS selection. I also tried the unplugging of the camera and still no use. Sometimes the SC motor goes to a solid green but when I turn the wheel nothing happens. If I double click to try to go to calibration nothing happens. I called support in the morning and they did not provide any help, just pointed me to this page and said watch teh video, what video ?

hahaha yeah, there was zero information anywhere for the external focus motor other than the small pamphlet in the box

I was looking all over for a video when I was installing it
2019-7-26
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-26 01:25
Hi JayCrawford, sorry for the troubles on connecting the Focus Wheel and Focus Motor, may we have a short video of how you connect including the cable you used for further verification? Thank you in advance.

Yeah! of course – here's a video of how everything's connected and me turning them on/ trying to troubleshoot a bit

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjbm84m96mwf5gw/IMG_3541.MOV?dl=0
2019-7-26
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

JayCrawford Posted at 7-26 07:39
hahaha yeah, there was zero information anywhere for the external focus motor other than the small pamphlet in the box

I was looking all over for a video when I was installing it

I know what you mean. I did find this which was less than what came in the box but easier to read
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/Ronin_SC_Focus_Motor_User_Guide_v1.0.pdf
2019-7-26
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

JayCrawford Posted at 7-26 08:12
Yeah! of course – here's a video of how everything's connected and me turning them on/ trying to troubleshoot a bit

Here is my issue which seems same as yours
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/244eh0z5mtd13nssbmgsq/IMG_6340.MOV?dl=0&new_user=1&oref=e&r=AA-B6JHV10_Qy4a5WTNyVRWGHHUgNZew8STNN8i-BnumLJgJEOadwdYycZsIzcelHlKIJX8nmwfRuJEPB5uLF4TlC4GYNRj68L5qM-AfX4lctPDrtKt3AkDJ8d6hdx_LC3HV3esquNZCg77ateOZzkLVbIsE4PP3COBvM6KTS6dl0nLFm9g12WMJN0X2u5AMYvcVkANffOO9QAwm6ZI1-ZjT&sm=1
2019-7-26
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

Califi Posted at 7-26 09:27
I know what you mean. I did find this which was less than what came in the box but easier to read
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin_SC/Ronin_SC_Focus_Motor_User_Guide_v1.0.pdf

haha bigger illustrations!
2019-7-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JayCrawford Posted at 7-26 08:12
Yeah! of course – here's a video of how everything's connected and me turning them on/ trying to troubleshoot a bit

Thanks for the video, the issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will come back to you soon. Please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-7-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Califi Posted at 7-26 09:28
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/244eh0z5mtd13nssbmgsq/IMG_6340.MOV?dl=0&new_user=1&oref=e&r=AA-B6JHV10_Qy4a5WTNyVRWGHHUgNZew8STNN8i-BnumLJgJEOadwdYycZsIzcelHlKIJX8nmwfRuJEPB5uLF4TlC4GYNRj68L5qM-AfX4lctPDrtKt3AkDJ8d6hdx_LC3HV3esquNZCg77ateOZzkLVbIsE4PP3COBvM6KTS6dl0nLFm9g12WMJN0X2u5AMYvcVkANffOO9QAwm6ZI1-ZjT&sm=1

Hi Califi, sorry to know you have the same problem, I have requested the access to the video, please approve it, thank you.
2019-7-27
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-27 00:19
Hi Califi, sorry to know you have the same problem, I have requested the access to the video, please approve it, thank you.

Hi I have goiven you access, please let me know yo can access it. I seriously think its the motor that needs replacing.
2019-7-28
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

Califi Posted at 7-26 09:28

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v11dwuts2wiryz/IMG_6340.MOV?dl=0
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi JayCrawford, our engineer has checked the video and we have arranged our support team to contact you for further assistance, please note the email later, thank you.
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Califi Posted at 7-28 16:25
Hi I have goiven you access, please let me know yo can access it. I seriously think its the motor that needs replacing.

Thank you, let's continue in your own thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-194553-1-1.html
2019-7-29
Use props
JayCrawford
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-29 00:19
Hi JayCrawford, our engineer has checked the video and we have arranged our support team to contact you for further assistance, please note the email later, thank you.

Great! I believe I got that email so I'll follow up with them
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JayCrawford Posted at 7-29 11:50
Great! I believe I got that email so I'll follow up with them

Alright, please let me know if you need any further assistance.
2019-7-30
Use props
emanuel_11
lvl.1

I have the same issue with my Ronin SC. The Focus control keeps blinking red. I did the firmware update but no success in being able to calibrate the focus motor. Any idea what could be?
2019-9-16
Use props
Raincast
Captain
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey, did you figure out the solution to your problem? I just set up a Tonin-SC with the red blinking right when you turn on the device. Thanks!

@jaycrawford
2019-12-23
Use props
Philspix
New

United Kingdom

Hi , can anybody tell me if the problem with the[b] Ronin S connecting a HDMI feed to an Ninja V has been solved. I sent mine back after getting so annoyed with it, but thinking of the SC if the problem was fixed.
I'm using a Nikon Z6 and Atamos Ninja V.
Problem, when Nikon Z6 is connected to the Ronin S using the USB cable, the live feed to the Atoms Ninja V doesn't work.
Please can someone help. Cheers.
2019-12-24
Use props
fansc1af82e9
New

United States

Just fixed this problem after two hours of trouble shooting. I just got the Ronin SC and assembled it out of the box. I’m using a Panasonic Gh5 and canon glass. The focus wheel and motor went through different iterations of blinking Red. Sometimes slow and then also a fast double blink. I powered down the device and then turned it back on while I pressed the multifunction button on the focus wheel, this set it into a “needs to be updated mode” I then proceeded to go through the update process and it booted up/calibrated focus motor perfectly.
2020-1-9
Use props
fansc1af82e9
New

United States

Just fixed this problem after two hours of trouble shooting. I just got the Ronin SC and assembled it out of the box. I’m using a Panasonic Gh5 and canon glass. The focus wheel and motor went through different iterations of blinking Red. Sometimes slow and then also a fast double blink. I powered down the device and then turned it back on while I pressed the multifunction button on the focus wheel, this set it into a “needs to be updated mode” I then proceeded to go through the update process and it booted up/calibrated focus motor perfectly.
2020-1-9
Use props
ARaitano
New
United States

I am having a similar issue with my SC and the follow focus.  There are three issues as far as I can tell.

One is that the while the wheel sees the motor (light is yellow) it will not calibrate.  On the off chance that pressing the button causes the light to blink, the motor light then begins to blink red.  When I move the wheel, the motor turns in very short 'spurts' (not much distance and very quickly).  

Also when I am connected to my GH5, the screen 'blinks' about once a second. I am using PC Tether as my connection type.  Latest GH5 firmware.

Lastly, the app is always offering the latest Firmware update even after a successful update.  In the Firmware tab the "Firmware Version' is N/A.  Wheel is 2.2 and Motor is 1.0.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
2020-1-29
Use props
Pedro Curva
New

Portugal

Can you resolve the problem?
2020-3-4
Use props
fans8b03fdd0
New

Hong Kong

This morning when I updated the firmware for my Ronin SC,the focus wheel and the external focus motor both Blinking Red(single red).Im working with a Sony A7lll Camera,the camera control button on gimble (start/stop recording) was not working too.Im using the multi splitter connected camera and Ronin SC. I can’t fix it.....please HELP ME!!!
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_PKbRYeLPuSWC
lvl.1

United States

Hello, I recently got the Dji ronin sc but ever since I turned it on! The pull focus wheel blinks red! I I’m only trying to pull focus from my camera set to manual, and not trying to use a focus motor. Online it shows this works but hasn’t been a good experience. I’m not sure if it’s a defective focus wheel. Does Dji replace this?
2020-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules