Mavic Air turns crazy suddenly
2454 18 2019-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlejandroMedina
lvl.2
Mexico

Hi.
I am writing a little scared since a few days ago I had a very strange experience with my mavic.

I was in Bali in a wonderful place of rice fields, where I thought it would be a good idea to use my boy, I turned on the drone, calibrated the compass, I was connected with more than 10 satellites, and after taking off without any problem or anything strange, I flew it in front of me and about 3 ft suddenly my drone went crazy and turned abruptly and fell on top of a tree and slipped until it fell into a ravine.

I recovered it and it seemed that I did not get hurt from the blow, however I do not feel safe flying the drone, I am afraid that it will happen again and it is over the sea, or in a forest and I cannot find it.

I share the log, hopefully someone can explain to me what happened.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/YYOSVRWDTAIIUHH4F65W/#
2019-7-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Strange haven't seen anything like that before?...
2019-7-25
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Near there was something massive metal? Or electrical wires?
2019-7-25
Use props
AlejandroMedina
lvl.2
Mexico

Vofas Posted at 7-25 23:20
Near there was something massive metal? Or electrical wires?

No, I tried to fly in Ubud in Bali... it’s the forest zone, and no wires, antenas, road lights... just trees
2019-7-26
Use props
AlejandroMedina
lvl.2
Mexico

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-25 22:34
Strange haven't seen anything like that before?...

I did more than 66 flights and more than 95 hours of fly without a problem.

But I don’t want to fly anymore because, I’m scared to can happen the same, and dot want to take the risk, may can hit someone or I can get lost the drone.
2019-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If that’s what happened then you have uploaded the wrong log, this log is without problems. You should have another in your device .
2019-7-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlejandroMedina Posted at 7-26 01:19

But I don’t want to fly anymore because, I’m scared to can happen the same, and dot want to take the risk, may can hit someone or I can get lost the drone.

Better to be safe than not....
2019-7-26
Use props
AlejandroMedina
lvl.2
Mexico

hallmark007 Posted at 7-26 01:26
If that’s what happened then you have uploaded the wrong log, this log is without problems. You should have another in your device .

No, I upload the right one.

How you could explain the 180 turn that made between 0m35s to 0m to 40s.

2019-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlejandroMedina Posted at 7-26 08:37
No, I upload the right one.

It’s extremely easy to explain it, you did it yourself you will see in picture below 100% yaw marked by the number 364 that’s how you craft done a 360 and your log says You done it .

2019-7-26
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

AlejandroMedina Posted at 7-26 08:37
No, I upload the right one.

Hallmark is absolutely correct: your description of the flight doesn't match what the log shows.

In the log you provided, the aircraft never goes below the takeoff point as would be expected if it "fell into a ravine". It also never went more than about one meter above its takeoff location, so it's hard to see how it "fell on top of a tree" unless the trees in that part of the world are extremely small. Last, but not least, it ended up in almost exactly the same location it took off from, which is quite an interesting coincidence if this is indeed a log showing the flight you described where it "went crazy", fell onto a tree, and then toppled into a ravine.
2019-7-26
Use props
AlejandroMedina
lvl.2
Mexico

Sorry of maybe was since  the 0m 22s, because really just was fly ahead and suddenly the dron turn left and then I tried to recover it, but wasn't successful... Could you please take a second look in that time, Im complete sure that I was just using the right stick, no way to turn to left....
2019-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlejandroMedina Posted at 7-26 16:53
Sorry of maybe was since  the 0m 22s, because really just was fly ahead and suddenly the dron turn left and then I tried to recover it, but wasn't successful... Could you please take a second look in that time, Im complete sure that I was just using the right stick, no way to turn to left....

Hi Alejandro
Looking at your log at .22 again the movement left while going forward was made by controller ie you, you weren’t pushing stick straight forward or up, but to one side causing craft to go left, it’s an easy mistake to make and I’ve done it many times.

If you feel this move was more than it should have been then calibrating RC May help this .
2019-7-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

It is possible you made a one-time simple mistake with RC controls.  It is also possible something went temporarily wrong with RC and drone communications.

Have experienced similar incident.  Despite pushing slightly up on right joystick, drone very briefly went up, then went down couple of feet.  Pushing fully up on right joystick, drone again very briefly went up, then went down.  Flight log showed exact reverse, down on right joystick.  Okay, pilot error except it didn't explain the brief ups, before the downs.

Anyway, all this is to say: I would continue to fly.  Use some initial caution, test flights in as open areas as possible.  Allowing you to also build confidence in your piloting skills.

Best of Luck!
2019-7-27
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 7-27 08:10
It is possible you made a one-time simple mistake with RC controls.  It is also possible something went temporarily wrong with RC and drone communications.

Have experienced similar incident.  Despite pushing slightly up on right joystick, drone very briefly went up, then went down couple of feet.  Pushing fully up on right joystick, drone again very briefly went up, then went down.  Flight log showed exact reverse, down on right joystick.  Okay, pilot error except it didn't explain the brief ups, before the downs.

The right joystick doesn't control altitude and I didn't see in the log where it did in this case. Where in the log do you see the drone going up (or down) in response to input from the right joystick?
2019-7-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gimpy Posted at 7-27 09:16
The right joystick doesn't control altitude and I didn't see in the log where it did in this case. Where in the log do you see the drone going up (or down) in response to input from the right joystick?

It does on my RC, which is what I was talking about as example.
2019-7-27
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 7-27 10:01

I see. I thought you were suggesting that something like that had occurred to the OP and was shown in the log he posted.
2019-7-27
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 7-27 10:01

Alright, let me get this clear: mode2Stick rightstick actually can change altitude ascend descend? Or are you claiming logs show altitude reversals of commands of rightstick?
2019-7-27
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

How did you manage to clock 95 hours on 66 flights ?
2019-7-28
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.2
Ukraine

Aparently there is an issue with remote controller - it starts malfunction over time.
I also had no any problems flying.
Then I got "drift" issue which didn't not bother me a lot.
Then latest trip I got "ghost" commands from controller - drone was crazy spinning while I had only "full down" control pressed.
After some "googling":
- controller is not mechanical
- calibrating controller might fix the problem
- in my case it does not: it is clearly seen controller does "Extra" commands I don't do with sticks.
- controller beeps at turning on signaling error.(most likely calibration required)
Resolution: mavic air is great at time of purchase, after some time it either should be landed indefinetely(so junk) or flied at your own risk(and most likely either very limited fly missions or drone crashed because of "ubnormal behavior")
Such a bummer.
2019-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules