Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How would you change the Robomaster S1?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

I've been using the Robomaster since I got it last week, and have some ideas on how I would change it. Would love to hear your views on what you would change!

My wish list (hardware):
  • A bigger battery: 30 minutes is not enough! I know spare batteries are coming, but there is enough empty space in the chassis to allow for a much bigger battery.
  • Proximity / obstacle avoidance sensors: Autonomous programs would be far more interesting if the robot could detect obstacles around it.
  • VR Goggle compatibility: This would be ideal, and could allow for independent control of gimbal vs chassis.

My wish list (software):
  • Ability to assign more than one custom action at a time, with multiple on-screen buttons, or a menu.
  • Ability to pass parameters to custom actions.
  • Ability to design custom control interfaces.

2019-7-25
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

All excellent enhancements. To those, I would add:

My additional hardware wishlist:
  • an externally reloadable ammo box (the loading station design would be left to owners, but could emulate a RoboMaster Loading station);
  • the Phantom 4/Mavic Air stereo camera and side cameras with IMU for obstacle avoidance and localization. Would be great as a bolt-on add-on on top of the FPV camera;
  • with the VR Goggles, handheld controllers or gloves to replace the Gamepad control functions/joysticks.
  • replace the RoboMaster S1 hybrid controller with the Mavic Air Pro Smart Controller (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=129&filter=typeid&typeid=568)

My additional software wishlist;
  • Robot-to-Robot communications when robots are connected to a common router in Battle mode;
  • the ability to train the identification algorithms to recognize objects other than people, S1 tobots, gestures or Markers.

2019-7-25
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

After using the Gamepad quite a while, I have some thoughts on that too.

Basically, I was driving outside quite fast. In order to drive the Robomaster "like a car" I had to use the screen to change direction, and this wasn't too smooth. Also it was very easy to accidentally change gimbal pitch.

I would strongly suggest adding a right stick to the Gamepad. This would allow for joystick control of the gimbal in pitch and yaw (what happens on the screen now), and potentially have a mode where chassis yaw is controlled by sideways movement of the right stick, and gimbal pitch & yaw is controlled separately on the screen. This would allow for control more like an RC car. The Robomaster is fast and responsive enough to be driven like this, and the Meccanum drivetrain allows for some crazy drifting manouvers.
Even better: have two sticks on the Gamepad for driving, add DJI Goggle compatibility, and use the goggles to point the gimbal! (Very much like Head Tracking - Gimbal when using Goggles with Mavic Pro)
2019-7-29
Use props
BGA
lvl.4
United States

I guess what i would like most is a more flexible and complete API. Full access to everything that can be programmed inside it and no arbitrary lock downs (if something is done out of caution, let me sign a waiver and disable it).

On the hardware side I would concur that a bigger battery and more sensors (specially for obstacle avoidance) would be great. The good thing is that the Robomaster is pretty modular so it is not impossible that some o0f these sensors could become available as add-ons.
2019-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules